Enhanced Driver's License

michiganredrose

We are booked on the Liberty leaving from Port Canaveral and ending in San Juan. I am going to get myself and my daughter passports but my question is about my son. When I got his driver's license I went ahead and bumped him up to an enhanced driver's license. From my understanding, that should be all I need for him, correct?

I checked Carnival's website FAQ's on the issue but if you read their information it makes it sound like you only need a regular driver's license and birth certificate which I know isn't right. I did more googling and came upon Norwegian's information, which is much easier to read and they say that an enhanced driver's license is acceptable. Just wondering if anyone has actually used one on an open jaw sailing?

This question in no way indicates whether I will or will not be getting him a passport, it is just a question.

We are booked on the Liberty leaving from Port Canaveral and ending in San Juan. I am going to get myself and my daughter passports but my question is about my son. When I got his driver's license I went ahead and bumped him up to an enhanced driver's license. From my understanding, that should be all I need for him, correct?

I checked Carnival's website FAQ's on the issue but if you read their information it makes it sound like you only need a regular driver's license and birth certificate which I know isn't right. I did more googling and came upon Norwegian's information, which is much easier to read and they say that an enhanced driver's license is acceptable. Just wondering if anyone has actually used one on an open jaw sailing?

This question in no way indicates whether I will or will not be getting him a passport, it is just a question.

Yes. He is all set. We are one of 4 (I think it's 4) states with EDL's and they are sufficient for land and sea travel, just not air.

I just used my enhanced license. The TSA lady was kind of an idiot and didn't know what it was and told me I couldn't board. I told her the Carnival website states an enhanced license is enough and then she said oh I didn't know this was enhanced, and let me through. I'm not going to lie, I was freaking out for a minute!

Thank you! That's what I thought but then I started questioning myself.

I just used my enhanced license. The TSA lady was kind of an idiot and didn't know what it was and told me I couldn't board. I told her the Carnival website states an enhanced license is enough and then she said oh I didn't know this was enhanced, and let me through. I'm not going to lie, I was freaking out for a minute!

This is what I fear, getting someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and having to stress about it.

Just realized that I can get my daughter an enhanced state ID card for $30. That is going to have to be my backup plan if I don't get the passport form from my ex-husband before he deploys. I keep asking and he tells me he's too busy to get the form notarized.

So, I can breathe a little easier having a backup plan. I do have the single parent travel form that he signed before our last cruise that is just a blanket letter good until they're 18, so I am covered there. Maybe I'll just have to fly to Hawaii to get her passport application filled out with him.

Thank you! That's what I thought but then I started questioning myself.

This is what I fear, getting someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and having to stress about it.

If you do run into one of those remember- they have a supervisor who undoubtedly does know what an EDL is.:)

A couple of years ago Delaware started handing out the EDL's. I have wondered about how acceptable they are in place of the DL and BC. We have Passports and used them when we obtained the EDLs to prove citizenship. We will still renew the Passports when it is time. Never know where we might want to travel!

I checked Carnival's website FAQ's on the issue but if you read their information it makes it sound like you only need a regular driver's license and birth certificate which I know isn't right.

I'm sorry, what's wrong with a regular driver's license and birth certificate? Pretty sure that's exactly what my friend used in March.

I believe that is the correct information.:)

Bill

If the cruise is to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean (some exceptions in the Caribbean), then the EDL is 100% acceptable all the time without the need for a BC. I've done it and can confirm with 100% certainty that it works.

Anywhere that a license plus birth certificate is acceptable, an EDL is also acceptable. An EDL is essentially exactly the same as a passport card (which is also valid for land/sea crossings).

You can of course use a regular license with a birth certificate as well for a cruise in those same areas.

Edited by yankee04

I'm sorry, what's wrong with a regular driver's license and birth certificate? Pretty sure that's exactly what my friend used in March.

If the cruise is to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean (some exceptions in the Caribbean), then the EDL is 100% acceptable all the time without the need for a BC. I've done it and can confirm with 100% certainty that it works.

Anywhere that a license plus birth certificate is acceptable, an EDL is also acceptable. An EDL is essentially exactly the same as a passport card (which is also valid for land/sea crossings).

You can of course use a regular license with a birth certificate as well for a cruise in those same areas.

The OP is not on a closed loop cruise, so a DL/BC combination will not work. An EDL will work for these types of sailings (as will a passport card).

The OP is not on a closed loop cruise, so a DL/BC combination will not work. An EDL will work for these types of sailings (as will a passport card).

So each one of these cruises that go to San Juan one way every person needs a passport?

If so, why? You seem to know these passport issues inside and out based on your past post.

I can't see that happening but that's just my opinion.

Bill

So each one of these cruises that go to San Juan one way every person needs a passport?

If so, why? You seem to know these passport issues inside and out based on your past post.

Bill

It's an issue because my cruise starts in Port Canaveral and ends in San Juan therefore making it not a closed loop cruise. If it stopped in San Juan and then went back to Port Canaveral it would be different but starting and ending in different ports makes it so I can't travel with only my birth certificate and driver's license like I have on every other cruise.

Bill

The ability to use a drivers license and birth certificate for a closed loop cruise is an exception to the DHS regulations governing the use of passports to enter the US. If a cruise starts in one US port and ends in another then it is not a closed loop cruise, so the exception does not apply. For these open jaw sailings one has to have a passport, passport card or EDL. Normally you won't see too many open jaw sailings between US ports because of the PVSA, but it is my understanding that San Juan is treated differently for the PVSA, thereby allowing this to occur.

I just thought of something. If you were booked on the Liberty in March doing a closed loop cruise from Port Canaveral using a BC and govt photo ID and now that Carnival has announced the repositioning of the Liberty to San Juan and you happened to be on the repositioning cruise now, you have to go and get a passport now for this cruise since Carnival isn't allowing anybody to cancel?

That doesn't sound right to me .

Bill

Please keep one thing in mind, while many states are now handing out EDL's, NOT all of them are considered EDL's yet.

The following five states currently issue an EDL that is approved for cruises: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.

Wisconsin has EDL's now, but they don't count, many other states also have EDL's that have not been "approved" yet.

Edited by pbsteve