Is class distinction alive and well on X?

shot2bits

Just reading another review comparing Cunard with Celebrity. The poster said there was no distinction on Cunard 'unlike Celebrity'. I admit I have only done one previous cruise with Celebrity, with another booked for next year, but I never noticed any class distinction on our trip. Who's right? Just interested!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just reading another review comparing Cunard with Celebrity. The poster said there was no distinction on Cunard 'unlike Celebrity'. I admit I have only done one previous cruise with Celebrity, with another booked for next year, but I never noticed any class distinction on our trip. Who's right? Just interested!

You should read more than one review before being concerned about this. Do you have specific questions or concerns?

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

No, none at all! I was surprised to be honest with you. We found the Eclipse to be a wonderful experience, everyone was friendly and it still the best cruise I have done to date. Hope our next one lives up to expectations!

You can "cut & dice" this several ways:

Are the perks in Elite, Elite Plus, etc. a class distinction-for the same cabin fee you get extra perks, reduced price, etc. while a "newbie" in a similar cabin does not receive this loyalty perk?

Are the closed dining rooms for Aqua and the new suite class a class distinction? They pay a different fee and both old-time cruisers and newbies pay the same.

I don't look at it as class separation. To me it is just a matter of those that pay more, get more. Not unlike resorts, hotels, air travel etc.

I will most likely never stay in a suite so I'm not entitled to those benefits. It doesn't bother me because I know that if I wanted to, I could. I just choose not to.

To me it would be an issue if a certain group of people was prohibited from booking a higher class cabin. But that's not the case.

The word class is a trigger word. Just think of differences as either loyalty benefits distinctions or cabin category distinctions.

The loyalty club is alive and well, and there are differences in benefits and for those who get to Zenith, they are remarkable. So yes definite loyalty distinction.

Suite categories will be rewarded with even more benefits, particularly the upper ones. Nothing new for AQ and below, however there are a few cuts for all.

There no is class distinction. If one thinks there is, it is because they are jealous because someone is getting something they aren't.

The perks are available to everyone. Anyone can get the perks that suite customers get, by cruising in a suite and anyone can get the Elite, Elite+ and Zenith perks, by cruising more.

Hmmm. We seem to alternate between Cunard and Celebirty. Last time out was Solstice in New Zealand, next is Cunard to the Med. Here's the long and short of it:

Cunard has a well defined class system, usually most strongly visible in the minds of people who have never set foot on a Cunard ship. For the majority of pax, there's no noticiable distinction.

Celebrity has a very active community of people who seem willing to book a cruise just to advance up the Captains' Club loyalty scheme toward the little know "obsidian black, rolled up trouser leg" level. These people are significantly more profitable than the suite pax, who are paying top dollar for cabin real estate and are not so keen to gorge on the freebies. But as we all know, loyalty is worth so much more than revenue.

The bottom line is that you find class distinction where you go looking for it. Whether it actually exists or not. In reality it's just good, old-fashione capitalism - the more you pay the more you get.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I can understand how someone might feel about the different class of passengers on Celebrity. We choose to get inside cabins, not because we can"t afford better, but because we like the dark rooms. Yet we cannot go into Michel's or Blu. Should that make us feel like outcast? Personally, I don't have a problem with it at this point, but I think if they continue to certain areas off limits to certain passengers I think I will. Why not pay more for certain cabins and perks within your cabin, such as mini bar and butlers. When not in room let everyone have a chance to enjoy all the areas. If there is an extra change that is ok. I have been on a transatlantic cruise (Raphael 1969) and went first class. Other classes were not allowed on our deck at all. I hope cruising with Celebrity never tries to make anyone feel like anything else but a first class passenger!!!.

Cunard has a well defined class system, usually most strongly visible in the minds of people who have never set foot on a Cunard ship. For the majority of pax, there's no noticeable distinction.

That makes me feel so much better. I am going on a Cunard cruise next month - my first with them. Reading their threads makes me feel that people will be pretty snotty, hoity toity or whatever you want to call it! I have loved all of my cruises and X is my favourite line and never noticed any snobbery or whatever on their ships so really hope the snotty ones are just on these boards and not on board!

Cheers

Pat

Edited by Deeliteful

Whomever said there's no class distinction on Cunard is wrong. If you book a Grill class suite, you have separate dining rooms, a separate area on the deck for sun bathing and separate bars/lounges.

Whomever said there's no class distinction on Cunard is wrong. If you book a Grill class suite, you have separate dining rooms, a separate area on the deck for sun bathing and separate bars/lounges.

Ya know I agree.....I looked at the Cunard. Tiers depending on the fare you pay.

I really cant afford a suite, but as D+ with RCI and Elite I do enjoy the perks. Folk who can afford the suites also enjoy their perks. Doesn't make anybody a snob if they enjoy what they are paying for and it happens to be different or upgraded.

