Carnival Splendor to Canada 9/1/14 ... a ramble (with pics!)

Cyber Kat

Enjoying your review Kat, thanks! We had friends on that sailing who enjoyed it as well. Did you find sushi anywhere? I remember from another thread we were talking about where it went due to the Taste Bar. Also, do you happen to know if the grill had chicken breast or veggie burgers? Thanks and looking forward to the rest!

Enjoying your review Kat, thanks! We had friends on that sailing who enjoyed it as well. Did you find sushi anywhere? I remember from another thread we were talking about where it went due to the Taste Bar. Also, do you happen to know if the grill had chicken breast or veggie burgers? Thanks and looking forward to the rest!

I did not find sushi - but I really didn't look for it. I didn't have time to eat half the things I'd planned :). I guess I've gotten used to the 8 day cruises and we seemed to be squeezing the 8 into a 5. The grill had chicken breast - I don't think they had a veggie burger, but I couldn't swear to that. I made a bee line for the hot dogs (I love their hot dogs with the chili sauce and cheese :) )

I wanted to do the Tasting Bar but I kept missing it. I thought it opened like 4:30 or 5:00 like the Sushi bar but it didn't open until 5:30 - which I found out too late. I didn't think to look in the Fun Times until the last day - duh! I did want to check it out. Next time!

LOVE this review so far...keep it coming!

We have this same cruise booked for October 11....we are hoping that there is till some color on the trees!

Question for you...What time did you arrive at the Port and with the FTTF, what time did they let you board?

I've never done the FTTF and am tempted....

I did not find sushi - but I really didn't look for it. I didn't have time to eat half the things I'd planned :). I guess I've gotten used to the 8 day cruises and we seemed to be squeezing the 8 into a 5. The grill had chicken breast - I don't think they had a veggie burger, but I couldn't swear to that. I made a bee line for the hot dogs (I love their hot dogs with the chili sauce and cheese :) )

I wanted to do the Tasting Bar but I kept missing it. I thought it opened like 4:30 or 5:00 like the Sushi bar but it didn't open until 5:30 - which I found out too late. I didn't think to look in the Fun Times until the last day - duh! I did want to check it out. Next time!

Thanks for the info, glad the grill has chicken. So true that 5 days goes fast with all the food options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by 092306

LOVE this review so far...keep it coming!

We have this same cruise booked for October 11....we are hoping that there is till some color on the trees!

Question for you...What time did you arrive at the Port and with the FTTF, what time did they let you board?

I've never done the FTTF and am tempted....

We got there around 10:00am (earlier than I'd intended) and I'm guessing we got to board between 11:00am and 11:30am. It was probably closer to 11. We boarded. Went from deck 3 forward to deck 7 aft. Dropped our stuff in the cabin - checked it out. Headed back to deck 3 forward so we could book Behind the Fun at the Excursion desk. Booked that and a Halifax excursion. Went to the Mongolian Wok, got my food and a DOD from the Liner Bar (aft) all before noon!

Some will say FTTF isn't worth it. I thought it was worth every penny! Was nice walking right up to Guest Services on the VIP side when there's a long line also!

Day 2

Fog! Whooovmp. Started out kind of misty with fog off in the distance, but that didn't last long. No awesome sunrise on our first sea day - oh well.

p766643000-3.jpg

Normally, we cruise with family or at least my sister, and we get room service coffee and danish for the balcony, but I wanted to have a nice breakfast in the MDR during the sea day brunch. We headed down to the Gold Pearl a little before 9am. This is a change up from our last cruise on the Splendor, because they did the sea day brunch in the Black Pearl.

Now we have a little issue, DH and I - we don't eat eggs, and can't deal with the sight or smell of eggs. Makes both of our stomachs rebel. I do better, than he does - I can eat quiche or a frittata if it has a lot of other stuff besides the eggs. I can eat at the same table with someone who is eating scrambled eggs or an omelet. Sunny-side up - is pushing it but I can cope. I need to be far away from poached, soft boiled or egg salad - I'm not sure which is worse - but the egg salad smell I can't take at all.

