When will all the ships go to Dynamic?

Fastback89

Obviously, we have different priorities.

We are drawn to the traditional dining experience, where we do not have to make plans or reservations, and we know that there is a table waiting for our family to gather together at the end of the day. We like having the same wait team, tablemates, and a rotating menu. We never book specialty dining and we never eat in the buffet for dinner. While the food isn't top quality, it is excellent in our opinion (and not merely acceptable), so I wouldn't call ourselves foodies who need to cruise with Oceania, nor could we afford that.

Entertainment is our #1 priority, and the traditional dining experience (again, not necessarily the food) is #2. What draws us to cruising is that we don't have to make any plans. We just show up at the MDR or dining room at the designated time, and there is no work or preparation that I need to do.

I feel the same way. We usually request a table for 6-8 as we typically travel just DH & myself. We have tired the MTD when we had to book the Explorer when our Grandeur cruise was canceled 5 days before sailing due to fire. We were lucky and were able to book the same time & table with the same table mates for the entire cruise. I am not canceling our Freedom cruise but will hold off booking any others till we see how we like it.

Royal is adding Dynamic Dining to obtain a competitive advantage over other cruise lines by giving their passengers what they prefer. Obviously, Royal has done extensive market research and testing and has concluded that their targeted demographic is not the traditional (early/late seating, same table, same table mates, same waitstaff, and one or two formal nights per week).

I understand what your saying about pre-paying gratuities. But the math doesn't add up. Consider the cost of implementing DD in a ship. Re-configuring the dining venues, training the staff, etc. Now compare that cost to the gains of getting the gratuities paid 75 days earlier. You're looking at paybacks on the order of 100 years. Seriously doubt Royal would incur the costs for such a minor gain.

I've never even considered removing gratuities and I really could care less whether they are added at final payment (pre-paid) or on a daily basis (traditional). Consequently, I only have a vague idea about removing gratuities. So correct me if I'm mistaken. Cannot pre-paid gratuities be removed once upon ship? Isn't the process for removing them the same as if the gratuities are posted on a traditional or daily basis?

The only difference I can see is that if you are removing the traditional gratuities, they would be deducted from your total due at the end of the cruise. If you ask to remove the pre-paid gratuities, would not the pre-paid gratuities be posted to the credit card account you used to pre-pay?

Seriously, I do not know and am only asking.

FWIW, when I booked the Allure cruise for March 2016, I was given the choice of traditional or my time dining. Chose my time.

You do not realize then that Pre Paid grats for MTD are non removable once onboard the ship? and non removable before sailing unless you switch back to traditional dinning before you board?

There has been mention by a cruiser once being able to do this but pre paid grats are paid to a different accounting department to the one used onboard.

To remove your pre paid grats for MTD they would need to be claimed back from RCI land accounts by either ship accounts department or personal after cruise contact, so you would need a documented reason to do so!

I am sure there are many more MTD,s who have been successful in removing pre paid grats for good reason but will not divulge this info in fear of ridicule or being branded as a "Stiffer"

How can a service be disputed before it is used? If you have one documented bad experience with MTD then the staff will be forced to make the next a fully satisfactory experience, thus "One Bad Apple" and doesnt necessitate the removal of grats.

But you do not at present need any reason whatsoever or even an explanation to remove daily auto grats at guest services whilst on board.

You can pay your daily autos with OBC you cannot pay your Pre paid grats for MTD with OBC unless you switch from Trad to MTD once on board so with no trad dinning available OBC would no longer be an option for anyone to pay grats with it, OBC would then be only redeemable for goods purchased on board or forfeited if un used.

The only real explanation behind pre paid grats for MTD is to stop MTD,s removing grats in the first place. By not striking up a report with wait staff as done in trad dinning MTD,s may be more inclined to reduce or remove grats if they were removable.

Many cruisers remove gratuities for many reasons, this does not "seem" to be the case with most CC members but they are only about 1% of the cruising market:)

If all gratuities were pre paid because of dinning non option then almost 100% of cruisers would pay 100% of each sailing gratuity:)

Put simply Auto daily grats are very easily removed and are, Pre paid grats for MTD are much harder to remove so are not:) Fully implementing Pre Paid for DD would be the same :)

Edited by fishtaco

it's not a matter of "taking our ball and going", it's obviously a matter of intelligent, prudent decision making.

Exactly....Royal has made an intelligent decision to offer this form of dining because their data says it's what people want. ;)

Doubtful. Anyone ready to jump on board, is already jumping. DD is not likely to pull in any new non cruisers, to try it.

