How do you know if you have a good travel agent?

My yardstick is do the perks they actually give (vs only offer) outweigh my ability to control my reservation and make changes etc when I want (vs when they are open and available.) I work with a TA for our WDW trips because they are so much more knowledgeable and get me the deals when I'm eligible w/o me even having to ask or request them. Cruises I book myself because I often change things up and want to be able to control it more.

I used to book cruises myself, then finally decided to try it through a TA and found that I could get the same price that RCI was offering, even a bit lower once, plus get some additional perks that RCI was not including. These perks included priority boarding (even without getting a suite), OBC's (amounts varied), a bottle of champagne delivered to the cabin, and dinner for two at a specialty restaurant (usually $35 pp).

After booking, my TA would email me to let me know if there was a price drop, and whether or not I would give up any of the perks if I decided to rebook at the lower price. Usually he was able to keep the perks attached even with the lower price.

My TA let me know about the initial BOGOHO sale on May 1st (being fairly new to RCI's sales, it was the first BOGOHO I recall, at least). This was the one that really had the great savings for the first couple of days before they raised the prices. The sales since then haven't come close. I saved thousands that I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of in time if he hadn't let me know.

Also, he follows up with me before the cruise to make sure I don't need anything else. My next cruise is this Saturday, and he called me on Monday to remind me to print my Sea Pass, luggage tags, make copies of my passports, etc.

I know that some of you have had negative experiences with TA's, but mine has been great so I thought I'd share with those who are still undecided. I still use the RCI site to choose upcoming cruises and cabins, but I book through my TA once I've decided what I want. To me it's the best of both worlds.

I used a TA for my NCL cruise in Hawaii. He was great to work with especially making last minute changes for me on booking a hotel and travel to the terminal. He promptly retuned e-mails and phone calls. When I switched to RCI cruises, he wasn't as competitive. I found my current TA through another website, not sure I can post the name here but I've used him ever since. He offers better OBC perks than others and I can reach him 24/7 as I have his private cell number.

1- An open line of communication by phone/email with reasonable response time, during the booking process

2- An open line of instant communication during travel time to and from the cruise, no matter the day

The prices are set by the CL so anything else is just window dressing