So I'd hoped we could get a table for 2. They gave my sister and I a table for 2 on our last cruise and we didn't even ask. No tables for 2 available - and we couldn't wait because everyone had really just started. The hostess tried to convince us by telling us she could give us a table by the window with other couples, but I told her that we'd have to ask what they were planning to order first - I didn't think that would work out so well. So much for nice warm pancakes and that yummy bread basket!

On to plan B - we headed for the buffet. We got our food and headed up the stairs to the Rotisserie on Deck 10 (I really should take a photo of this place!) - there are always great empty tables up here. People are walking around searching for a table on deck 9 and all they have to do is walk up the stairs. There is a coffee, tea and drink station so you don't even have to deal with walking up stairs with drinks (and without real trays - I hate these things!)

After we ate we did some exploring to see what was happening around the ship. We met up with the people from our non-CC group. They had been running/walking on the track. I passed up exercising on this cruise (I usually do make it to the gym a few days).

I'm going to add some photos in and then I need to consult my handy dandy Fun Times to make sure I've got things in the right order.

"Fog comes on little cat feet" ...

p868873098-3.jpg

This ship was barely full - they told us 3006 - but I don't believe it. I have never seen a Lido pool this empty when it's warm and calm on a sea day.

p1004650183-3.jpg

I couldn't believe all the empty chairs. Hardly a towel or a flip flop chair hogging

p613847028-3.jpg

p778445397-3.jpg

Starboard side Serenity Deck

p929224026-3.jpg

This had to be maybe 9:30am 10:am. I couldn't believe that no one was there.

That's 6. I'll do another installment either later today or tomorrow morning. I'm trying to remember what we did in the fog. I know we did the Wine and Food Pairing in the steak house - I'll tell you about that - it was great! And I we caught the Doctor Suess parade - but I'm trying to remember if it was this first sea day.

But I'll be back!

We got there around 10:00am (earlier than I'd intended) and I'm guessing we got to board between 11:00am and 11:30am. It was probably closer to 11. We boarded. Went from deck 3 forward to deck 7 aft. Dropped our stuff in the cabin - checked it out. Headed back to deck 3 forward so we could book Behind the Fun at the Excursion desk. Booked that and a Halifax excursion. Went to the Mongolian Wok, got my food and a DOD from the Liner Bar (aft) all before noon!

Some will say FTTF isn't worth it. I thought it was worth every penny! Was nice walking right up to Guest Services on the VIP side when there's a long line also!

Thanks again for this information. I signed up for FTTF, mostly because I am taking a red-eye flight from the West and know I will be tired by 11am after 12 hours of being on the go. I hope to drop off my luggage around 10, then head out to buy some wine and water, maybe a few other items, then back to port to board around 11. In my mind I am thinking I might take a quick nap but in reality I know I will be too excited and will be exploring the ship! :)

Wolfcel, we are on the same cruise...hope to get the chance to meet!

Thanks again for this information. I signed up for FTTF, mostly because I am taking a red-eye flight from the West and know I will be tired by 11am after 12 hours of being on the go. I hope to drop off my luggage around 10, then head out to buy some wine and water, maybe a few other items, then back to port to board around 11. In my mind I am thinking I might take a quick nap but in reality I know I will be too excited and will be exploring the ship! :)

Wolfcel, we are on the same cruise...hope to get the chance to meet!

WOW...Terrific!

This will be my 4th cruise up to Canada (my roommates first time) and I am so excited. It will be my (our) first time on the Splendor. I am traveling with my neighbor. We decided it would be a nice girls getaway and the men can stay home.

I did just purchase the FTTF. Being on board by 11:30-12noon is fantastic and to be able to drop off the bags in the cabin will be great.

Loving your review! We were on the Splendor in July (GT, HMC and Nassau). We loved El Mojito and Melody and Marissa. We had a before dinner drink there every night and we were eating in the Black Pearl! But they were so friendly and sweet and made great drinks we enjoyed talking to them each night!

