Thrill for FREE!!

EL Capitan Z

We were on the Dream in August. On Deck 5 you are able to walk the whole diameter/circumference of the ship. On the Belize to Cozumel segment (night), the winds were howling at around 68 km/h. The big screen in Ocean Plaza verified the speed.

My daughter and I decided to walk all the way around the ship on deck 5. As we worked our way towards the Bow, it started getting very windy and fade to pitch black. The wind nearly picked us up off our feet. It was an incredible feeling and experience; Pitch Black, howling/deafening winds and a feeling of losing control while getting picked up off of our feet, almost:D.

This was truly a thrilling and amazing experience for us.

My daughter and I decided to walk all the way around the ship on deck 5. As we worked our way towards the Bow, it started getting very windy and fade to pitch black. The wind nearly picked us up off our feet. It was an incredible feeling and experience; Pitch Black, howling/deafening winds and a feeling of losing control while getting picked up off of our feet, almost:D.

Lucky you didn't go overboard with your daughter.

We were on the Dream in August. On Deck 5 you are able to walk the whole diameter/circumference of the ship. On the Belize to Cozumel segment (night), the winds were howling at around 68 km/h. The big screen in Ocean Plaza verified the speed.

Carnival usually closes open decks when it gets that windy. Safety first.

I've sailed in windstorms that broke all the glass on the ship (wasn't Carnival), but I sure wouldn't go out on the open deck in that kind of weather. What made you want to do that? Just curious.

At 68 km/hr, the actual wind speed could have been 20 - 25 mph.

68 Km/hr = 42 mph

ship speed + wind speed = 42 mph

18 knots (20mph)+ 20/25 mph = 40/45 mph

So the wind may have only been 20 mph, if it was in the same direction the ship was heading.

If the wind was a different heading than the ship, then you get into vectors and some differential calculus, which I won't get into here.

Carnival usually closes open decks when it gets that windy. Safety first.

I've sailed in windstorms that broke all the glass on the ship (wasn't Carnival), but I sure wouldn't go out on the open deck in that kind of weather. What made you want to do that? Just curious.

We wanted to walk after dinner and had never been on Deck 5. As we strolled forward it started to get windy. Instead of backtracking, curiosity provoked us to continue the windy stroll around the BOW.

I am surprised the area was not closed, now that someone brought it up.:rolleyes: