A little ticked before I travel,

vicocala

Just called Orbi*z because I found that all SS cabins are now on guarantee. I already have an SS but wanted to switch over to guarantee in hopes of securing an upgrade.

HAL wanted to charge me a $700 penalty to switch to a guarantee cabin because I was inside the 75 day final payment for a lateral transfer. I thought that outrageous since their is no guarantee I would even move up. It only cost $800 to move up to an S cabin anyway.

It really bothers me because I was able to buy a guarantee on Carnival with 17 days to go, granted I didn't already have a cabin with them but I think it is poor that HAL would charge almost a full upgrade on the guarantee. Afterall, that gives HAL one cheaper cabin they can try to sell in the next 60 days.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure I understand. Was the reason you wished to change to a guarantee a hope of getting a free upgrade to an "S" Suite? You wanted HAL to put you in line at this time just before your cruise to be given something better than what you had purchased? Please explain, if you don't mind. I have to have gotten it wrong. :confused:

I'm a little confused, too. Last-minute availability of suites is slim. Usually only if someone cancels. Guarantees are sold early to give the cruiseline more flexibility in moving people around. After final payment, there isn't that much moving to do. Things are becoming pretty well buttoned up.

I'm a little confused, too. Last-minute availability of suites is slim. Usually only if someone cancels. Guarantees are sold early to give the cruiseline more flexibility in moving people around. After final payment, there isn't that much moving to do. Things are becoming pretty well buttoned up.

Exactly, Jim. That's what I was thinking.

ok, let's see if I can make it clearer. I talked to a Carnival PVP a couple of days ago for a while about upgrade procedures. I could have moved up three catagories right then. She suggested I wait because there were a lot of empty cabins in catagories above me. You can see by my signature how far away my cruise on Glory is.

Since HAL belongs to the same parent, I figured that upgrades would work in same fashion. So I talked to my TA about it and he thought it would be a good idea to ask HAL to move me into a guarantee also for a better chance to upgrade. He agreed with the Carnival rep that guarantees get first priority in an upgrade. As I already had a great SS cabin and all the big TA's on line were showing them as guarantee only, I felt I had nothing to lose by offering my cabin which HAL could sell cheaper and maybe fill the ship, while I would be in line for an upgrade. A win-win for everyone I thought. But.....

HAL decided that since I was past final payment date I should pay a penalty to switch to a guarantee, which I think is outrageous, as it could potentially help them fill the ship. Yes, I would get an upgrade, but if no one was willing to pay for an S cabin I would be giving them an opportunity to sell a cheaper cabin to help them. If the S cabins sold, they could still potentially give me back my SS cabin.

In any event, instead HAL counteroffered to charge me $700 to switch to a guarantee cabin with no guarantee of being upgraded where for another $100 I could of just bought a "S" suite an upgraded myself.

I just don't see why they made such an offer. Either tell me it is in my best interest to stay where I am or make me an offer on the "S" suite instead of all this penalty stuff. Why not just offer me the "S" for $700 bucks more?

If they didn't want to do that, just say, stay where you are?

I will enjoy myself either way and will also enjoy my trip on Glory, I just think HAL dropped the ball in how they handled it.

If they want to take their chances in filling the "S" cabins that is OK with me. My "SS" will be great and my wife will enjoy it which is the most important thing to me.

What's the GTY price today compared to the price you paid for the SS?

Oh, and the GTY won't give you a bette chance at an upgrade, but a worse one - provided you agreed to take an upgrade when you made your initial booking (HAL asks all passengers if they would accept an upgrade. Some people choose not to, for sentimental or other reasons). Should they need an SS, then those who paid full fare would be the first offered the upgrade.

dakrewser,

It would be a lateral transfer. The room prices were the same on the on line TA I mentioned. As far as guarantees go, both Carnival and HAL reps say guarantee passengers get the first crack at an upgrade. Which makes sense or they would have trouble selling guarantee cabins in the first place.

I really don't understand why you are dissatisfied. You chose a good cabin , I assume in the location you desired, which is what many of us do.