DH would like to do the Canada cruise next time -- we've done the Caribbean many times but have never cruised north. Looking forward to the rest of your review!!!

Kath, wondering how you liked the "big white plates" in place of the trays! :rolleyes::p:(

They were better than the ones they had on the RCI cruise we did awhile back. The ones on Royal were more like a flattened bowl and everything sloped to the center - you ended up with a mish mosh of food.

I bought trays for $1.99 in the Christmas Tree shop. I only took one, but I used it a few times - mostly to take food back to the room on the port days. I'm definitely packing them for my next cruise :) I like a real tray.

I put the bowl with my fruit on the same plate-pretending-to-be-a-tray and the syrup from my pancakes got all over the bottom - which made a mess on the table. But I began to get smart - I picked up 2 or 3 of the plates-pretending-to-be-a-tray and I stacked them one on the bottom with the hot food - a cover and one on top of that with the cold food. They had those lips sticking out so I could carry them that way. If they think they are saving washing trays - they're kidding themselves - 'cause I used more dishes :)

I still didn't like them - but at least they were better than Royal. :cool:

Loving your review! We were on the Splendor in July (GT, HMC and Nassau). We loved El Mojito and Melody and Marissa. We had a before dinner drink there every night and we were eating in the Black Pearl! But they were so friendly and sweet and made great drinks we enjoyed talking to them each night!

DH would like to do the Canada cruise next time -- we've done the Caribbean many times but have never cruised north. Looking forward to the rest of your review!!!

We didn't have Marissa. Melody was by herself for the first 2 nights and then she had a guy whose name was Gusti - he was nice, but Melody was running the show!

I like the Canadian itinerary - it's different - whole different vibe. Not something I would do every cruise, but every so often I'd throw it in. We did a 4 day to Saint John in '05. I'd like to do the 7 day that includes Boston and Portland as well as Saint John and Halifax - but I didn't have enough vacation days left :(

They were better than the ones they had on the RCI cruise we did awhile back. The ones on Royal were more like a flattened bowl and everything sloped to the center - you ended up with a mish mosh of food.

I bought trays for $1.99 in the Christmas Tree shop. I only took one, but I used it a few times - mostly to take food back to the room on the port days. I'm definitely packing them for my next cruise :) I like a real tray.

I put the bowl with my fruit on the same plate-pretending-to-be-a-tray and the syrup from my pancakes got all over the bottom - which made a mess on the table. But I began to get smart - I picked up 2 or 3 of the plates-pretending-to-be-a-tray and I stacked them one on the bottom with the hot food - a cover and one on top of that with the cold food. They had those lips sticking out so I could carry them that way. If they think they are saving washing trays - they're kidding themselves - 'cause I used more dishes :)

You are a GENIUS! :D;)

You are a GENIUS! :D;)

What I do is order something from room service, then use the tray that they bring you. One less thing to buy or pack!

For someone who had never sailed on Carnival and has now done 4 cruises on Splendor since February, I am loving the diffferent opinions everyone has of the ship, food, itineraries etc...

Trays? I never knew trays were an issue. (lol) I've never eaten at the Lido on any cruise so I guess it's not something I'd think about!

Enjoying all the comments.....and the photos. My favorite day was Nova Scotia..Bright and sunny and I had the ship to myself. It was great.

Going back on 10/11 and maybe 10/24....!

For someone who had never sailed on Carnival and has now done 4 cruises on Splendor since February, I am loving the diffferent opinions everyone has of the ship, food, itineraries etc...

Trays? I never knew trays were an issue. (lol) I've never eaten at the Lido on any cruise so I guess it's not something I'd think about!

Enjoying all the comments.....and the photos. My favorite day was Nova Scotia..Bright and sunny and I had the ship to myself. It was great.

Going back on 10/11 and maybe 10/24....!

Come join us on the 10/24 repo. We have a nice roll call going.

You too Karry!!!

What I do is order something from room service, then use the tray that they bring you. One less thing to buy or pack!

I thought of doing that, but then what do you do with your room service dishes and how do you keep the room steward from taking it?