What to wear for formal night

lashley

This will be our first cruise on Carnival, Sensation in August....going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel...4 day cruise.

For formal night in the dining room, do you think it's appropriate for my husband to wear nice slacks, sports coat and tie? Does he really need a tux? He has a suit, but it is very wintery while the sporst coat is lighter (and more stylish IMO). I just don't want to be really, really under-dressed. What do you all think?

I also really don't want to go out and buy him a new suit. He NEVER wears one so I just think that would be a waste of money.

Any advice will be helpful!

L

Your DH will be fine in his sports coat, shirt/tie. Have fun!

<font color="#0000CC" face="Lydian Csv BT" size="4">~~Shelia~~</font></p>

Sailing the Mariner in.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

Yes, I agree DH will be fine in sport coat w/tie. have fun!!!

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

I would say it is too casual for a 7 night cruise, but on 3 and 4 night sailings, even on formal nights, the dress seems to be "less formal".

I think he will be fineicon_smile.gif.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Men's fashion police checking in here,... icon_wink.gif

Men's formal wear ranges in formality from white ties and tails or cutaways to tuxedos or frocks to dinner jackets to whatever you find in a tux rental shop window.

The default conservative business suit is plain navy wool. Ranging downward from there is pinstripes, plaids, and checks, in various fabrics and in lighter colors.

The next step down in formality would be to sport coats and slacks. A navy wool blazer is most conservative with differing patterns, fabrics, weaves, and colors being more casual.

Fine knit sweaters in dark monotones are the next step toward casual, with bulkier looser knits or brighter colors and patterns being more liberal.

There is a huge jump between a sport coat and formal wear. Nearly any suit is more proper than a sport coat.

There is a certain ease offered on formal night to allow for those who don't own a tuxedo to bring a dark suit; understanding that most men have a dark suit.

I have never sailed Carnival to know how much more slack they may offer to those who don't own an appropriate suit. He may be just fine wearing a sport jacket. It all depends on how lax they have chosen to make their dress code.

Most importantly, you want him to fit into the crowd. If he is significantly underdressed, it could make for an uncomfortable evening. Make sure the sport coat is okay before packing it. I would strongly caution against it, but not having been a Carnival customer, I don't know.

Another thought: It is commonly reported that the dining rooms are chilly. He may want to wear his wintery suit so he won't get cold. icon_wink.gif

Dan & Marlene

Us - NCL Norway 02/03

Her - NCL Southward 04/92

- Star Princess 05/95

- HAL Westerdam 09/96

Hi Dan and Marlene...wow, thanks for that report icon_wink.gif.

I took a 3 night cruise on Soveriegn of The Seas last summer...maybe its because it was only a 3nighter and it was middle of summer...but it was not what I would consider "formal" even on formal nights. I agree with you that there is a big difference between a sport coat and a suit....none the less, I saw plenty of men in the first type...yes, on formal night. Though on a 3 night cruise, there is only one formal night.

One of my tablemates wore a dark suit... his wife and daughter looked very nice as well...the other Dad...not even sure he wore a sport coat icon_eek.gif...

Its been almost a year so my memory has faded a bit on that one icon_wink.gif

I remember my 7 night cruises much more clearly icon_biggrin.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

I've been on a Carnival cruise and trust me, the sports coat/tie will be fine for a 4-night cruise. I wouldn't wear it on a 7 or more night, but 4-night is fine.

<font color="#0000CC" face="Lydian Csv BT" size="4">~~Shelia~~</font></p>

Sailing the Mariner in.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

Archived