Do not waste money on Cirque show or Ocean Blu

pmacher61

I was on the BA the summer of 2013. Of course you had to have advance reservations for everything. I realize 4500 cruisers are from all walks of life and regions. Many guests are not from metro areas and haven't been to the Vegas shows. I have been to Vegas and attended a terrific Cirque show.

I believe the Cirque Jungle was an excellent production and a first class mini-size experience for those who haven't experienced the full-blown original. The kids in the audience had a ball. The meal was just as good as any surf and turf served on any ship..... And I believe an alcoholic drink was included in the price.

All in all a fair value for dinner and a show that requires special staging. It may not be for the typical, jaded-experienced cruiser, but a terrific show and value for a new traveler or those who haven't made it to Ringling Brothers or the original Cirque..

No alcoholic drink included in the Cirque show on Epic, maybe this one is different. As for 'jaded' experienced cruiser, really??? Is this what experience "typically" means or how do you distinguish when it's jaded and when it's not? Not so great reviews = jaded? Nice.

Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy certainly contains elements that would be at home in a Cirque du Soleil production, but they are somewhat different animals (pun intended). While Epic's Cirque Dreams is a poor pastiche of a typical roadside carnival, Jungle Fantasy contains subtle narrative elements, which help to make the show more engaging. The sets are smaller and the acts are less ambitious (if only just) than Cirque du Soleil, but Jungle Fantasy captures the same sense of wonder, sometimes even mystery, that makes watching those Franco-Canadian productions so enjoyable.

Personally, I find the price of Jungle Fantasy to be reasonable for what is offered. It is not Cirque du Soleil, but you're also not even close to paying Cirque du Soleil prices. It's not the best show I've seen on a cruise ship, but it's better than the vast majority of what you'll find out there. It's well worth trying for the curious.

I thought both shows were good but liked the one on the Epic more.

I was considering doing Ocean next month, is there an entree someone can recommend?

Howard, I also just got off the Breakaway on Sunday...and I couldn't wait to go have dinner in Ocean Blue again! I ate there twice while on the Breakaway in May & loved both meals ;)...

In May I ordered-

one night: Littleneck Clams on the halfshell (raw) & Dover Sole Meuniere (sp?)...

other night: a mussels appetizer (wonderful, wonderful :D), and a crab Risotto entree

This cruise I had: Carrot & Ginger Bisque for an appetizer and Blackened Sea Bass for an entree

ALL of these meals were exceptional, in my honest opinion. The desserts were usual fare...very good but not special as the other courses were.

Food is so subjective...I hope you go & I hope you have a great dinner!

Oh, and a PS - ;) - on all 3 occasions Chef Patrick came out to ask about my experience & I thought he was interested in my thoughts, & quite charming.

Edited by cv322

Just disembarked the Breakaway. This was my 68th cruise and made 90 days at sea so far this year. Despite my standing antipathy for the overpriced corporate "Cirque" brand , unfortunately, my girl friend prevailed upon me to take in the "Jungle Fantasy" show.

It is not worth the $40 surcharge particularly because the food and service during the show are horrible. No choice of menu. It's a fixed 3 course debacle consisting of prosciutto/tomato starter, small filet mignon (overcooked) with 3 prawns, and a dessert plate. Service is literally non-existent and as the show continues during the meal it is impossible to get the attention of a waiter in case you want something other than that which is set down before you as if you are in a camp dining room. Forget a wine bucket or bread basket. Forget about asking for a rare piece of filet.

The show itself is the usual costumed, acrobatic, contortionist, juggling event which is not bad , but the cost of $40 is exorbitant especially since you are actually "losing" a meal that you could otherwise enjoy in one of the other dining venues.

The Ocean Blu dining room price dropped from 49 pp to 39. It should be about 8 or 9 pp. It just doesn't compare to the top specialty dining venues on other lines. You can only have 3 courses so no soup and or salad to go with your appetizer unless you want to be surcharged on the surcharge. The calamari and steak tartare appetizers were not good and the scallops with pork belly, and Peking duck mains were likewise not worthy of a premium charge (never saw Peking duck served in thick chunky strips like ribs or pork belly so fatty as to be inedible served as food). When I sent back the scallop plate, the chef came out and tried to argue with me about the quality of his food. Tacky at best. Offensive at worst.

On the other hand, the garden café (buffet) fare was excellent as were my dinners in the Manhattan MDR (great steaks and salmon). The chef's table at $99 pp was a fantastic experience - a real bargain, too. The Burn the Floor dancers are easily best (strongest) I've seen at sea (I studied with Alvin Ailey lead dancer and am fairly experienced).

Disappointed to hear this about Ocean Blu, it would be a definite want to go if we booked Breakaway. Thanks for the restaurant review. Sounds like you enjoyed a couple of them.

I appreciate hearing from posters with all points of view. Food and entertainment really can be very subjective but I have decided to be my own critic. That goes for all types of food and entertainment. I remember when the movie Mamma Mia came out and the movie critic on our local station reviewed it and gave it two thumbs down. I loved that movie and saw it three times. Glad I didn't listen to him.

The moral of the story for me is if I think I might enjoy it, I'll give it a try. I was on the Getaway in April (different show ) but I believe it is relatively the same menu. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. Was it the best I had on the cruise, no, but that didn't matter because I was with family and together we were enjoying the whole experience of the meal and the show.