Tell me about the Culinary Arts Host/Party Planner

VikkiGarcia

My son Wes has an interview to become the Culinary Arts Host/ Party Planner on HAL. He has worked on Carnival for 2 contracts as part of the entertainment staff. It seems HAL runs this department a bit different by hiring you for a specific job. He is very interested in working on a more classic cruiseline and loves working with an older demographic. I would love to hear any information or insight you have on this crew member. I have read the generic discription that HAL provides but I know all you seasoned cruisers will be able to fill me in with real details.

Thanks for responding!

Have you seen this WEB site describing what the Party Planner does at HAL..

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/mvc/j38/Holland-America-Line-jobs-Party-Planner

When DH & I did our Renewal of Vows, the party planner arranged it for us & was there with the Capt. when we had our ROV.. We boarded a B2B with one set of Friends & were expecting another couple on the second half of our B2B..The Party Planner contacted me & arranged for us to have our ROV after our other good Friends, who were at our wedding, joined us on the second half of the cruise..She also arranged for my flowers & co-ordinated with the Photographer for our scrap book..

Looks like HAL keeps their Culinary Arts Hosts/Party Planners quite busy with arts & craft demo's, towel animal demo's, cooking classes, napkin folding classes, wine tastings etc ..

Sending good luck wishes to your Son..

Edited by serendipity1499

This was a new concept for me when I came back to HAL in 2011.

As I've observed this person on two cruises, I would most equate it to the job that the Assistant Cruise Director used to do with HAL and seems to do on other cruise lines.

These people have done some Arts & Crafts Stuff (scrapbooking on one cruise, ribbon weaving on another), hosts the Cooking Demos and Towel Folding Demos, hosts the Sip and Savor each evening, appears at the various Cocktail Parties and, I imagine, arranges any special parties that are requested by the guests.

I can say that on the one cruise, this person helped make it special by being very visible. On the other cruise, this person only appeared when scheduled and then was normally late