You don't seem to get it. Every time someone leaves Royal because they don't like a particular change, someone else steps in to take their place. I can't recall the last time I boarded a ship and did not see a sign stating that no upgrades are available because the ship is full.

It's time to take a look around you and realize that the cruise industry is changing. You say you like a set dining time and a set dining table....but that style of dining is losing popularity. Look at all the threads where people ask about getting a table for 2 because they don't want to share a table with strangers. Then look at MTD and how popular it's been. And specialty restaurants? They keep adding more so there must be a lot of people who like them. A lot of people accepted set dining for years because it was the only thing offered. As soon as different options became available people were all over them. Royal sees this, and is responding accordingly.

to say nothing of scaring off lots of potential newbies who may well find this maze of booking dinners for every night, booking excursions, booking spa treatments, booking specialty restaurants, booking shows, and lessons of various types, booking gym classes, adding that into booking your airfare, and booking your pre-cruise hotel, and booking your to-hotel, to ship and ship to airport transfers. This may be the one last thing that scares some off of ever trying cruising altogether.

LOL, give people a little credit; they aren't all as incapable as you would make them out to be. Most of what you mentioned is applicable no matter what kind of dining a ship offers.... spa treatments, excursions, lessons, gym classes, airfare, hotel, and transfers. Those things aren't unique to Royal so if people are scared to book those things they won't cruise, period.

There will always be some who don't want to also book dining and shows, but plenty of people don't mind at all, including newbies. After all, if you plan a land based trip for instance, wouldn't you have to find restaurants, make dinner reservations, and book assorted excursions or entertainment options? And of course, if one has a travel agent, the agent can do the booking for you.

As with any change, Royal (like any business) knows some customers won't like it and may leave. But you can bet they are confident that there are more who WILL like the change than won't. When ships started getting bigger, some said how terrible the large ships were and that it was a huge mistake. Guess what? People kept booking them! So the cruise lines kept building them. Guess that wasn't a dumb decision after all. Same with various other changes over the years. :)

Ok one question.

We are on allure sailing back home from Barcelona next year.

So we will need to make reservations for 13 nights dinner unless we eat in we or cafe, etc.

Do I need to keep track of all these reservations?

Or, do they send an email reminder? Maybe I can view on line some how?

We have not sailed royal in 10 years so not sure how this works.

How do most people book? Shows first and then fill in with dining?

I don't mind planning as I plan many 3 week plus land vacations in Europe.

Thanks

Cheryl

You do not realize then that Pre Paid grats for MTD are non removable once onboard the ship? and non removable before sailing unless you switch back to traditional dinning before you board?

There has been mention by a cruiser once being able to do this but pre paid grats are paid to a different accounting department to the one used onboard.

To remove your pre paid grats for MTD they would need to be claimed back from RCI land accounts by either ship accounts department or personal after cruise contact, so you would need a documented reason to do so!

I am sure there are many more MTD,s who have been successful in removing pre paid grats for good reason but will not divulge this info in fear of ridicule or being branded as a "Stiffer"

How can a service be disputed before it is used? If you have one documented bad experience with MTD then the staff will be forced to make the next a fully satisfactory experience, thus "One Bad Apple" and doesnt necessitate the removal of grats.

But you do not at present need any reason whatsoever or even an explanation to remove daily auto grats at guest services whilst on board.

You can pay your daily autos with OBC you cannot pay your Pre paid grats for MTD with OBC unless you switch from Trad to MTD once on board so with no trad dinning available OBC would no longer be an option for anyone to pay grats with it, OBC would then be only redeemable for goods purchased on board or forfeited if un used.

The only real explanation behind pre paid grats for MTD is to stop MTD,s removing grats in the first place. By not striking up a report with wait staff as done in trad dinning MTD,s may be more inclined to reduce or remove grats if they were removable.

Many cruisers remove gratuities for many reasons, this does not "seem" to be the case with most CC members but they are only about 1% of the cruising market:)

If all gratuities were pre paid because of dinning non option then almost 100% of cruisers would pay 100% of each sailing gratuity:)

Put simply Auto daily grats are very easily removed and are, Pre paid grats for MTD are much harder to remove so are not:) Fully implementing Pre Paid for DD would be the same :)

Some interesting information. Did not know that the prepay cannot be refunded, if you wish it removed. Can't imagine ever needing to do so, but interesting to know.

Ok one question.

We are on allure sailing back home from Barcelona next year.

So we will need to make reservations for 13 nights dinner unless we eat in we or cafe, etc.

