Male Night Gown Contest Carnival Capers

hattack

I was going thru old cruise albums from the 80's &90's yesterday and it struck me how much innocent fun everyone was having being a part of activities that by today's standards would seem mundane...for kids, there were no video game centers back in those days,yet they had so much fun also

If anyone has copies of the Carnival Capers from that era (or pictures and/or good memories) what were some of the activities that Carnival's CD's organized for full days at sea

I remember horse racing (a big deal in those days), knobby knee contest etc

I was going thru old cruise albums from the 80's &90's yesterday and it struck me how much innocent fun everyone was having being a part of activities that by today's standards would seem mundane...for kids, there were no video game centers back in those days,yet they had so much fun also

If anyone has copies of the Carnival Capers from that era (or pictures and/or good memories) what were some of the activities that Carnival's CD's organized for full days at sea

I still have some of my Carnival Capers from our Festivale cruise in 1992. There was a male nightgown contest that we thought was hilarious. I don't have those scanned right now and am getting ready to leave here shortly, but I can try to get them scanned and posted for you later on. We were on the southern itinerary out of San Juan. We only had on full day at sea, which was the last day of the cruise. Hopefully I still have that copy of the Capers. Also on that last day, sea day, they had a beer chugging contest at the Lido pool...a gal was the winner of that, beating out a guy.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Ah! The good old days of Carnival cruising. Good times. Good memories.

Edited by winddawn

Sorry it took so long, but finally located my old "Carnival Capers" from our Festivale (honeymoon) cruise and first ever cruise for us. This was in 1992 and unfortunately I do not have ALL of our Capers but do have 4 days worth. Also, the Capers back then were on one page, legal size, printed on front and back.

Our cruise was a Southern itinerary on Carnival Festivale, or just "Festivale" at the time, out of San Juan. Ports of call were: St. Thomas; St. Maarten/St. Martin; Dominica; Barbados; Martinique; Sea Day. I've got the "Carnival Capers" for St. Thomas; Dominica; Martinique; and the Sea Day but missing the first edition from San Juan, St. Maarten/St. Martin, and Barbados. What I also notice is that the "Muster Drill" was called a "Lifeboat Drill" then and believe it or not, was actually held on the 2nd day of the cruise, after leaving St. Thomas.

Capers - Day 2 - St. Thomas (front)

scan0006.jpg

Capers - Day 2 - St. Thomas (back)

scan0005.jpg

Capers - Day 4 - Dominica (front)

scan.jpg

Capers - Day 4 - Dominica (back)

scan0010.jpg

Capers - Day 6 - Martinique (front)

scan0013.jpg

Capers - Day 6 - Martinique (back)

scan0012.jpg

Will post the last edition (Sea Day), a postcard of Festivale that I think came in the cabin and an old luggage tag in another post.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

More old "Carnival Capers":

Capers - Day 7 - Sea Day (front)

scan0014.jpg

Capers - Day 7 - Sea Day (back)

scan0015.jpg

Carnival Festivale postcard (front)

ff5ad6d8-c4c9-418c-98c1-825aa4549ca7.jpg

Carnival Festivale postcard (back)

6c1f0d1a-4f71-4ca4-939d-661d709932e6.jpg

Carnival Luggage tag

7972fda5-cf5e-4ac5-866d-b97582577a87.jpg

I don't know if we have any of the other editions of the Capers or not, at the time we didn't know they'd be "collectibles" and may have pitched the others while still on the ship but I can't remember. I'm pretty sure we have all the editions of Capers/Fun Times from our Carnival cruises after that.

I have pix AND video. Have two friends that actually participated as well. Never understood why they did away with them. Yes, they came pretty close to "the line", but never over it.

finally located my old "Carnival Capers" from our Festivale (honeymoon) cruise and first ever cruise for us.

Thank you for the entertaining blast from the past! Yes, a lot has changed between now and then (assigned seating for breakfast and lunch? Um, no thanks), but a surprising amount has changed little in all these years. I guess Carnival knew their clientele, even then.

Sorry it took so long, but finally located my old "Carnival Capers" from our Festivale (honeymoon) cruise and first ever cruise for us. This was in 1992 and unfortunately I do not have ALL of our Capers but do have 4 days worth. Also, the Capers back then were on one page, legal size, printed on front and back.

Our cruise was a Southern itinerary on Carnival Festivale, or just "Festivale" at the time, out of San Juan. Ports of call were: St. Thomas; St. Maarten/St. Martin; Dominica; Barbados; Martinique; Sea Day. I've got the "Carnival Capers" for St. Thomas; Dominica; Martinique; and the Sea Day but missing the first edition from San Juan, St. Maarten/St. Martin, and Barbados. What I also notice is that the "Muster Drill" was called a "Lifeboat Drill" then and believe it or not, was actually held on the 2nd day of the cruise, after leaving St. Thomas.

Capers - Day 2 - St. Thomas (front)

scan0006.jpg

Capers - Day 2 - St. Thomas (back)

scan0005.jpg

Capers - Day 4 - Dominica (front)

scan.jpg

Capers - Day 4 - Dominica (back)

scan0010.jpg

Capers - Day 6 - Martinique (front)

scan0013.jpg

Capers - Day 6 - Martinique (back)

scan0012.jpg

Will post the last edition (Sea Day), a postcard of Festivale that I think came in the cabin and an old luggage tag in another post.

The midnight gala buffet.....The good old days of cruising

Carnival Festivale postcard (front)

ff5ad6d8-c4c9-418c-98c1-825aa4549ca7.jpg

What a gorgeous photo! I like this cruise ship design a lot more than the contemporary ones. It looks like an actual ship. The contemporary designs look like hotels set adrift (*cough* Allure of the Seas *cough*). It's why I like the Fantasy class; it has vestiges of the classic design. Hopefully, things will come full circle at some point in the future, and they'll start building them like this again.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I remember the male nightgown contest.It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. I thought I would die laughing. It was one my first cruise and I still remember it well. This was on the Holiday and John Heald wa the CD. For anyone who has ever sailed with John,you can just imagine how funny he was!

Laura

Thanks for the great memories. The Festivale was my first cruise. My husband was in the male nightgown contest, it was so funny and lots of fun.

pghsteelerfan - I loved seeing the old Capers. I wish I would have kept some of them from earlier cruises. It seems like there was so much more to do then.

Even though there have been lots of changes over the years some good some not so good, I still love cruising and can't wait for my next one.

Thanks for the great memories. The Festivale was my first cruise. My husband was in the male nightgown contest, it was so funny and lots of fun.

pghsteelerfan - I loved seeing the old Capers. I wish I would have kept some of them from earlier cruises. It seems like there was so much more to do then.

Even though there have been lots of changes over the years some good some not so good, I still love cruising and can't wait for my next one.

Festivale was our first cruise too, our honeymoon in 1992. I didn't get a lot of pictures since I only had a film camera then and took more of the islands. It was a port heavy itinerary out of San Juan and stops at five islands. At least DH got video, so we do have some of the interior of Festivale. We watched the video again about a year and a half ago and have the whole male nightgown contest on the video. We laughed just as hard as we did when we were on Festivale. Great times and great memories. I'm glad we still have the copies of the Capers that we do, but sure wish we had them all.

hattack, this thread is a great idea! I hope others will add photos and/or copies of old Carnival Capers too.

• 4 weeks later...