Do not waste money on Cirque show or Ocean Blu

pmacher61

Just disembarked the Breakaway. This was my 68th cruise and made 90 days at sea so far this year. Despite my standing antipathy for the overpriced corporate "Cirque" brand , unfortunately, my girl friend prevailed upon me to take in the "Jungle Fantasy" show.

It is not worth the $40 surcharge particularly because the food and service during the show are horrible. No choice of menu. It's a fixed 3 course debacle consisting of prosciutto/tomato starter, small filet mignon (overcooked) with 3 prawns, and a dessert plate. Service is literally non-existent and as the show continues during the meal it is impossible to get the attention of a waiter in case you want something other than that which is set down before you as if you are in a camp dining room. Forget a wine bucket or bread basket. Forget about asking for a rare piece of filet.

The show itself is the usual costumed, acrobatic, contortionist, juggling event which is not bad , but the cost of $40 is exorbitant especially since you are actually "losing" a meal that you could otherwise enjoy in one of the other dining venues.

The Ocean Blu dining room price dropped from 49 pp to 39. It should be about 8 or 9 pp. It just doesn't compare to the top specialty dining venues on other lines. You can only have 3 courses so no soup and or salad to go with your appetizer unless you want to be surcharged on the surcharge. The calamari and steak tartare appetizers were not good and the scallops with pork belly, and Peking duck mains were likewise not worthy of a premium charge (never saw Peking duck served in thick chunky strips like ribs or pork belly so fatty as to be inedible served as food). When I sent back the scallop plate, the chef came out and tried to argue with me about the quality of his food. Tacky at best. Offensive at worst.

On the other hand, the garden café (buffet) fare was excellent as were my dinners in the Manhattan MDR (great steaks and salmon). The chef's table at $99 pp was a fantastic experience - a real bargain, too. The Burn the Floor dancers are easily best (strongest) I've seen at sea (I studied with Alvin Ailey lead dancer and am fairly experienced).

Edited by pmacher61

"Despite my standing antipathy for the overpriced corporate "Cirque" brand , unfortunately, my girl friend prevailed upon me to take in the "Jungle Fantasy" show." - I am almost certain that NCL's Cirque show has no connection whatsoever to the Cirque du Soleil brand that I think you're referring to.

"Forget about asking for a rare piece of filet." - Other CCers have indicated that they have been able to specify the doneness of the filet.

"...the cost of $40 is exorbitant especially since you are actually "losing" a meal that you could otherwise enjoy in one of the other dining venues." - Not really. There is nothing preventing you from going to one of the MDRs either before or after the show.

P.S. I thoroughly enjoyed the Cirque show.

"Despite my standing antipathy for the overpriced corporate "Cirque" brand , unfortunately, my girl friend prevailed upon me to take in the "Jungle Fantasy" show." - I am almost certain that NCL's Cirque show has no connection whatsoever to the Cirque du Soleil brand that I think you're referring to.

"Forget about asking for a rare piece of filet." - Other CCers have indicated that they have been able to specify the doneness of the filet.

"...the cost of $40 is exorbitant especially since you are actually "losing" a meal that you could otherwise enjoy in one of the other dining venues." - Not really. There is nothing preventing you from going to one of the MDRs either before or after the show.

P.S. I thoroughly enjoyed the Cirque show.

Glad you enjoyed the show. I'm sure some folks would like to experience a Cirque show for $40 including dinner, because if they were to go to Las Vegas, the shows are a minimum of $100 per ticket and there is no dinner.

As far as Ocean Blu, some have come back raving about it, so I guess it is just a matter of opinion as to whether it is good or not.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Glad you enjoyed the show. I'm sure some folks would like to experience a Cirque show for $40 including dinner, because if they were to go to Las Vegas, the shows are a minimum of $100 per ticket and there is no dinner.

I totally agree. However, again, I'm pretty sure there is no connection between NCL's Cirque show and the Cirque du Soleil shows in LV (or around the world).

I totally agree. However, again, I'm pretty sure there is no connection between NCL's Cirque show and the Cirque du Soleil shows in LV (or around the world).
I guess that would be up for discussion, since this is what I've read:

The new Norwegian Epic features performances by the Blue Man Group, as well as an interactive, 2-hour dinner theater show staged by Cirque du Soleil.

Maybe it has changed this I read this article.

I guess that would be up for discussion, since this is what I've read:

The new Norwegian Epic features performances by the Blue Man Group, as well as an interactive, 2-hour dinner theater show staged by Cirque du Soleil.

Maybe it has changed this I read this article.

Interesting. Is that an article issued by NCL or an article published by a reviewer (who could possibly be misinformed or simply making assumption based on the use of the word "Cirque")?