If you make changes after the final payment is due, you will be charged as they view it as a cancellation and a re-booking.

We applied for an upgrade from an A to an S 5 months before sailing, and were quoted a price of $8000 pp. We really couldn't afford an S for 35 days when we booked so we chose an A midship port side. Obviously, we declined. We learned that the upgrade fairy is very fickle. Our friends, just last week who had booked an inside, (not guarantee) were upgraded to the penthouse.

We have learned that if cabin class and location will impact our cruise enjoyment, we should initially book what we want.

GN

Not really dissatisfied, as I said in the open, ticked. I upgraded (paid) after the final payment was due and wasn't charged a cancellation and rebook. I guess they just don't want customers trying to manipulate inventory to their advantage.

Just for comparison let me tell you how RCCL just handled a similar situation. We booked for the September 2005 10 day Boston-Bermuda/Carribbean cruise last December. At that time the outside cabin we chose was $1399 per person. We had seen price drops if we were willing to switch to a guarantee cabin. Each time the guarantee price dropped we switched and our price went to $999. per person. Final payment was due on 7/14/05. Two weeks ago, the guarantee price dropped another $100 to $899 per person. Our cabin had already been assigned. From everything I had read here I figured we were just out of luck, any penalty would cancel any savings.

I called RCCL and inquired about switching back into guarantee status. As long as I was willing to give up the assigned cabin, no problem. Five minutes later we had a $200 per cabin credit back to credit card. Last week, they reassigned our cabin, and we were upgraded one level. No hassles.

I understand the OP point. I am not fussy as to where my cabin is on the ship. I too would want to switch my cabin to guarantee status, in the hopes of getting an upgrade yet being satisfied with any cabin in the category I originally booked. The OP was not even looking to save money as I was.

Linda

Since HAL belongs to the same parent, I figured that upgrades would work in same fashion. So I talked to my TA about it and he thought it would be a good idea to ask HAL to move me into a guarantee also for a better chance to upgrade. He agreed with the Carnival rep that guarantees get first priority in an upgrade. As I already had a great SS cabin and all the big TA's on line were showing them as guarantee only, I felt I had nothing to lose by offering my cabin which HAL could sell cheaper and maybe fill the ship, while I would be in line for an upgrade. A win-win for everyone I thought. But.....

Should have talked to the Upgrade Fairy first ... though her ways are often more mysterious than HAL's. :)

One should never attempt to comprehend and anticipate the ways and means of the Upgrade Fairy. She is, by nature, a fickle and easy to upset imp. Remember ... if it's not nice to fool Mother Nature (and it isn't), it's even more dangerous to try and manipulate the Upgrade Fairy.

It would be a lateral transfer. The room prices were the same on the on line TA I mentioned.

You're saying the price you paid was the same price as the guarantee you wanted to switch to. or that at the time you wanted to switch the price was the same?

One factor that no one is taking into consideration is that HAL does not seem to have any problems selling S catagory cabins. Perhaps that is why they are not being less cooperative with the OP.

*JUST A QUESTION*

This is not directed at anyone in particular, just a question for information. Does it seem that people are expecting an upgrade more and more. It seems to me that it is becoming almost an entitlement and that people are upset when they do not automatically get one especially if they book a guarentee. Any thoughts? :confused:

Linda :)

Linda, I believe you are correct. Because there are a few reports of people being upgraded, others assume this will happen to them as well. In their minds it probably does become an entitlement.

In a mailing we received from HAL yesterday, they were promoting up to 3 categories upgrade. The asterisk footnote pointed out that upgrading would not go from inside to outside or outside to deluxe verandah (S) suite. There are rare instances where people are upgraded for one reason or another to an S ... or eventhe PH ... but they are few and far between.

Vicocala

Thanks, and happy sailing to you. I hope the upgrade fairy somehow visits.

