Ordering more than one entree in MDR

ProfCruise

Planning my first Carnival cruise for December. Have only been on one prior cruise on Princess. Our understanding was that you could order as much as you want in the MDR. Well, on our first night (at a giant group table full of people we had just met) my husband and I tried to order a couple of appetizers and entrees each and were humiliated by our waiter. Basically told us "one each" in a rude tone. We were really caught off guard and had to scramble to decide which we wanted while everyone was starring at us.

So, my question is, has anyone ever experienced any trouble ordering more than one item on Carnival? My husband and I are big eaters, love to try new things, and will eat every bite of what we order. I just don't want to be embarrassed again if it's not really appropriate to order multiple items. Thanks! :D

You should have went to the Maître d' to let him know about the attitude of this waiter. You're allowed as much as you want in the dining room, period. A new table or waitstaff would have helped or even removing his share of the auto gratuity for that first night, as he was unable to preform the basic responsibilities and did not go above and beyond, except to turn down your reasonable request that is allowed.

Edited by Disconnections

You can absolutely order as much as you want! I like to share with others at our table because I feel bad if I don't finish something, but we have NEVER had an issue ordering more than 1 of anything! In fact, sometimes our waiter has overheard us trying to decide and has brought multiple items to us on his own! Have fun and try what you want!

Go ahead and order whatever you want. The waiters will let you order whatever you want. Usually they will bring you one thing at a time, but occasionally will bring two to speed up the process. If you want it served a certain way, just request it and they will try to accommodate your request. We have never had a problem with ordering more than one thing. They will even plate your desserts to take back to your room with you if you want. Enjoy!!!

Order as much as you want, everything if your heart so desires.

My boyfriend usually orders two entrees each night. I usually order at least 3 appetizers. I can't order an abundance of things to try from my kitchen table post cruise... so I don't hold back.

It never occured to me to order multiple plates until I met a woman and her daughter who were cruising after she went into remission from breast cancer. Between the two of them they ordered about everything on the rotating menu.

I am really sorry to hear your experience.

As others have all ready pointed out, you are allowed to order multiples. If you receive the same response in the future I would do as Disconnections suggests and have a short conversation with the Maître d'. Some selections are rather small almost like the cruise line anticipates everyone ordering more than one.

Planning my first Carnival cruise for December. Have only been on one prior cruise on Princess. Our understanding was that you could order as much as you want in the MDR. Well, on our first night (at a giant group table full of people we had just met) my husband and I tried to order a couple of appetizers and entrees each and were humiliated by our waiter. Basically told us "one each" in a rude tone. We were really caught off guard and had to scramble to decide which we wanted while everyone was starring at us.

So, my question is, has anyone ever experienced any trouble ordering more than one item on Carnival? My husband and I are big eaters, love to try new things, and will eat every bite of what we order. I just don't want to be embarrassed again if it's not really appropriate to order multiple items. Thanks! :D

Sorry this happened to you. Would have asked to speak to the MD and gotten a new table. Totally unacceptable behavior by the waiter.

We haven't been on Princess in several years so the policy might have changed but when we last sailed you could order as much as you wanted. On a Carnival cruise this last January we were with a group of 11 people ages 8 to 78. We had ATD but had the same server every night, Andrew and his crew were terrific. By the end of the cruise when we would order "wrong" he would say "you won't like that, I'll bring it but I'll also bring something else." He was always right. If we liked something and shared it, he would just bring us more. Best waiter ever! We closed down the dining room every night. Gave Andrew and crew a very large tip on the last night.

This happened to you on Princess, right? My Carnival waiters have tried to give me seconds on appetizers and entrees before. They want to fatten me up. Thanks, guys! :p

We haven't been on Princess in several years so the policy might have changed but when we last sailed you could order as much as you wanted. On a Carnival cruise this last January we were with a group of 11 people ages 8 to 78. We had ATD but had the same server every night, Andrew and his crew were terrific. By the end of the cruise when we would order "wrong" he would say "you won't like that, I'll bring it but I'll also bring something else." He was always right. If we liked something and shared it, he would just bring us more. Best waiter ever! We closed down the dining room every night. Gave Andrew and crew a very large tip on the last night.

Fmrlkr, the policy has not changed on Princess. You're able to order as much as you want. In fact, unlike Carnival, there is no extra charge in the specialty restaurants if you order more than one entree.

Thanks everyone! We had YTD on Princess. It sounds like we probably just had a grumpy waiter. We'll try again on Carnival -- it sounds like we'll have a better experience this time.

