Waterloo/Westminster versus Victoria Hotel Area Questions

Solara

We are going to be in London pre cruise for 4 nights starting October 21st. At this late date my choices are more limited. I have either the Premier Inn Waterloo/Westminster or the Premier Inn Victoria Station. Park Plaza Westminster is also a possibility but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.

On Saturday we will be taking the Princess transfer from Victoria Station directly to the ship.

Which area is better to stay in to be more centrally located? How much would a cab be from the Waterloo/Westminster area to Victoria Station?

Any other hotel suggestions or opinions will be helpful.

Is there any grocery type stores close to either location.

Thanks!

In August we (4 adults - 60yo age range) 'walked from Victoria Coach Station to Premier Inn -Victoria. It took about 10 minutes rolling our luggage.

Inside Victoria Rail/Underground Station there is a Sainsbury Local store. We bought sodas, snacks and a few other things there. Our friend described it as the place a commuter stops when they get a call at work saying "Dear, we're out of (fill in blank), please pick some up on the way home". There is also a Boots pharmacy in the station.

Just came back to our hotel in Covent Garden and passed through Victoria .

It was entirely dug up when we were in London 1 year ago and from the looks of it now it is worse. Central London is a major construction zone right now due to a stronger economy. I would NOT recommend staying any where near the Victoria area. The Waterloo / Westminster area would be much better and worth the price. There is also much more to see and do by foot in these areas.

I think for your average tourist, the area near the Premier Inn Victoria will have more services than Waterloo (and yes, despite slipping in 'Westminster' into their names, both of the other hotels you mentioned are in Waterloo, and yes it makes a difference). Just checked it out on Google Street View, and both the hotel and area (near Eccleston Square) look quite nice.

Solara ~

I wouldn't obsess too much over which of these two hotels and locations might be "better." Both areas have their pros & cons, but I wouldn't lose any sleep trying to decide which one to book.

I understand Orchestrapal's concerns about Victoria. That said, I wouldn't go so far as to say that you shouldn't even consider staying there. I've always found the area immediately around Victoria Station to be somewhat chaotic and tacky--it was that way more than 40 years ago, and it's that way now. But, as Twickenham says, the Premiere Inn Victoria itself is tucked away in a relatively quiet and pleasant setting. (And there's a Sainsbury's around the corner.) The fact that it's within easy walking distance of Victoria Coach Station might be a plus for you.

Also as per Twickenham, the Premiere Inn Westminster/Waterloo is definitely located in Waterloo (on the South Bank of the Thames), not Westminster. The hotel itself is a modern building, immediately adjacent to Waterloo Station, with good bus and tube connections to other parts of London. It's only a five-minutes' walk, if that, to the South Bank promenade, the location of the London Eye, Royal Festival Hall, etc.

Which one would I choose? It's hard to say, as I'm quite partial to Bloomsbury myself.

The reviews on TripAdvisor might help you make your decision.

I've always found the area immediately around Victoria Station to be somewhat chaotic and tacky--it was that way more than 40 years ago, and it's that way now. But, as Twickenham says, the Premiere Inn Victoria itself is tucked away in a relatively quiet and pleasant setting. (And there's a Sainsbury's around the corner.) The fact that it's within easy walking distance of Victoria Coach Station might be a plus for you.

It's really the Street View that swayed me because I'm with you re: Victoria - not generally my favourite area, but the part where the PI is located looks quite nice.

Which one would I choose? It's hard to say, as I'm quite partial to Bloomsbury myself.

LOL we all have our favs:D. I've stayed several times in Paddington and quite like its shabby-chic vibe.

But really, it's a couple of nights and you'll be out and about most of the time anyways - go with the lowest price of the 3.

The price of both the Premier's is pretty much the same so that doesn't help with deciding. Either hotel we would end up taking a cab to Victoria Station. How long of a cab ride is it from Waterloo to Victoria Station?

Is there a Sainsburys near Waterloo too?

Also we want to get the Travel card with the 2 for 1 discounts. I know you can buy at National Rail at Victoria Station but is Waterloo also a National Rail Station? I know that makes a difference.

Thanks!