Food quality

71Corvette

I'm curious to hear how others think the food quality on the Quantum class will compare to the rest of the fleet. In particular, the dining brochure for quantum class makes the food look gourmet quality. It seems to me they're overselling a bit with the brochure. I just don't see how they can deliver anywhere near that quality of food or presentation in most of their restaurants.

At first I thought that dynamic dining would spread out the dinner "rush" and allow the cooks to spend more time and attention preparing each dish. But, it has since occurred to me that their will probably just be fewer cooks.

What does everyone else think? Will this dynamic dining concept improve food quality?

I'm curious to hear how others think the food quality on the Quantum class will compare to the rest of the fleet. In particular, the dining brochure for quantum class makes the food look gourmet quality. It seems to me they're overselling a bit with the brochure. I just don't see how they can deliver anywhere near that quality of food or presentation in most of their restaurants.

At first I thought that dynamic dining would spread out the dinner "rush" and allow the cooks to spend more time and attention preparing each dish. But, it has since occurred to me that their will probably just be fewer cooks.

What does everyone else think? Will this dynamic dining concept improve food quality?

The restaurants are much smaller. They are cooking for 400 people instead of 1200. The Wonderland restaurant a paid venue seats only 90.

Jonathan

Based on what I saw with the new menu's being rolled out across the fleet the past few years I believe that the quality of the food is entirely dependent on the chef's. I hope that Quantum will have delicious food though. As far as appearance though, don't expect it to look anything like the pictures, at least not past the intro period.

We were on the Grandeur twice in the past year. The first time was in May and it was the very first sailing with the new menu. The executives were onboard from Miami to oversee the roll out and were personally approving every single dish before sending it out. If anything looked off they had to redo it and all the policies had to be followed exactly. The food tasted incredible and looked equally so but the service was so slow. The first night we had MTD at 8pm and didn't get done eating until after 11:30pm. It was truly a horrible experience but it was easily saved by the quality of the food and it's presentation. When we returned in January the food tasted equally delicious but the appearance was no where near what it had been. The small touches like no drips, accent items, and proper placement were forgotten. Some of the rules that were put into place like no carrying hot and cold items together were completely removed (A dish with a scoop of ice cream required the waiter to go to the kitchen, grab the warm dish to carry out. Then return to get the ice cream on a little dish to bring out. Then carry both to the table and only then place the cold ice cream dish on the warm plate). It was easy to see the drop in appearance but the chefs were the same so the food still tasted the same and now the services was a much more acceptable speed. So I'd expect similar from Quantum. At the start the executives will be enforcing unobtainable standards that will quickly be forgotten once they leave but the taste will likely remain.

Here is an example of just one day that I picked at random (last night of each sailing).

May

IMG_2339.JPG

January

IMG_1084.JPG

May

IMG_2349.JPG

January

IMG_1097.JPG

May

IMG_2348.JPG

January

IMG_1098.JPG

If you want to compare some more you can see all my vacation photos on my picas: http://picasaweb.google.com/dmpicone/ Just look for the January and May dates, not sure which days having matching menus.

The restaurants are much smaller. They are cooking for 400 people instead of 1200. The Wonderland restaurant a paid venue seats only 90.

On NCL ships, many of the dining rooms may share the same kitchens. This will probably be the case with some RCI dining rooms.

Dynamic Dining is very similar to NCL's Freestyle system. Unfortunately with NCL the included food can be mediocre and you have to pay a surcharge to get a better meal and better service. Of course if the included food is too good, the surcharge dining options will not be so profitable.

I hope this is not the case with Quantum.

I am of the opinion that RCI's standard of included food is better than NCL's included food under RCI's original dining system.

Edited by London-Calling

I'm curious to hear how others think the food quality on the Quantum class will compare to the rest of the fleet. In particular, the dining brochure for quantum class makes the food look gourmet quality. It seems to me they're overselling a bit with the brochure. I just don't see how they can deliver anywhere near that quality of food or presentation in most of their restaurants.........

I take your point. When you read the RC menus, it all sounds completely amazing. But when you get served, it's a bit lackluster.

I realize that they are serving a lot of people and food is very expensive nowadays. Thus I have realistic expectations.

It will be interesting to see how things work out and if the smaller restaurants = better food preparation.

ps I agree that the chef in charge makes a difference.

Edited by marci22

If its a "pay" restaurant shouldn't it be just excellent food like you would get on shore?

I am guessing that he is referring to the free restaurants. I would expect the pay restaurants to be 'better' than the free ones, or else there would be no reason to book them.

Neat post very clear they let the rules and preparation slide. We eat just as much with our eyes as out stomachs

NCL main dinning room had improved over years past but their specialties are all amazing.

I am expecting Quantum to be similar in food to Getaway. Most things where great some okay and very few not good. It does seem like the food you pay for is just better. They use better ingredients and pass that cost onto the consumer.