LOL, to "health implications." Tell the truth, were you my waiter? But seriously, it's a vacation. If I ate like I eat on vacation every day of the year, we'd have a major problem. I don't though -- I eat very healthy and exercise regularly in my "real life." But vacations are for trying and doing things we don't get to do in our every day life. I would never do anything that would negatively impact another person's experience, but if this is common practice, I plan to arm myself with Pepto and stuff myself silly. :D

You can order as many as you want. One night on our Last cruise they all of my favorite appetizers on the same night so I got all three and skipped the main course. Sometimes you don't even have to order ! . Our first night on the Magic I ordered some pasta dish and my Hubby ordered pot roast . When we got our orders I must have been looking longingly at his because a few minutes later the waiter brought a plate of it out to me ! It seems like they always serve Bitter and Blanc the same night as Tirimisu so that is Always a double dessert night !

On our recent Carnival Freedom cruise, DH ordered the shrimp & fries one night but mentioned to Taras, our head waiter, that he was trying to decide between the shrimp & fries and the petite filet mignon & braised short rib. Taras looked at me and asked how I would like the filet cooked. I wasn't sure why he was asking. He said that he would order it for us to share and see if we liked it. We had both already placed our order for our entree that night, so it was his idea to order the extra entree for us to try.

I've never heard of a waiter telling someone, "Only one" but we've never cruised with anyone but Carnival.

I will say that it seems to me that the food portions have been bigger on the last two cruises that we've taken. Many times I couldn't finish what I had ordered.

You can order as many as you want. One night on our Last cruise they all of my favorite appetizers on the same night so I got all three and skipped the main course. Sometimes you don't even have to order ! . Our first night on the Magic I ordered some pasta dish and my Hubby ordered pot roast . When we got our orders I must have been looking longingly at his because a few minutes later the waiter brought a plate of it out to me ! It seems like they always serve Bitter and Blanc the same night as Tirimisu so that is Always a double dessert night !

I am surprised how rarely Bitter and Blanc is mentioned. That along with the Grand Marnier souffle are some of my favorite deserts.

Thanks everyone! We had YTD on Princess. It sounds like we probably just had a grumpy waiter. We'll try again on Carnival -- it sounds like we'll have a better experience this time.

LOL, to "health implications." Tell the truth, were you my waiter? But seriously, it's a vacation. If I ate like I eat on vacation every day of the year, we'd have a major problem. I don't though -- I eat very healthy and exercise regularly in my "real life." But vacations are for trying and doing things we don't get to do in our every day life. I would never do anything that would negatively impact another person's experience, but if this is common practice, I plan to arm myself with Pepto and stuff myself silly. :D

I almost always order a couple of appetizers, mostly just to try different things. I typically order something I know I like, and then something I may or may not like, to try.

Carnival encourages this, as far as I can tell. Like others have said, typically the waiter will bring you something without asking, just so you can try it.

I can relate...I do the same thing on tiramisu and bitter and blanc night!

Same policy on Princess. Sailed with them in April and had the same experience of debating, making a choice and having the waiter bring both anyway.

OP, don't worry at all. Two apps and two desserts are my reg routine on a cruise. And when it's the mozzarella and tomatoes app, I am tempted to get three! LOL

What irritates me more than anything is when people just waste food sometimes!!! They order extra and than don't eat it!! ERRRRR! I digress...

On the Breeze last cruise my DH and I would order and split a dessert daily or just not order and our waiter would look at us like we are crazy. The table next to us order double entree's each night and didn't eat the sides that came with it just the protein. The waiter was always more than gracious to serve double.

On our very first cruise, I wanted to try to things. I asked the waiter if I could order both. I will always remember his response. "Whatever you like" with a nice smile. Now that's how you should be treated.

That is how you should be treated but on my first cruise every thing I asked for was met with a no. I had a table of people from hell. After the third night we ate in the buffet and I removed all dining room tips.

Now I would know to just ask for a different table, but at the time I thought what I got was what I got.

Although, I must say, if my table mates are ordering everything on the menu, I would be glad for them to be told no.

The table is not that big and there is little room for all those extra plates, added to the fact it would make me sick to see people consuming all that food. Not to mention how long the meal would go.

What irritates me more than anything is when people just waste food sometimes!!! They order extra and than don't eat it!! ERRRRR! I digress...

On the Breeze last cruise my DH and I would order and split a dessert daily or just not order and our waiter would look at us like we are crazy. The table next to us order double entree's each night and didn't eat the sides that came with it just the protein. The waiter was always more than gracious to serve double.

Don't be too hard on your dining room neighbors. Others have posted on here, it is easier for the waitstaff to bring the entire entree as prepared versus just a part of it.