Some googling:

The Cirque shows on NCL are produced by a company called Cirque Dreams or Cirque Productions. See link:

http://www.cirqueproductions.com/public-shows/cirque-dreams-dinner/

There is no connection between this company and Cirque du Soleil. In fact, Cirque du Soleil sued Cirque Productions for trademark infringement but lost. See link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirque_Productions

Edited by johnql

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sorry you didn't like Jungle Fantasy dinner/show or Ocean Blu dinner.

Glad you enjoyed your meals in the buffet and Manhattan Room very much (as did we back in July).

Hope you had a good cruise in general and thank you for sharing your experiences.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I found this from about a year ago:

wo different companies- different theatre troupes. Cirque Dreams & Dinner is owned by Cirque Productions (aka Cirque Dreams). It was formed in 1993 and was the first American based European style circus troupe.

Cirque du Solei is based out of Montreal, and was formed in 1984 by two street performers. It was the first touring cirque nouveau troupe in the world.

Yes, Cirque du Soleil has sued Cirque Productions for the use of the word cirque. Which was ridiculous, and CdS lost since you can't own the usage of the word "circus" (regardless of the language) in a business name. It would be like Pizza Hut suing Hungry Howie's Pizza for the usage of the word "Pizza" in their business name.

Two different cirque nouveau troupes, two different companies. Similar styles, different preferred venues. Cirque Dreams tends to favor smaller venues, caters to corporate events or small scale theater productions. Cirque du Soleil favors the grandiose, has several permanent stage shows, and a much larger and extravagant traveling performance.

I believe this to be the correct info.

Two different cirque nouveau troupes, two different companies. Similar styles, different preferred venues. Cirque Dreams tends to favor smaller venues, caters to corporate events or small scale theater productions. Cirque du Soleil favors the grandiose, has several permanent stage shows, and a much larger and extravagant traveling performance.

Thank you (and to others) for clarifying the relationship. I dislike CdSol based upon what I believe is its exorbitant pricing policy. Others may not mind paying $100 for a circus show, but I do. I think it's just too much for a typical family entertainment type of show (a week's take home pay for mom, dad and 2 kids to catch the circus). The Cirque Dreams show at a $40 surcharge on a cruise ship where shows/entertainment (like Burn the Floor) are normally

included without a surcharge also strikes me as overpriced. In my opinion the Burn the Floor show was more entertaining, but I acknowledge others may not share my opinion.

Others may also like the food...cold broccoli and soggy fries accompanying the filet (with apparently no options for non red meat eaters). Maybe their veggies were warm. Mine weren't any better prepared than my steak. I asked for a med rare steak before being served and got a well done piece placed before me in the rapid mechanical manner that doesn't allow one to speak with the server. Catching their attention thereafter is near impossible. Yes, I could have eaten in a different venue, but that didn't occur to me and I didn't want to dine at 10:30 pm after the late Cirque show ended (or know that I should have considered eating before the show even if logistics permitted).

I can understand why some may think this is a good deal on the ship. Some may like the entertainment more than me and don't mind paying a hefty surcharge just for the show.

Obviously, (to some extent) food tastes vary so, for example, some people may like hot dogs more than steak even if most don't. Some may think this show's cuisine aboard the Breakaway is haute cuisine. I thought it was schlock and service was simply unacceptable.

And, yes Robin, all in all I thought it was a good cruise. The cuisine was better than expectations except as specified. I especially liked the dance music played in the Manhattan DR during dinner.

Edited by pmacher61

I happen to agree with the OP. The show was pretty good but the food was terrible. We didn't pay extra for it per say, as we saw the first show and were on the UDP. I know I would have been disappointed if I had paid the surcharge. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your honest feedback. We planned on skipping Cirque and now certainly will.

OP, will you please tell me what time you boarded and where you went to sign up for the chef's table? I really want to do it and want to make sure I know when and where to go to give us the best shot at getting spots.

Thanks!

Edited by Scott2.0

Thanks for your honest feedback. We planned on skipping Cirque and now certainly will.

OP, will you please tell me what time you boarded and where you went to sign up for the chef's table? I really want to do it and want to make sure I know when and where to go to give us the best shot at getting spots.

Thanks!

You cannot sign up in advance of boarding. As soon as you board, get to a reservation system/desk and sign up. I did it by going to the person/desk in front of Le Bistro restaurant that was set up for all special restaurant reservations. You may be able to do it on the screens /computers located in the hallways (whereby you can make reservations for all the shows and restaurants).

You get a pre-dinner drink, 2 photos, great wines, an 8 course fab dinner, and a post dinner drink and coffee...plus a special tour of the galley. It's as if the fab food were free given that the extras would cost close to 80-100 pp.

