Are secret balconies really going away?

lah66

I sure would miss the "secret place", as my friends and I used to call it. The view from that spot was really spectacular, and it was never crowded when we were there. It could, however, get hella HOT on that balcony in the middle of the day! :eek:

Nice place to go to relax and unwind.

I did the same...I can see them adding a suite using the available space, but I can also see them incorporating an adjacent cabin to increase the suite footprint and still have a large balcony.

Their ship, and they can do whatever they want to it, but I agree with you that they owe paid passengers more timely notification when their vacation plans will be directly impacted.

As if they will. :eek::eek:

Still no word yet if the balcony cabins are going away. We know the secret balconies are being made into suites. Some people are being given $100 OBC and being moved to other less desirable, certainly less "novel" cabins.

We have booked our Plan B replacement cruise for this Allure cruise. It is sounding better and better...14 day NCL, going to more interesting ports. Still hanging on to 12329, just in case!

Lauri

• 2 weeks later...
Someone actually saw the new Oasis plans this morning...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2110527

I went to RCI's website and they were no longer there! Hopefully we will not have much longer to wait to see the new deck plans.

Lauri

S/he never said they saw deck plans. They said they saw the cabin numbers listed as being available, but wondered what´s up as they don´t appear on the deck plans.

S/he never said they saw deck plans. They said they saw the cabin numbers listed as being available, but wondered what´s up as they don´t appear on the deck plans.

Right, that was me. (He). Threw me for a loop when I saw several 11730, 12730 cabin numbers listed. Going to call RCI and see if they are available. Don't understand why they don't show these post plans so people can make choices for the later cruises .

I will have to go back and look again. Whenever I do bookings, the deck plan always shows up so you can see exactly where the cabin is. I made the assumption that was what they saw. I will look for the cabin numbers this time!

Odd that they would advertise the cabin but not have the up to date deck plans on the website. Thanks for your interpretation!

Lauri

Right, that was me. (He). Threw me for a loop when I saw several 11730, 12730 cabin numbers listed. Going to call RCI and see if they are available. Don't understand why they don't show these post plans so people can make choices for the later cruises .

Buckeye Rob, Thanks for posting again! I bet the deck plans are coming soon! I am going to go back and see if the last aft cabins on 11 and 12 are being offered still. Of course they are probably taken already since they were some of the most desirable balcony cabins on the ship! please let us know what RCI says!

Lauri

Buckeye Rob, Thanks for posting again! I bet the deck plans are coming soon! I am going to go back and see if the last aft cabins on 11 and 12 are being offered still. Of course they are probably taken already since they were some of the most desirable balcony cabins on the ship! please let us know what RCI says!

Lauri

I am so happy right now !!! Just called RCI and changed my GS from 11254 to the new aft GS 11330. They confirmed it and also informed me the GS suite size stays at 371 SqFt, but... balcony is 470 SqFt from 114 SqFt regular GS balconies!!! Must wrap around to the Aquatheater and or the sea. Very nice !!

Edited by buckeye rob

I am so happy right now !!! Just called RCI and changed my GS from 11254 to the new aft GS 11330. They confirmed it and also informed me the GS suite size stays at 371 SqFt, but... balcony is 470 SqFt from 114 SqFt regular GS balconies!!! Must wrap around to the Aquatheater and or the sea. Very nice !!

Amazing!! Congratulations! Wow..that is quite the room/balcony combination! You and your family will have fabulous views from your cabin! Thanks again for the follow up!

Lauri

I just checked, those grand Suite rooms are available for my sailing, Jan 2nd 2016. A bit too rich for my blood but I've been interested in this whole process because I have rooms 11728 and 11729 so I was wondering if those were going away. With the room numbering I'm guessing those are staying:D since the Grand suite is # is 11730.

The Royal suite is also available on deck 17. The description says it has a 345sf Balcony. They must be adding that.

April 4, 2015

Wonderful. Send some pics please. I'm not going until 8-22-15 Can't wait to see the new deck plan layout. Did you talk to an RCI rep ? Did they confirm what I said about the suite and balcony size ? Thanks Gerry

Edited by buckeye rob

Wonderful. Send some pics please. I'm not going until 8-22-15 Can't wait to see the new deck plan layout. Did you talk to an RCI rep ? Did they confirm what I said about the suite and balcony size ? Thanks Gerry

Definitely will. I did talk to RCI rep, but he said he couldn't see the info on the balcony size (you know how it is sometimes with RCI:confused:). Anyway, I was looking to move up to a higher floor to be closer to the CL, so I am happy to have a shot at a new cabin with a ginormous balcony. Kim

Definitely will. I did talk to RCI rep, but he said he couldn't see the info on the balcony size (you know how it is sometimes with RCI:confused:). Anyway, I was looking to move up to a higher floor to be closer to the CL, so I am happy to have a shot at a new cabin with a ginormous balcony. Kim

Wonderful. Thank you. Gerry

THANK YOU Buckeye Rob ... just changed my GS to 11730 !!!!:D:D:D

Thank you for the scoop. I held a new GS on floor 11. I will call the TA tommorrow. Do you think the balconies will get smaller as you go up floors?

Yes I believe so, however they should still be fairly large. Notice the Aquasuite balcony sizes on the lower floors getting smaller the higher up. Guess because of the setback. Gerry

I just checked, those grand Suite rooms are available for my sailing, Jan 2nd 2016. A bit too rich for my blood but I've been interested in this whole process because I have rooms 11728 and 11729 so I was wondering if those were going away. With the room numbering I'm guessing those are staying:D since the Grand suite is # is 11730.

The Royal suite is also available on deck 17. The description says it has a 345sf Balcony. They must be adding that.

So... the cabins are still there (***28 and ***29)... but there won't be any public "secret balcony" next door that you can enjoy, right? That will now be part of the private Grand Suite ***30. : (

Such a shame... my cabin happened to be far away from this area when I sailed on Oasis last December, but I still made a point to travel there and spend a little quiet time in this lovely "secret" balcony. Watched part of a movie in the Aquatheatre one night (would've watched the whole thing if it were a movie I was interested in)... no one was there, except for an occasional visit from staff (who stepped out for a bit of fresh air while working on the hallway, I guess).

... and certainly, if I had researched and booked an interior or exterior cabin on that hallway, with the thought that I had my own "secret" balcony just a few steps away, I would be disappointed that it had been added on to create another high-end private cabin, and that I would no longer have access to this nearby outdoor space...

JMHO.

(But congrats to those of you who had already booked a "regular" GS -- indeed, out of reach for many of us! -- and managed to switch into these new GS cabins with the triple-sized balcony. It should be a treat... )

Edited by EmpressofPurple

So excited for all of you who booked the new GS's! Wow! Those balconies are HUMONGOUS!

I guess I understand why they took my secret balcony experience away (we booked 12329 on Allure for Spring 2016)! The balconies were underused and now every week, one family will have that balcony all to themselves! What an amazing experience that will be! Maybe someday after I finish paying college tuitions, I can book GS 12330! Until then, we are cancelling our Allure cruise (the novelty is gone!) and doing a 14 day on NCL Spirit! 14 days in the Caribbean in the dead of winter beats a 7 day in my book!

Thanks everyone for the info!! I am excited to,see the press release tomorrow. Glad they are finally listening to us!

Lauri