Which Southern Carribean Port To Avoid !

piinc

Stay with a group, you should be OK.

If you are going to St Croix on a Sunday most stores and public places will be closed. At least that was the case last year. If you want to see the island get a tour early and get back on the ship early. You should take avantage of staying all day on the other islands. :)

I agree with those who urge you to "do it all." :) I will say one of my favorite places in the southern Caribbean is St. Lucia because of the spices, the wonderful people and mountains/volcano amid the flying fish.

There is a lot to look forward to on that cruise! :cool:

Hey Steve

Hope you and your wife are well! Miss cruising from Philly! We are headed to st Lucia this weekend on a non cruise adventure. We're on the NCL Epic on January 18.

John and Sue from Syracuse

Sounds like everyone is discussing Eastern Caribbean. Southern is mostly the ABC islands and a couple of others. Our southern trip is Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba. That is the real Southern Cruise IMHO. Harry :cool:

True, but some cruises, like our upcoming one in Dec., hit both areas--we'll be in Aruba up to St. Kitts, with lots of amazing islands in between.

The real southern cruise is our favorite itinerary, by far, especially Domica and Grenada.

True, but some cruises, like our upcoming one in Dec., hit both areas--we'll be in Aruba up to St. Kitts, with lots of amazing islands in between.

The real southern cruise is our favorite itinerary, by far, especially Domica and Grenada.

What do you like about Dominica? I understand Grenada and, finally, what kind of fish do you have in your lake. I envy you. :cool:

What do you like about Dominica? I understand Grenada and, finally, what kind of fish do you have in your lake. I envy you. :cool:

Bass, bluegills, crappie, a few catfish and a few very elusive walleye. We only do catch and release, so the fishing is good! (Family owned lake.)

We like the more natural islands, not as commercialized. Dominca has amazing interior sights; waterfalls, hot springs, spectacular gorges (one was featured in a Pirates of the Caribbean film--and we jumped into it and swam up it; foliage, etc.

We also snorkeled at Champagne Bay, some of the best we have done in the Caribbean. Snorkeling with lots of fish and 'champagne' like bubbles coming up from vents in the ocean floor.

The island is not nearly as developed as, say, Aruba or St. Thomas.

Bass, bluegills, crappie, a few catfish and a few very elusive walleye. We only do catch and release, so the fishing is good! (Family owned lake.)

We like the more natural islands, not as commercialized. Dominca has amazing interior sights; waterfalls, hot springs, spectacular gorges (one was featured in a Pirates of the Caribbean film--and we jumped into it and swam up it; foliage, etc.

We also snorkeled at Champagne Bay, some of the best we have done in the Caribbean. Snorkeling with lots of fish and 'champagne' like bubbles coming up from vents in the ocean floor.

Thank you for your input.

Sorry, but, from Colorado I love to fish. No catch an release here. When I fish it is meat fishing. Food. Same as hunting. Just shoot to wound??? Doesn't make much sense does it??? Take what you need, use what you get. No waste.

Harry

Here's the final tally on -

If you absolutely have to skip a port on this itinerary:

Votes:

St. Croix: 12 votes

St. Lucia: 8 votes

St. Maarten 4.5 votes

Leaving next Thursday to San Juan :)- so excited!

Thank you for your input.

Sorry, but, from Colorado I love to fish. No catch an release here. When I fish it is meat fishing. Food. Same as hunting. Just shoot to wound??? Doesn't make much sense does it??? Take what you need, use what you get. No waste.

Harry

We've done plenty of 'real' fishing too, but our lake is 11 acres and if we let everyone take all they wanted, soon there would be no fish. There are too many people who will take dozens out of one small lake. We do harvest some of the cat sometimes, as they are getting big. They don't breed in this type of water, but just grow.

We used to fish quite a bit, spent many vacations here and in Minnesota fishing growing up, but after 20 years on the lake we rarely fish anymore. The grandkids do, though, as well as their friends, and our son, who also lives on the lake is a walleye tournament fisherman. Sorry to go so off topic!

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I'm of the mind to check out each island, but maybe just not make a full day out of it in each port. If the port area has some interesting things to check out, then make that your shorter day in port. If the port area is what is getting such negative reviews, then consider an excursion that is further afield; but each island has some hidden treasures.

Your itinerary is one of the more interesting ones in the Caribbean. Spend some time in the Ports of Call section and do a search of what's not to miss about each port. Think about what types of activities that you, and your travel companions enjoy: active, history, beaches, scenery or even tours of spice factories.

For myself, I loved old San Juan; the history, architecture, and breakfast at La Bombonera, not to mention that the blue stone cobblestones that line most of the streets were originally used as ballast in the old sailing ships. I found it to be an interesting city.

In St. Croix, we visited a sugar plantation that was hosting an art show that day and we met some interesting crafts people. I would definitely go back.

St. Maarten is another fascinating island, but if there is any chance that you would go on another cruise, this one is included on many other itineraries. We really enjoyed a couple of beers on the beach while watching the big planes as they came in for a landing - yes, this is the island where the planes are so close that you feel that you could almost reach up and touch them as they come in for a landing.

I have never been to St Lucia, but I would love to go see the scenery.

Enjoy your trip! And do come back and post your thoughts and experiences of the various islands when you get back.

Champagne Bay was one of the best snorkeling places I've visiting in the Caribbean. Loved the bubbles ;)

That is an island where you need an excursion, there is so much to see inside the island.

~Anna

I don't think I'd say "avoid" any island. There is something to see everywhere. Some are maybe not as interesting (to you) as others, but as with anything else, some folks will say "don't miss" others will say "don't bother". We've taken a winter Caribbean cruise now for over the past 30 years and have been to just about every island several times and many dozens of times. Frequently, we don't get off the ship. Not because we are "avoiding" the island, but because we've been there many times..."seen it, done it, got the T-shirt". The beaches are lovely at just about all of the islands, but with transportation, entrance fees (sometimes), renting chairs/umbrellas, a snack or a beverage, a few hours at a beach ends up costing around $50. Just as soon stay by the pool, NO problem getting a lounger, staff is at your beck and call for a beverage and the buffet, at which there are no lines, is a few steps away. Our favorite time for being on the ship is when it is in port and everyone else is off.