alaska radiance jeans in dining room question

jeannie126

On our Alaskan cruise we didn't bring anything even remotely close to formal attire as we were planning to spend formal nights in the WJ. When we notified the waitstaff they weren't having it and insisted on us coming to formal nights no matter what we were wearing.

Thank you for this post, Maple.

This is all that needs to be said. If our so-called "hosts" don't care what we wear, why should any one else?

It's all about revenue and tips folks. RCL lets us all be adults and choose what we want to wear to dinner. The ones that can't seem to understand this will eventually have to personally come to grips with it.

Edited by CruiseTobey

If it is clean and tidy. Wear jeans. It is a personal choice and who is to say one is right and there other is wrong.

Exactly. It's not always about what you wear, but how you wear it. People who wear a well pressed pair of designer jeans with a nice shirt and a blazer look a lot better than than people who wear a wrinkled pair of dockers and a faded polo shirt. Jeans get a bad rap around here but worn right, they can look a lot better than other outfits.

I think you can make jeans look nice, I mean really. As long as they aren't dirty and full of holes, who cares? You can for sure make jeans look nice with heels or a cute pair of flats.

People sure need to realize it's 2014 and not 1980 anymore. Or look in a magazine once and awhile and see that you can look great and fashionable in a pair of jeans.

I would have said the 1950s ;) The notion that denim exists only for manual labor is such an antiquated argument. Sure I have outdoor activity jeans, but those aren't the ones I would wear to dinner and vice versa.

And I agree with the poster who says 'if you wouldn't say it to their face, why is it excusable to post it on the internet?' Talk about societal degradation.

Exactly. It's not always about what you wear, but how you wear it. People who wear a well pressed pair of designer jeans with a nice shirt and a blazer look a lot better than than people who wear a wrinkled pair of dockers and a faded polo shirt. Jeans get a bad rap around here but worn right, they can look a lot better than other outfits.

So true.:):)

• 5 months later...

I have no problem with someone wearing jeans and a nice shirt in the main dining room. What someone wears will not affect my meal. We are traveling on the Radiance in June. Because we will have to fly to the port, we (like almost everyone else) will be limited on the amount of luggage we bring. Like another person posted, when given the choice between what items of clothing to bring, I will bring something warm over something fancy. This cruise will be the only one in which I will not dress up fancy for dinner each evening. However, I expect it to be one of the greatest vacations ever.

I have no problem with someone wearing jeans and a nice shirt in the main dining room. What someone wears will not affect my meal. We are traveling on the Radiance in June. Because we will have to fly to the port, we (like almost everyone else) will be limited on the amount of luggage we bring. Like another person posted, when given the choice between what items of clothing to bring, I will bring something warm over something fancy. This cruise will be the only one in which I will not dress up fancy for dinner each evening. However, I expect it to be one of the greatest vacations ever.

My husband and I were on the Radiance May 2014. I totally agree with everything quoted here. Alaska is a totally different type of cruise and except for formal night(s), we saw quite a few cruisers wearing jeans with nicer tops or jackets/sweaters at dinner. For a variety of reasons, people don't dress up as much for Alaska as for other types of cruises. We loved every second of our time in Alaska and I'm also glad we used our luggage for warm items and not the latest fashion.

Alaska never disappoints , enjoy your trip

Enjoy the cruise, just be aware, that the inside of the ship is not cold, but generally the same temp as the inside of a ship anywhere. I wore the same black dress on an Alaska cruise that I wore 6 months earlier on a S. Caribbean cruise. Jeans take a LONG time to dry so you may want to think twice wearing them on excursions, especially if rain is expected. I wore mid weight cords with tights underneath.

You don't need lots and lots of heavy clothing - thin silk layering works great.

Enjoy the beautiful scenery.

M

ps - The Radiance is a perfect ship for Alaska. The ship seems to have much glass.

Be aware that since in Alaska you are visiting US ports, the fashion police where slightly different uniforms.

On a traditional cruise in open water, the fashion police kill themselves by jumping overboard at the sight of jeans. In Alaska, because the shore is so close, they cannot do that: they could just float to shore. So the dining room staff set up "police booths" where the fashion police can go to either kill themselves or at least scream loudly and post a cruise critic thread, out of sight of the other diners.

cue reference to decline of society/walmart/cruise carnival line in 3....2.....1....