Sometimes it is about perception and people's attitude in everyday life. We had a couple on a cruise that had sailed every line, were retired as they had done so well (on and on), they didn't like this and that, but that didn't stop them also bragging about booking a disabled/accessible cabin a year out from sailing. When asked how could they do that, they just ticked the box online and were never asked for proof. No Class! End of story.

When we saw the guy two doors up from them that had to get out of his wheelchair in the hallway and was apologising for holding us up, he was all class. He was enjoying his cruise and had not one bad thing to say.

Class can come in many forms. People that think they are a class above, often are not.

Glad to see that the green eyed monster is alive and well and living in the land of the free.

It's not a class distinction, it's just paying more and getting more. Take it from a lowly council house kid (you'd probably call it the projects) who actually goes QG at least once or twice a year.

Having said that, if you are speaking from recent personal experience aboard a Cunard ship, rather than some sort of blind but absolutist judgement, then I respectfully suggest you give it another go and this time, leave your prejudices at the gang plank and board with an open mind. Even better, go QG.

Of course its a class distinction, otherwise the vendor would be unable to charge different prices for the services/accom provided.

Using 'class' to distinguish a category of accommodation or service is commonplace and easily overcome by all who wish to pay the going rate of the day.

Class as a state of mind though is much more difficult to break down if people continue to believe they are better than others.

I firmly maintain we are all equal.....its just that some are more equal than others.;)

Thanks Chunky2219.

Your comments are right on.

The current cruise industry is modeling their ships and on board experience as in the days of the liners. The industry is working hard to segment passengers based on willingness to pay - not ability to pay since cruising is more affordable for all vs the days of the liners.

The physical layout of ships, the increasing restrictions of access to internal space, and on board experience is Exactly as per the age of the liners.

This current trend is the abandonment of the original philosophy of the early cruise industry - 1 ship and everyone has same experience other than size and fit and finish of the cabin.

The early pioneers of the cruise industry passed judgement on Cunard and the French line for their "classes". The early cruise executive were joyful in 76 when the SS France was taken out of service.

Frankly there are many posters on CC that are living with legacy thinking regarding Cunard and its "classes". Folks, "classes" today are linked to $ not social strata as in the days of the liners.

X is rapidly becoming "class" as Cunard - but way beyond Cunard based on contrasting my recent X experiences and my 2 wonderful recent trips on Cunard. On Cunard there is limited physical space limitations for Cunard Grill class vs on X there is the growing number of restricted spaces and loss of use during the day of common space for loyalty segmented activities during the day. On X, guests are required to leave public space for loyalty events. On Cunard no one talked about their "class". On the Cunard boards I have not seen posters self identify as Grill class the way some posters on this board do to self identify as Elite etc.

My pre conceived notions of Cunard were eliminated once aboard where their ships were welcoming and guests so friendly. Cunard has a great product.

I hope people can wean themselves away from X and other lines and experience the choices in the industry.

X is deliberately moving to a highly segmented and restricted model of delivery which is very much like the liners of the past. But X is not alone, NCL and their Haven is more evidence of the end of the original cruising model.

ABoatNerd

Edited by ABoatNerd

Interesting discussion and some very interesting views. Based on my (limited) experience sailing with Thomson (and they are a story all on their own), P&O and Celebrity, I have personally never found any snobbery in any way shape or form. Ok, there are some people who have somewhat more successful in life than me and can go the suite route, but there are others who can only aspire to a Aqua, Concierge or a balcony etc. I go on every cruise with an open mind and have yet to be made to feel inferior in any way. So looking forward to the next one. Thanks everybody!

It's not just a matter of ability to pay. It is desire to pay. I know of very well off people who never pay extra for a balcony when if they desired they could be in the finest of suites.

That said, on a Celebrity ship they have access to the same specialty resturants, pools, entertainment and most bars as the rest of the passengers.

This is no different than what happens on RCI, Celebrity, NCL, HAL, and the list could go on. Not class distinction or segregation... you pay for what you get.

Glad to see that the green eyed monster is alive and well and living in the land of the free.

It's not a class distinction, it's just paying more and getting more. Take it from a lowly council house kid (you'd probably call it the projects) who actually goes QG at least once or twice a year.

Having said that, if you are speaking from recent personal experience aboard a Cunard ship, rather than some sort of blind but absolutist judgement, then I respectfully suggest you give it another go and this time, leave your prejudices at the gang plank and board with an open mind. Even better, go QG.

Thank you.

In all my years of sailing on Celebrity ships I have never had a conversation about what kind of cabin someone has. Unless I personally know them or they were specifically giving me their cabin number to contact them, I wouldn't have any idea where they were staying. It's not important.

:cool: It just depends on what "CLASS" you are in. Inside cabins have to spend two hours per day rowing. You would never know this with a balcony. Outside cabins must spend two hours per day serving meals or working in kitchen. Balcony guests spend two hours per day serving drinks. Suite guests get to eat those meals and drink those drinks. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Once out of your cabin, no one cares less who or what you are. The guy sitting next to you at the martini bar just may be in the most expensive suite, and you would never know it, nor would either one of you care:cool: JACK IS SAILING AGAIN