lost luggage during debarkation??

mjoymarshall

Still waiting to hear anything. Called yesterday but Carnival's baggage dept(?) wasn't open Sundays. Planning on calling again around noon. Luckily, I'm not into diamonds, just funky costume jewelry! (Even though after 6 years of marriage, husband still buys me diamonds and pearls. I save those for anniversary dinners.)

We booked another cruise while on board and decided that next year we're packing lighter (doing laundry if we have to) and doing self-assist. Good news is that hubby said that if the bag isn't found, he'll let me buy another pair of Michael Kors heels. :)

As I said before, we've never had any issues. Next time, this will really make me think about what we pack! My daughter is most upset because her puddle jumper was inside along with her Barbie coloring book. LOL.

Lots of good thoughts for you as you wait to find out the outcome. The thing that you have described is one of my largest fears of debarkation. Really is a rock and hard place because you are torn between doing it this way or self assist which has its own limitations. Again, hope there is some good news for you today.

Well Carnival told us where my bag is. At some lady's house in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, it's out of their hands now. They won't tell us her number or email. We're hoping she contacts us soon!! I guess she took our bag and left hers at the terminal. I don't know how people don't doublecheck.

Well at the very least it is good news that you know where it is. Hoping that the lady is polite enough to make things right in an appropriate amount of time.

Well Carnival told us where my bag is. At some lady's house in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, it's out of their hands now. They won't tell us her number or email. We're hoping she contacts us soon!! I guess she took our bag and left hers at the terminal. I don't know how people don't doublecheck.

This happened to us about 15 yrs ago, some elderly guy and his wife took our bag by mistake. The guy called us about two days after the cruise complaining that Carnival would not ship their bag that they left at the terminal, so he refused to ship us our bag because he said it wasn't fair :rolleyes:. I had to go to UPS and prepay them to go pick our bag up at the guys house and ship it, Carnival did however reimburse me when I sent them the UPS receipt, I don't know if they still do this. Good luck, and sorry this happened to you.

Why won't Carnival provide you with her contact information?? That's ridiculous.

Next time I buy luggage, I'm going to buy the craziest color or pattern. That way--someone won't think it's theirs.

Hope you get yours back soon.

Edited by lorim103

What happens if this lady never contacts you?

I don't understand Carnival not releasing her contact information to you...?

What happens if this lady never contacts you?

I don't understand Carnival not releasing her contact information to you...?

I think we will find out that Carnival has made arrangements for the bag to be shipped back to the OP. "Out of their hands" does not seem consistent with how Carnival handles these situations.

We were not given contact information when it happened to us; I assumed it was because they can't release it. I can understand the logic of avoiding irate communication. What I expect is that Carnival reps were probably assured that the suitcase would be returned through a shipping center.

A mistake was made by another passenger; it unfortunately sometimes happens. We were upset at first but let the process take its course. It was resolved quickly.

After all, it has only been one day.

There is another alternative. I would call Carnival and ask them if they have contacted the individual and are going to take any action to recover. If they say that they are not doing anything else, then I would tell Carnival that you are going to contact whatever agency has police jurisdiction over the port and file a report of theft. That you will then request that the police get the information from Carnival and charge the individual. After all if the person that took it knows that they have someone bag and does not return it, then it is theft.

There is another alternative. I would call Carnival and ask them if they have contacted the individual and are going to take any action to recover. If they say that they are not doing anything else, then I would tell Carnival that you are going to contact whatever agency has police jurisdiction over the port and file a report of theft. That you will then request that the police get the information from Carnival and charge the individual. After all if the person that took it knows that they have someone bag and does not return it, then it is theft.

I was thinking the same thing!!

Carnival should give you the contact info of the person and work with them to get it back. Its not out of their hands until it arrives at your home just like the airlines. If the porter put on the wrong bag etc then Carnival is responsible to get your bag to you.

Keep calling Carnival until you get your bag back. Don't let them release their responsibility. Don't let them get off too easy on this one.

