Oslo

I wrote this up for Oslo. Look about right?

Thanks,

Kurt

Port: Oslo, Norway

Schedule Date: June 15, 2006 (Thursday)

Schedule Time: 2:30-9:00

Currency: Kroner (Available onboard)

Tour: On-own

Money needed: 160(nok); exchange $40 worth; $1=7 NOK

Docked: By Fortress

Other ships in port: None

Public Holiday: No

Things to see:

1) Sailing up fjord to Oslo (62km)

2) Leaving Oslo (9:00ish)

3) Viking Ship (Vikingskiphuset)

4) Akershus Castle (1299) Fortress/grounds area (Good pictures)

5) Radhuset (City Hall-1950-Nobel Peace Prize given here-{9-5}-40NOK

6) Palace/Parliament/University/National Theater

7) Norwegian Resistance Museum (Norges Hjemmefrontmuseet) {10-5} 25 NOK

8) Domkirke (Oslo Cathedral)

9) Info Center by City Hall (9-7); Info. Booth set up at pier.

10) Paleet Shopping

11) Christiania Bymodell (12-5)

Viking Ship Museum

-Hours 9-6

-40 NOK per adult

-wing of museum with artifacts/ Gift Shop

-vantage points looking down on ships

Ferry Schedule

-20 NOK each way;per adult

2:45; 3:05; 3:25; 3:45; 4:05; 4:25; 5:05; 5:15; 5:45; 6:15; 6:45

-Ship to City Hall~10 min.

-Ferry from City Hall to Dronningen~10-15 min.

-Bygdoy Museum Boat~Pier 3

-Dronningen Pier to Viking Musuem~15-20 min.

Akershus Castle

-Hours-castle open 10-4;Grounds 6-9pm

-Guided Tours-3:00 pm-40 NOK per Adult

-Resistance Museum in Fortress Complex

Leave ship, get information at Pier Booth; Fortress on Right, head to Radhust, ferry pier. Akershusstranda Road north towards Radhust. Pier 3 Bygdoy Musuem Boat to Dronningen Pier. Ferry Ride 10-15min. Dronningen Pier, walk Huk Aveny towards Viking Musuem; 15-20 min. walk. Viking Ship on right.

Ferry back to Pier. Radhust to Palace to Cathedral to Fortress to ship. Olav V’s gate; make right onto Stortingsgata and see National theatre on left. Take Stortingsgata west to Frederiksgate. See Palace. Then down Karl Johans Gate past Oslo University on left. On right (down by Akersgata intersection) Stortinget (parliament). Post Office on left. Continue to Oslo Domkirke on left. After Cathedral outside visit, down Kirkegata make right onto Radhussata; left onto Akersgata (towards fortress) walk through complex take pictures. Through Fortress back to ship to eat and sail away.

(If arrive early or on-time;check out Resistance Museum)

And I thought I planned. ;)

Note, when we were at the Viking museum in July, which is peak tourist but maybe not even as peak as June because of June's White Nights draw, there were lines of crowds waiting to enter, and it was very congested inside. I say this only for your planning purposes, as I do not know how many other attractions you will get to see during opening hours if you happen to face a similar bottleneck at the Viking museum.

One new attraction in Oslo eff. June 2005 is the Nobel Peace Center. It is the home of the Nobel Peace Prize. All other Nobel prizes are awarded in Stockholm. We saw the Nobel museum in Stockholm, as well, and for our tastes and interests, the peace prize museum in Oslo was far superior, YMMV.

Anyway, just wanted to you know about that possiblity in case you weren't aware of it, as many guide books don't mention this new museum. It is conveniently located just steps from the ferry dock and city hall.

http://www.nobelpeacecenter.org/main.php?page=start

It rained all day long while we were in Oslo! We walked and stuck to public transportation anyway...but we were glad to have umbrellas and ponchos. Be prepared. We had several rainy days during our trip.

Our favorite sight in Oslo was the Viegland park with its hundreds of bronze and granite statues! Absolutely incredible!! We also enjoyed the Ra II and Kon Tiki museums. We took the tour bus that is right outside the ship - $20 US for a several-hour guided tour. Our guide was excellent and spoke perfect English.

Mike

Our favorite sight in Oslo was the Viegland park with its hundreds of bronze and granite statues! Absolutely incredible!! We also enjoyed the Ra II and Kon Tiki museums. We took the tour bus that is right outside the ship - $20 US for a several-hour guided tour. Our guide was excellent and spoke perfect English.

Mike

Was this a public bus? Could you elaborate?

A couple we went with also liked the Viegland park the best in Oslo. We just got a glance of it but did not go inside. The $20 bus tour is parked right outside where the ship lets people off. We took a cruise tour. I personally was not so impressed with the Viking museum. The ship in Stockholm that they brought up was much more impressive.

Neil

A couple we went with also liked the Viegland park the best in Oslo. We just got a glance of it but did not go inside. The $20 bus tour is parked right outside where the ship lets people off. We took a cruise tour. I personally was not so impressed with the Viking museum. The ship in Stockholm that they brought up was much more impressive.

Neil

"Hop On Hop Off bus" is a good deal to see the sights ...they stop right at the docks http://www.city-sightseeing.com/

We enjoyed the Vasa museum as well.

http://www.abc.se/~m10354/publ/vasa.htm

The sculpture park was the best sight in Oslo, imo. We took the ship tour, but could have skipped the ski jump. I thought we were going to get a good photo op of the fijord, but we didn't. I think the bus might have been a better way to go.

We got the Oslo Pass and it included the admissions for everything we did:

Kon Tiki Museum

Fram Museum

Viking Ship Museum

Akerhaus fortress

Resistance Museum

Plus all the trams, buses and ferries were included in the price of the pass as well...we definitely got our money's worth!!

Archived