gratuity breakdown

gigi65

Apparently , RCI has a new gratuity breakdown that lumps things together. I wanted a breakdown regarding dining service. Waiter, Asst Waiter, bar staff , head waiter etc and both times the response was vague. Does anyone know the breakdown other than:

Dining Service $6.80 ( how much do the varying wait staff receive)

Stateroom $3.85

Other: 1.35

I read a breakdown somewhere that the Head waiter is .75 Per Person/day etc. Guest services said that is no longer the case. We had amazing MDR service and left a nice thank you envelope for Waiter and assist Waiter. but was wondering how the amount was disbursed and are any gratiuites given to those working the WindJammer. ( honestly , we had to fend for our selves regarding drinks / refills anytime we ate in there.)

TIA

Apparently , RCI has a new gratuity breakdown that lumps things together. I wanted a breakdown regarding dining service. Waiter, Asst Waiter, bar staff , head waiter etc and both times the response was vague. Does anyone know the breakdown other than:

Dining Service $6.80 ( how much do the varying wait staff receive)

Stateroom $3.85

Other: 1.35

I read a breakdown somewhere that the Head waiter is .75 Per Person/day etc. Guest services said that is no longer the case. We had amazing MDR service and left a nice thank you envelope for Waiter and assist Waiter. but was wondering how the amount was disbursed and are any gratiuites given to those working the WindJammer. ( honestly , we had to fend for our selves regarding drinks / refills anytime we ate in there.)

TIA

The staff is interchangeable. Most work in both the Windjammer and MDR. they may work in the Windjammer for Breakfast and then the MDR for dinner.

Personally, I don't think the breakdown is any of our business.

On land at a nice restaurant do you care, or even ask, how much of the tip goes to the waiters, bus boy, hostess, etc. I doubt it. We know that 15%-20% gratuity is generally acceptable in the States and the way it is split between the staff is really none of our concern.

^^ Op is just asking a question. Basically you told her to mind her business. Maybe consider withholding your comments in the future if you are not offering useful advice.

OP, are you considering modifying a forced gratuity payment (such as being forced to make gratuity payments when signing up for MTD)?

Edited by snorkelman

^^ Op is just asking a question. Basically you told her to mind her business. Maybe consider withholding your comments in the future if you are not offering useful advice.

OP, are you considering modifying a forced gratuity payment (such as being forced to make gratuity payments when signing up for MTD)?

Maybe you should consider that others have offered useful advice even though it doesn't agree with you.

Personally, I agree with dplusd. I think they offered an alternate way of thinking. As my son is a chef, we don't know what part of the 20% we leave the server goes to him, if anything. It's up to the owners of the business to decide how the tips should be divided. People don't ask what I pay in taxes or what my social contributions are. Don't worry about it.

Edited by harlekuin

Whether or not you agree with the post above yours, RC apparently does. They are no longer publishing the breakdown of the dining tips.

And for the record, I didn't find the post to be in the least bit rude or out of line.

Before everyone gets all PO'D at each other, I think i Know Why the OP is curious. I was aboard the explorer last month and had GREAT dining service.It actually crossed my mind. "I hope these people are making a fair living". I took it upon myself to actually just give each of the 3 some cash. I left the normal amount (or my wife did )lol in the envelope to ensure the people behind the scenes were taken care of. I dont know how they divide between the staff and nor do i really care, But when i have service above and beyond like i did last cruise, I will go a little bit above and beyond to take care of them. If they choose to share that with the others , so be it, thats their call. Dan

Thank you all for your response. My question was coming from a good place, not to be nosey. We had exceptional service and wanted to see what the breakdown was and compensate accordingly.

In your shoes, my reaction would have been to simply hand cash to those who had provided that excellent service, beyond the standard, automatic amounts, and not given a thought to how much each had received from the "pot".

:)

This may be off topic but, I heard when you are on the drink package and you get the paper receipt to sign with a zero balance that any tip you put on it goes to the person who served you instead of in a pool. Has anyone else heard this? I did see the server put the receipt in their pocket each time I tipped per drink, just trying to verify this :D

I used to like getting the breakdown in the pre cruise paperwork, and working out envelopes for each based on me and my kids... part of what was unique about cruising...

Now with the auto-grats, no need to think about it... just give a bit extra if someone really wows us, I know that the basics are covered.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app