Iphone /imessage

newkscruiser

While at sea, you should be able to message from iPad to iPad/iPhone back home with just one of the internet packages right?

You don't need an internet package to text message. If you wanted to facetime, then you'd need the internet package. I've been on several cruises with my iphone and use the texting a LOT to communicate with people back home or on the ship or in the ports if I'm on the ship or vice versa. I have Verizon and it costs 50 cents to send a text and 5 cents to receive a text. Costs the recipient nothing at home.

I use my iphone onboard for picture and video taking, music, texting. I turn off the data roaming feature and wifi is off, too. You can't rely on texting when you're at sea sometimes--it just won't work. Those texts will all come in at once when the ship is somewhere the phone can receive. Also, my iphone is not reliable for the time/date at all. It goes haywire some of the time, but not always. And, not all iphones act the same when I cruise with other iphone owners. Everyone's seems different and you may never lose texting capability at all and the time might be right. If I lose texting capabilities and it's necessary to communicate with someone at home, I use the ship phone at $1.99/minute--it's cheaper than Cellular at Sea at $2.49/minute.

If you want to use the internet on your iphone/ipad, buy the internet package, but if you only need texts, don't waste your money.

Can't you use the WiFi as an alternative method of sending texts (via iPhones/iPads) in lieu of using the wireless provider? You're still paying for the WiFi service... So in the end I'm not sure if it's a wash or more expensive vs. the (for instance) Verizon 50 cents to send a text cost?

Thoughts? 😕

Sent from my iPhone using Forums