You cannot sign up in advance of boarding. As soon as you board, get to a reservation system/desk and sign up. I did it by going to the person/desk in front of Le Bistro restaurant that was set up for all special restaurant reservations. You may be able to do it on the screens /computers located in the hallways (whereby you can make reservations for all the shows and restaurants).

You get a pre-dinner drink, 2 photos, great wines, an 8 course fab dinner, and a post dinner drink and coffee...plus a special tour of the galley. It's as if the fab food were free given that the extras would cost close to 80-100 pp.

Thanks for the information. I hope we get it. I also want to sign up for Vibe passes so I'll have to strategize how to best do this. We may have to split upon boarding.

I found the Cirque show 'ok' on Epic. Some of the performances were mini 'wow' moments but not magical like Cirque de Soliel shows I've been too (La Nouba in Disney was an experience that I still talk about). The two Cirque's are not the same and I knew this going in so was not intending to compare them. The NCL Cirque was 'entertaining' at the very least. I agree with the OP that the food was lacking. Having absolutely no food choices was bad and having a tomato and cheese as an appetizer is not appealing to me at all and yes I realize I can eat before and after for nothing. I'll also add that I did not like that the way they sat people ... a couple in front of us went in and asked for about 20 seats for others that were way behind us in line and they accomodated the request and ended up taking up most of the balcony before the 6th person in line was seated. Not impressed at all when others were there very early to get seat selection so not right at all ... but that is a whole other ball game :o

Glad I seen the show even if it's for me so have no regrets but could have done without it. Now, the Legends show, that was a different story. That was awesome and wish I had skipped Cirque and gone there a second time instead. Steve Tyler rocked!

To each their own but I will not go to any other Cirque show on NCL, upcoming Escape I'll spend my money elsewhere. They'll get the $$ in the end one way or another LOL

Edited by poffles

Having absolutely no food choices was bad and having a tomato and cheese as an appetizer is not appealing to me at all and yes I realize I can eat before and after for nothing

Just a FYI - I see you are in Canada. In the NYC area, a caprese salad is on almost any menu in an Italian restaurant. Tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil - NCL actually made it more than what it usually is with the addition of prosciutto.

https://www.google.com/search?q=caprese+salad+images&rlz=1C1OPRB_enUS553US553&espv=2&biw=1309&bih=691&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rzgYVMOVF-TgsATuvoGADA&ved=0CB4QsAQ

Just a FYI - I see you are in Canada. In the NYC area, a caprese salad is on almost any menu in an Italian restaurant. Tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil - NCL actually made it more than what it usually is with the addition of prosciutto.

https://www.google.com/search?q=caprese+salad+images&rlz=1C1OPRB_enUS553US553&espv=2&biw=1309&bih=691&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rzgYVMOVF-TgsATuvoGADA&ved=0CB4QsAQ

Yep I am true blue Canadian and totally hear ya but it can be on every menu around the globe, still doesn't mean "everyone" should be given no choice even if they do add prosciutto and I witnessed many leaving the plate untouched so not alone in my tastes. That said, I did eat it but just didn't like/love it :) At least a choice between two items would be nice. Even the MDR has an everyday menu in addition to the many selections on the daily menu so can't see having at least a choice of two being that challenging. Just sayin' :D Either way, don't regret going, just didn't "love it" and can relate to the OP (and the salad had no affect on my overall thoughts).

Do you remember what day Chef's table was? Hoping to go but we will need childcare and Splash Academy doesn't open until 7 on sea days. Thanks.

I truly enjoyed the Cirque show on the Breakaway.

I went on the first day at 25% off and the venue was filled about 2/3...maybe that could explain why I got great food, hot veggies, super tender steak and cooked medium to please the mass.

Service was great also...again maybe because the venue was not filled to max.

I really believe it was a good deal at 25% off.

Do you remember what day Chef's table was? Hoping to go but we will need childcare and Splash Academy doesn't open until 7 on sea days. Thanks.

Chef table was held on Thurs., Sept 11 which was a port day in Bermuda. Started at about 6:15 and went until 9:45.

I was on the BA the summer of 2013. Of course you had to have advance reservations for everything. I realize 4500 cruisers are from all walks of life and regions. Many guests are not from metro areas and haven't been to the Vegas shows. I have been to Vegas and attended a terrific Cirque show.

I believe the Cirque Jungle was an excellent production and a first class mini-size experience for those who haven't experienced the full-blown original. The kids in the audience had a ball. The meal was just as good as any surf and turf served on any ship..... And I believe an alcoholic drink was included in the price.

All in all a fair value for dinner and a show that requires special staging. It may not be for the typical, jaded-experienced cruiser, but a terrific show and value for a new traveler or those who haven't made it to Ringling Brothers or the original Cirque..