Look at Wonderland it seats 90 but they will most likely have less than 40 sat at any time. Its about the presentation and exploration not rushing thru a meal. We booked it first night to relax into our cruise. My kids are so excited. Mom not so much I am the picky eater but I didn't want them to miss out because of me. I am sure I will not go hungry but most of the menu I go ewww no thanks.

Based on what I saw with the new menu's being rolled out across the fleet the past few years I believe that the quality of the food is entirely dependent on the chef's. I hope that Quantum will have delicious food though. As far as appearance though, don't expect it to look anything like the pictures, at least not past the intro period.

We were on the Grandeur twice in the past year. The first time was in May and it was the very first sailing with the new menu. The executives were onboard from Miami to oversee the roll out and were personally approving every single dish before sending it out. If anything looked off they had to redo it and all the policies had to be followed exactly. The food tasted incredible and looked equally so but the service was so slow. The first night we had MTD at 8pm and didn't get done eating until after 11:30pm. It was truly a horrible experience but it was easily saved by the quality of the food and it's presentation. When we returned in January the food tasted equally delicious but the appearance was no where near what it had been. The small touches like no drips, accent items, and proper placement were forgotten. Some of the rules that were put into place like no carrying hot and cold items together were completely removed (A dish with a scoop of ice cream required the waiter to go to the kitchen, grab the warm dish to carry out. Then return to get the ice cream on a little dish to bring out. Then carry both to the table and only then place the cold ice cream dish on the warm plate). It was easy to see the drop in appearance but the chefs were the same so the food still tasted the same and now the services was a much more acceptable speed. So I'd expect similar from Quantum. At the start the executives will be enforcing unobtainable standards that will quickly be forgotten once they leave but the taste will likely remain.

Here is an example of just one day that I picked at random (last night of each sailing).

May

IMG_2339.JPG

January

IMG_1084.JPG

May

IMG_2349.JPG

January

IMG_1097.JPG

May

IMG_2348.JPG

January

IMG_1098.JPG

If you want to compare some more you can see all my vacation photos on my picas: http://picasaweb.google.com/dmpicone/ Just look for the January and May dates, not sure which days having matching menus.

Fascinating... I've been on numerous maiden/inaugurals and it's certainly true that with the executives from Miami onboard, food and entertainment are specially fine! I do believe that over time, lounge acts (for example) tend to go downhill. And the food presentation too, as your comparative photos make very clear. Probably less change week-to-week, but after six months or a year...!?

Derek,

Great pix!! And I totally agree, it all depends on the Executive Chef onboard!

Had the new menu on the Splendour last year in May - roll out week. Lots of stuff didn´t really work out well as they didn´t have the ingredients. A simple example: Orechiette pasta turned into Penne pasta. Although there was a chef onboard from Miami not everything went as smoothe as it could have.

We enjoyed the new menu on the Navigator in November last year. Didn´t dare to order the lasagna (how could an US cruise ship with a British chef prepare a good Italian lasagna??). Our waiter came up with an extra plate for us to try. And it was excellent, nearly as good as the one my Dad made!

Gave it a try on our recent cruises (Majesty and Oasis TA): Very good on the Majesty (Indian chef), nearly as good as on the Majesty for the Oasis but definitely a smaller portion (Hungarian chef).

I do take pictures of all meals as well but I haven´t sorted the ones from the last three weeks yet.

steamboats

• 4 months later...

May I say we have loved all 3 restaurants so far -- Silk, Wonderland and Even American icon grill! We also never had to wait more than 5 mins at each to be seated! Do not miss Mama Mia.. Sooo well done.. I am trying to find something wrong with this cruise.. But it really is hard to!

Sorry, but on my 12/27 Quantum cruise, I found the quality of the food to be awful. While I previously found MDR food to be banquet hall quality, on my last two cruises it has slipped to be comparable to Olive Garden. My husband was served, as an entree, one short rib with one fingerling potato sliced in half and two asparagus. Huh? With our lobster in the Grande, beneath the lobster was a minuscule amount of some sautéed fennel and nothing else. Again, huh? The Windjammer is now open all night, but what it serves is totally inedible as it consists of food leftover from dinner service. Also, none of the food we were served was hot, lukewarm at best and more often than not, cold.

Cruise ship dining is highly subjective but, I can't help but think that Royal Caribbean has really sunk to new lows in their Complimentary Dining venues.

Was also on the 12/27 cruise and found the food to be amazing (our entire party of 11 agreed the food was very impressive). Portion sizes might have been small, which was fine since many of us were ordering 2-3 appetizers and 2 entrees :). The only restaurant that wasn't loved by all was Silk - appetizers were good but the mains were not the best. Had great meals at Chic, Grande, American Icon and Jamie's Italian.

We ate at Chic the other night and the Sea Bass was delicious that we ate there again last night. Chops, Grand, Jaime's and Coastal Kitchen were also very good. We feel WJ on Quantum is a step above WJ on other RCI ships. No complaints about food so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree about the WJ .. It is by far the best dinner I have ever had in a buffet on any of my cruises! The selection was mind blowing.

• 1 month later...