Do I need to keep track of all these reservations?

Or, do they send an email reminder? Maybe I can view on line some how?

We have not sailed royal in 10 years so not sure how this works.

How do most people book? Shows first and then fill in with dining?

I don't mind planning as I plan many 3 week plus land vacations in Europe.

Thanks

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, They will send you an e-mail every time you make a reservation. Plus you will be able to go to your Calendar on the Royal page, and see everything you have booked. And you can print out the final version whenever you like.

But that being said, yes you do need to keep track of everything. Check on what you've got listed, from time to time; and more frequently as the countdown grows closer, because Royal has made a habit lately of scrambling things, deleting reservations and just plain getting it wrong. Makes all the reserving of stuff a major PIA, not the simple walk in Central park that the DD-is-God's-Gift people would have you believe. Just getting onto the page to even look at this stuff has proved near impossible on many occasions both with our current Oasis booking, and with our Allure cruise last November.

Edited by Gayle V

LOL, give people a little credit; they aren't all as incapable as you would make them out to be. Most of what you mentioned is applicable no matter what kind of dining a ship offers.... spa treatments, excursions, lessons, gym classes, airfare, hotel, and transfers. Those things aren't unique to Royal so if people are scared to book those things they won't cruise, period.

There will always be some who don't want to also book dining and shows, but plenty of people don't mind at all, including newbies. After all, if you plan a land based trip for instance, wouldn't you have to find restaurants, make dinner reservations, and book assorted excursions or entertainment options? And of course, if one has a travel agent, the agent can do the booking for you.

As with any change, Royal (like any business) knows some customers won't like it and may leave. But you can bet they are confident that there are more who WILL like the change than won't. When ships started getting bigger, some said how terrible the large ships were and that it was a huge mistake. Guess what? People kept booking them! So the cruise lines kept building them. Guess that wasn't a dumb decision after all. Same with various other changes over the years. :)

You missed the point. Yes, there is lots to book with all cruise lines. More than enough, actually more than too much. Have you never heard of the straw that breaks the camel's back? Well that is what I was talking about. I thought that was clear.

BTW, if your TA is booking your shows, and dinners, and excursions and spa treatments for you, in additions to air,hotel and transfers, with out additional compensation, well then you have found one real gem. Hang on to her.

Edited by Gayle V

Just remember with RCI's computer glitches every-time you log into my cruises the system re-prices your cruise and you have to call resolutions to get it corrected!

Should make making all these reservations so much fun!!!!!

Ive never had a problem with any of my reservations being repriced. I know lots have but a lot have not as well.

Exactly....Royal has made an intelligent decision to offer this form of dining because their data says it's what people want. ;)

You don't seem to get it. Every time someone leaves Royal because they don't like a particular change, someone else steps in to take their place. I can't recall the last time I boarded a ship and did not see a sign stating that no upgrades are available because the ship is full.

It's time to take a look around you and realize that the cruise industry is changing. You say you like a set dining time and a set dining table....but that style of dining is losing popularity. Look at all the threads where people ask about getting a table for 2 because they don't want to share a table with strangers. Then look at MTD and how popular it's been. And specialty restaurants? They keep adding more so there must be a lot of people who like them. A lot of people accepted set dining for years because it was the only thing offered. As soon as different options became available people were all over them. Royal sees this, and is responding accordingly.

Count me in as a fan of set dining at a big table, but the reality is the past several cruises have had several empty seats at those big tables. In fact my wife was on a TA this spring and a 10 top had just 3 people. Luckily she made a friend on the plane trip down and finshed the cruise at MTD. now here is the interesting part, they ended up eating MTD with almost the same group of people the entire voyage

Hi Cheryl, They will send you an e-mail every time you make a reservation. Plus you will be able to go to your Calendar on the Royal page, and see everything you have booked. And you can print out the final version whenever you like.

But that being said, yes you do need to keep track of everything. Check on what you've got listed, from time to time; and more frequently as the countdown grows closer, because Royal has made a habit lately of scrambling things, deleting reservations and just plain getting it wrong. Makes all the reserving of stuff a major PIA, not the simple walk in Central park that the DD-is-God's-Gift people would have you believe. Just getting onto the page to even look at this stuff has proved near impossible on many occasions both with our current Oasis booking, and with our Allure cruise last November.

Thanks, that helps

So far only the Oasis and the Freedom dates have been announced in addition to the two new ships.

Where did you hear that all the ships are switching?

When was Freedom announced? I (and Google) must've missed that one.