We called carnival again tonight. We were put on hold as the rep tried to call the lady. No luck. I was told to try again tomorrow. Thanks to you guys on CC, I stressed my concern about the person not wanting to pay for shipping and how I refuse because it wasn't my fault. Carnival said that if it came down to it, they'd pick up the bag and bring it to us. So far, so good. Just have to wait on the person to answer the phone or call Carnival.

I am so hoping you find your bag. Please, please, please never place anything of real value - such as jewelry- in your checked bag. Put it in your carry-on. Good luck - I am sure your bag will turn up somewhere. (hopefully with the jewelry intact)

I was just out of high school when I learned this the hard way. Lost several items that I cared about.

Still waiting to hear anything. Called yesterday but Carnival's baggage dept(?) wasn't open Sundays. Planning on calling again around noon. Luckily, I'm not into diamonds, just funky costume jewelry! (Even though after 6 years of marriage, husband still buys me diamonds and pearls. I save those for anniversary dinners.)

We booked another cruise while on board and decided that next year we're packing lighter (doing laundry if we have to) and doing self-assist. Good news is that hubby said that if the bag isn't found, he'll let me buy another pair of Michael Kors heels. :)

As I said before, we've never had any issues. Next time, this will really make me think about what we pack! My daughter is most upset because her puddle jumper was inside along with her Barbie coloring book. LOL.

I took my Louboutons on the Dawn. In my carry on. Never out of my hands and locked in the safe in the room when not in use. Haha.

Woo-hoo!! The lady who has my bag texted us last night with a tracking number. We should get it tomorrow! She shipped it to us via UPS. I really don't want to know how much she spent on shipping. It was a huge suitcase weighing like 60 lbs. Oh well for her. I think she learned a very valuable lesson - always check the name on the luggage!

Woo-hoo!! The lady who has my bag texted us last night with a tracking number. We should get it tomorrow! She shipped it to us via UPS. I really don't want to know how much she spent on shipping. It was a huge suitcase weighing like 60 lbs. Oh well for her. I think she learned a very valuable lesson - always check the name on the luggage!

Sweet!

My husband complained when I bought new luggage. It is very bright colored and unmistakable. He said he would be embarassed to be seen with it . . . until it came time to find it in the sea of luggage after we disembarked at the New Orleans cruise terminal. Then he was glad I bought the gaudy stuff! LOL

We had lost a bag in the Port Canaveral luggage claim once and Carnival shipped it to us, but we had to pay for the shipping. My teenaged daughter forgot to grab her garment bag with all her formal wear in it, so it was our fault. I asked each of the kids if we had all their bags and they all told me yes. Got about 2 hours away from the port (driving) and they called.

We were too far away to turn back (and it was Christmas Eve) so I just agreed to pay for the shipping. She is definitely much better with keeping up with her things now. She had to help out around the house to help pay for the cost of shipping it back home. LOL

• 7 months later...
Just off of the Fantasy today in Charleston, SC. One piece of luggage was lost, it made it off the ship onto the porters cart, through customs, from there we assume it made it onto the trailer on the back of the bus, and to the parking garage, then we used another porter to go to the next garage (Handicapped). But we have not seen it since. Small soft sided black bag with red bandana on handle.. What do they do with luggage at the Port of Charleston parking garage if it turns up?:confused: Any help???

[quote name='pe4all'][COLOR=Black]I am so hoping you find your bag. Please, please, please never place anything of real value - such as jewelry- in your checked bag. Put it in your carry-on.[/COLOR] Good luck - I am sure your bag will turn up somewhere. (hopefully with the jewelry intact)[/quote]

Yes, I am ultra paranoid when it comes to luggage - all valuables (including cruise pics I bought, netbook, camera, important souvenirs) go into the carry on that I keep with me at all times...

Clothes and shoes (easy to replace) go in the luggage that leaves my sight... I also put a rainbow colored luggage strap around my luggage so nobody is likely to pick up the wrong suitcase.

I will keep my fingers you get it back and all in one piece! I know I would be upset too...