Best ship for 15/16 year old boys?

happymoes

I generally say that a ship is a ship. I can't think why that would be any different for a 15 or 16 year old. Some have more elaborate video arcades and other similarly subtle differences. Some have slightly more elaborate sports areas, although, again, the differences are more subtle than significant.

My 16 year old son would probably prefer the ship that has the most 16 year old girls, which is pretty much any ship in the line, if you're sailing around school breaks!

My 16 year old son would probably prefer the ship that has the most 16 year old girls, which is pretty much any ship in the line, if you're sailing around school breaks!

:D LOL! That's exactly right! We just went on Paradise (not much on that ship in the way of entertainment for youngsters) in August in our group were 3 teenage boys, 14 and 15. Wherever there were girls, there were the boys!

My 15 year old twin boys chose the Breeze after watching videos of the sports and waterworks activities. We are also traveling with friends that have younger children and overall the Breeze appears to have everything we were looking for. I should mention the boys are happy to be cruising on any of the Carnival ships but they're really looking forward to being on the Breeze.

Edited by Aviendah

Taking my son, who'll be 16 by then, on a spring break cruise in March...We're going on our own ( no other friends/family) and while he has plenty of friends here at home he's not a "mixer", i.e. he's not going to walk into a room of other teens he doesn't know and make lifetime friends..If I didn't feel so badly leaving him at home over spring break I would. Lol

That said, when I asked him what he'd do during our time on the ship, he said, "Eat", "Sleep", and look for free internet connections. :rolleyes: But he said he was good with that, as long as we could get an early flight home when we get off...(At least T-mobile is now offering free text msg'ing now from almost anywhere)...He's fine with going, but not enthusiastic...Anyway, I could have booked the SS Minnow as far as he's concerned, so I did little to no research as to which ships might be more teen friendly because I knew in my case it wouldn't matter.

( Going to England early next summer...Now that he IS excited about)...Just indulging his mother on this one.

Experienced Carnival travelers...what do you think would be a good choice for my 10th grade boys?

If they are active boys, I would choose Breeze, Magic, or Sunshine because of Sportsquare.

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-entertainment/sportsquare.aspx

Both Breeze and Sunshine have Guy's Burgers too. If your boys are burger lovers, they'd enjoy that.

http://www.carnival.com/onboard/cruise-food/guys-burger-joint.aspx

How about a Maine Windjammer-your kids were learn to live as if it was in the 1800's. No phones, no tv, they would learn how to sail, and to row, hoist a sail, drop an anchor, read a map, and cook in a wood burning stove- and learn to entertain themselves without electronic gadgets. Just throwing that out there...

Taking my son, who'll be 16 by then, on a spring break cruise in March...We're going on our own ( no other friends/family) and while he has plenty of friends here at home he's not a "mixer", i.e. he's not going to walk into a room of other teens he doesn't know and make lifetime friends..If I didn't feel so badly leaving him at home over spring break I would. Lol

That said, when I asked him what he'd do during our time on the ship, he said, "Eat", "Sleep", and look for free internet connections. :rolleyes: But he said he was good with that, as long as we could get an early flight home when we get off...(At least T-mobile is now offering free text msg'ing now from almost anywhere)...He's fine with going, but not enthusiastic...Anyway, I could have booked the SS Minnow as far as he's concerned, so I did little to no research as to which ships might be more teen friendly because I knew in my case it wouldn't matter.

( Going to England early next summer...Now that he IS excited about)...Just indulging his mother on this one.

Gotta say, based on above, why are you taking him again? Teenage boys!!!! Been there, done that....Consider saving your $ for England.....:)

My boys never participated in any of the camp carnival activities because they would have been split up, so they have enjoyed other things on each of the ships we've been on thus far (they weren't on the Mardi Gras cause they weren't born yet...haha and they weren't on Pride with me).......basketball, mini golf, EATING, bean bag tournaments, family comedy shows, entertainment, GIRLS, arcade......there was enough to keep them occupied and happy. I think your boys will be fine on any ship. Especially during the summer months or spring break because of the GIRLS :D.

Edited by TheShayQueen

I have a 16.5 yo HS junior who has sailed with me since he was 9 years old (along with his younger brother). We've done both Carnival and Royal.

For both of them, their single requirement is the flowrider. They like water parks, but get tired of them quickly, and only the younger one likes basketball. They'll do mini golf, and if I let him, the older one would eat himself sick, which he simply doesn't need (he's not one of those tall, lean drinks of water...unfortunately he takes after me with having to watch his weight).

We did Sensation out of Florida and Glory out of NY. When I suggested another Carnival cruise, they both said they'd rather not go. Neither likes salt water pools, and without the flowrider, it wouldn't be worth it to them. Now I know many would say they should feel lucky that I'd take them and suck it up, but frankly, since I'm spending the money, I don't want to spend my week with kids I know are not enjoying themselves.

So each kid is different. Sure, the older one likes girls and on our just completed August cruise, met some on line at the flowrider who he hung out with several evenings. But his main focus is flowboarding. Without that, it's not a vacation for him.