Questions about lan chile airlines

Mura

We have an upcoming trip on Oceania (Lima to NYC) so I'm looking for flights down to Lima. I know that LAN's business class is not considered top of the line -- more that it is basic -- but that is okay with us as long as there is enough space for comfort.

My question is triggered because an email friend wrote that they used LAN in 2003 -- admittedly a long time ago and I don't think it's fair to judge a company by an 11 year old comment. But they had problems with seat reservations not being honored, and late and delayed flights.

Has anyone traveled recently on LAN that can give a more up-to-date report on what we might expect? The price is certainly right for a business class flight.

Thanks,

Mura

That's good to hear. I found a site that has customer reviews which had some positive but more negative reports. Also, most of the comments were from people in economy. I'm not expecting absolute answers, of course, but it's good to know that you had a good flight.

Mura

Thanks, Paul, that was interesting. (Don't worry that I'm going to answer each and every post here ... Just know that I'm reading your answers!)

Since I posted my question I've found several other sites that give info, and the answers are hither and yon. Some people love LAN, even in Economy, others don't.

OTOH, when I checked prices last night (not just on LAN but on AA and UAL as well) they were half of what I'm seeing tonight!

So we may go for the AA FF flights, depending on what I'm seeing NOW!

My problem is that I really don't know what day we need to arrive in Lima, because we're doing a pre-cruise Machu Picchu trip. So far I'm guessing.

Mura

Flying LAN down to Lima was better than coming back to the States. Food was much better on the way down as well as service. The planes were fairly new when we flew in October. Economy was quite comfortable and the business seats for the North American flights were definitely larger. The plane from Lima to Cuzco was near as fancy and the business class there did not look as fancy as the long distance flights.

If you are doing Macchu Pichu take a walking stick with you. There are some paths that are quite steep and if it is wet, slippery.

Brian Kelly (who is really tall around 6'6") recently flew from MIA to Santiago in business class on LAN Chile here is his detailed review http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/flight-review-lan-767-300-premium-business-class-mia-scl/

He is an expert on flying and using points and I highly recommend his website http://thepointsguy.com/

I think there is still a 50,000 point bonus on the BA Visa card floating around and you can use BA Avios to book flights on LAN Chile.

I am totally embarrassed to say that I really wasn't asking about LAN at all ...:o

And further research at various sites gave me plenty of positive reviews, although not entirely. And economy being economy, most of the negative reviews were there.

But I was REALLY asking about COPA ...which for tightwads like us is half the price. Rather than asking everyone to switch threads midstream, I'll do some basic research first. (COPA has the drawback of having plenty of flights leaving at 2 in the morning but flying to Lima from NYC does have its advantages in that you don't HAVE to do so. If leaving from Rio, I think you do ... with COPA.

I've concluded that with Lan's fares it really doesn't matter how good they are because we can use FF miles on American or United. OR fly cheap on COPA.

My apologies for starting something I shouldn't have!

Mura

Edited by Mura

Just in case somebody wants to know:

We have just come back from Quito's brand new Sucre airport to Miami on LAN Ecuador. Business class has large seats that fold down completely, nice pillow and comforter. Service was very friendly. Way better than business class on United from Sydney back to the US. United had the Wicked Witch of the West as a hostess. I did not eat the 3 part LAN meal because it was after midnight.

We used the Sucre business lounge that offered all sorts of drink, sandwiches and other snacks, way better than American lounges. It was spacious and Swiss style clean.

Embarkation was chaotic to say the least. It reminded me of a Chinese train station. Lots of ineffective staff that should be sent to learn from Disney.

Sorry, I have no experience with COPA, but I also liked business on Aerolinea Argentina, Air China and Lufthansa. :)

OMG, not COPA!!!!! We did South America in January, and our return trip from Buenos Aires to Houston, we had Business Class. It was Buenos Aires to Panama City to Houston. Had seats and all.

When we checked in they said they couldn't find our reservation, but I had all the required information. They said they "found" our reservation but it had been cancelled. They, however, had our rez from Panama City to Houston

They put us in economy from Buenos Aires to Panama City, but they had our rez from Panama City to Houston in Business.

What they did was sell our BC between BA & Panama. It was a nightmare.

We contacted them requesting a refund from BC to the economy. We cannot get a call nor a response to any of our letters. Not a single word, and it is almost a year ago.

When I told a friend about this recently, they said that COPA had the worst record in safety of any airline. I said to them that I did make it home, but with a few dollars empty out of my pocket. I may not have been physically pick pocketed, but they did so by selling my BC seats to someone else.

Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We flew with COPA a couple of times in business and they were OK. Price was OK for sure :D

Their business class seats are more like our domestic First - comfy but not lie-flat. OK for daytime flying but not for sleeping.

At least that was the way it was a couple of years ago.

I would choose LAN over COPA for an overnight flight.

Just a couple of warnings when flying in South America. It is sort of like a mob scene and the concept of lines and standing in line did not live up to my expectations -- Just not the same routines or procedures as I am used to and therefore not speaking Spanish I really had "line up problems". there are random checks by the doggies and twice people were drawn out of line around me and rather unnerving :eek: and rather emotional as lots of relatives seem to come to the airport to see people off. I really was bent out of shape when after check in and after security and after buying an expensive Coke in the airport shop that I planned to take on the flight to US there was a full out bag check at the door of the aircraft!! They took all bottles of liquid even water and bottled drinks bought in the airport.

They also allow no food to be brought into the country off the ships (another set of doggies!) and the person enforcing the rule had a very big machine gun :eek: . I also found that in the hotels the beds can be small -- even in American branded chains. You might be better off ordering 2 beds in room rather than one "matrimonial" which seemed smaller than a double.

Machu Picchu is truly awesome. If you don't like heights, you have a little problem -- very high and no handrails and steep and awesome. Worth the effort that the upper regions take to climb to upper temples but not for people with mobility issues. Worth going even if can't get to the top!! The high altitude seriously can cause breathing problems and you need to take a slower pace. One of my top 10 destinations ever! (you can look for my cousin's fingernail scratches that are in the narrow tall part. She left them there 10 years ago -- she really hates heights as much as I glory in them).

• 2 weeks later...

We took their business class from Miami to Manaus last February. Seats are narrow, food was disgusting and service non-existent. It took over 4 months to get our flights credited to our AA accounts and I was told by several AA reps that it is like pulling teeth to get them to credit miles. In our case, the AA agent took pity on me and just credited the miles -- I doubt COPA ever paid for them.

There are very few airlines I would never set foot on again -- COPA is one of them.

I'm convinced! We just booked our air on AA with FF miles ... But from what everyone has said, we won't try COPA. The price may be right, but there's more to a flight than price.

We're using LAN for our intra-Peru flights.

Mura