As to the question posed by Ryansmemom, I can only answer for my self. As I said, I am happy with any room as long as it has a window. I usually book rooms for my parents and I to share. In those cases, we try for a balcony room because we share the cost and my mother loves a balcony. When I cruise with my parents location is important as they both have mobility issues, so it is important to be near the elevators. When I cruise alone it is simply enough to be on the ship. I booked the guarantees because the price was signifcantly cheaper than booking my originally chosen "cheapest" level outside cabin. When I changed to the guarantee status both times, it was with the hope to simply save money. (At this point $500 per person). I fully expected to end up in the same "cheapest" level outside cabin. I was pleased with the two category upgrade we received (one level each time we switched).

I do feel that those who are willing to travel guarantee status, should be given the best chance for an upgrade. After all they are the people willing to sail anywhere on the ship for the convenience of the cruise line. In theory this enables the cruise line to sell more cabins to those people who have to have a certain cabin. Since they are taking the risks shouldn't they also reap the rewards?

Vicocala

I do feel that those who are willing to travel guarantee status, should be given the best chance for an upgrade. After all they are the people willing to sail anywhere on the ship for the convenience of the cruise line. In theory this enables the cruise line to sell more cabins to those people who have to have a certain cabin. Since they are taking the risks shouldn't they also reap the rewards?

My experience on about 20 cruises, various lines, in the last 5 years in both a guarantee and specific cabin, is that I have never been visited by the "upgrade fairy." My theory is that upgrades become available if the ship hasn't been booked to capacity and the cruise line starts lowering prices. Therefore, upgrades are based on what was originally paid for the cabin, whether a guarantee or not. For instance, someone books an inside cabin at $800. The price of an inside eventually goes down to $600 and outside cabins are now selling at $800. The cruise line would prefer to upgade the original purchaser to the outside and sell the inside they vacated to a new customer for $600. No revenue loss for the line and keeps the customer happy.

Vicocala

As to the question posed by Ryansmemom, I can only answer for my self. As I said, I am happy with any room as long as it has a window. I usually book rooms for my parents and I to share. In those cases, we try for a balcony room because we share the cost and my mother loves a balcony. When I cruise with my parents location is important as they both have mobility issues, so it is important to be near the elevators. When I cruise alone it is simply enough to be on the ship. I booked the guarantees because the price was signifcantly cheaper than booking my originally chosen "cheapest" level outside cabin. When I changed to the guarantee status both times, it was with the hope to simply save money. (At this point $500 per person). I fully expected to end up in the same "cheapest" level outside cabin. I was pleased with the two category upgrade we received (one level each time we switched).

I do agree with you that people who book a guarantee ought to get the upgrades first because they have booked with that possibilty in mind and as part of the deal. I never book a guarantee because I am particular about my cabin and choose the one I want. I am not interested in another cabin.

It is my understanding that when you book a guarantee, you book a level you will definitly be comfortable with with the full knowledge that you may well end up with a cabin at that level. I wonder if people feel "cheated" if they get just that?

Also, as Jim pointed out, HAL does run promotions. We got the same mailing offering built in upgrades on certain sailings. However, those promotions never, to my knowledge, include an upgrade to a S or PS cabin. I also do not know how those promotions effect those who book guarantees. Does anyone have any information on this?

Linda

The "reward" is that you pay a lower price. From a business perspective, it makes more sense to upgrade those who a)book early and b) pay a higher price (this would only happen to those who indicate they are willing to be upgraded). Giving them an upgrade encourages that activity.

There are rare instances where people are upgraded for one reason or another to an S ... or eventhe PH ... but they are few and far between.

My TA, who at one time worked for a cruise line in inventory control (not HAL, but not one in FL, I know that narrows it down) told me that when these great upgrades occur it is because the ship needs the cabin you are upgraded from.

There are many reasons. The cabin is needed for a late booking for someone to be close to a family member. The cabin must be taken out of inventory as there is a problem with it. Etc. etc.

It is my understanding that when you book a guarantee, you book a level you will definitly be comfortable with with the full knowledge that you may well end up with a cabin at that level. I wonder if people feel "cheated" if they get just that?

Linda

In my case I was happy with any of the cabins in the level I originally booked. In fact if they had given me back the original cabin I booked in the basement of the ship, I still would have been happy with my price drop. In fact the drop in price was so drastic, I fully expected to receive the lowest cabin in my category.

Archived