We'll see where goes HAL

Tugy

The dress code is a suggestion, not a rule. There are casual areas on the ship despite the night's theme.

Hawaiian shirts, shorts, etc. are well within HAL's "rules."

100% agreed! On our last RCL cruise there were a few people who did not adhere to the formal night dress code, but that was their choice. Did it affect my enjoyment of formal night? Of course not. And we love dressing up for those 1 or 2 formals on board.

As for the opening hours of the buffet on dats with a late dock. We adjust our schedule to fit into the cruise ships' schedule.

Edited by MaverickCSX

we showed up at dinner with a another couple on formal night in "non" formal attire by mistake. my husband and the other guy had on nice shirts and slacks, us ladies had on some kind of tops and black pants. At the dining room supplied jackets for the gents and let us slide.

This was on the Eurodam, 2009

If you want to look like a slob on Dress up night I don't care -- I'm dressing up

I can tell you that many officers and staff care...they find it disrespectful to other passengers, and the ship/cruiseline that they work hard for when people dress like slobs on formal nights.

My husband and I were on the same cruise as Tugy. I went back and checked our daily newsletter and I can confirm that the Lido opened for lunch at 12 noon.

However, on the dress code issue, I feel that I have to defend the 1400 passengers on-board. As far as cruises go, my husband and I found this group to be dressed very well on most nights, and formal on formal nights. Although not a scientific study, we felt that we saw more tuxes than we usually do on formal nights, all four of them. In fact, people stayed dressed after dinner and people in the lounges and bars remained in their finery until bed.

I am a little confused about the “Hawaiian slippers, sports pants at the knee, Caribbean shirts” comment. Honestly, we never saw anything like that, not once, even during the day. Aside from our first sea day which was quite warm, the rest of the trip temperatures were mostly in the 50s and 60s. Most days on the deck you needed a jacket. It just wasn’t the “Caribbean shirt” kind of crowd in general, let alone in the evenings.

Tugy’s post made it sound as if formal night attire was in a crisis situation on HAL. Whether you agree with formal night dress codes or not, it needs to be said that this cruise and its passengers were in compliance.

we showed up at dinner with a another couple on formal night in "non" formal attire by mistake. my husband and the other guy had on nice shirts and slacks, us ladies had on some kind of tops and black pants. At the dining room supplied jackets for the gents and let us slide.

This was on the Eurodam, 2009

Wow, all four of your missed seeing in the Daily Program what the dress code for the night was. :eek: :D Good they MDR was agreeable to seating the gentlemen.

I can tell you that many officers and staff care...they find it disrespectful to other passengers, and the ship/cruiseline that they work hard for when people dress like slobs on formal nights.

Yes. Crew and Officers care.

You see how smart the Officers all look on formal night in their starched white jackets. They worked hard all day but took the trouble to dress and come out in the evening dressed so beautifully for us to admire. We're on vacation and with planning, should be easier for us to dress ourselves appropriately.

That being said, I have totally given up on caring what anyone else wears but this post is true and rarely stated and I felt I wanted to state agreement.

Edited by sail7seas

Wow, all four of your missed seeing in the Daily Program what the dress code for the night was. :eek: :D Good they MDR was agreeable to seating the gentlemen.

You see how smart the Officers all look on formal night in their starched white jackets. They worked hard all day but took the trouble to dress and come out in the evening dressed so beautifully for us to admire. We're on vacation and with planning, should be easier for us to dress ourselves appropriately.

That being said, I have totally given up on caring what anyone else wears but this post is true and rarely stated and I felt I wanted to state agreement.

Or are the officers and crew "ordered" to care? How much of it is genuine and how much is show?

Do you think the officers would rather be in casual clothes kicking back at the crew bar or dressed in starched whites mingling with yet another group of passengers - same as last week and the weeks before.

I guess like anything else, some do and some don't enjoy formal night.

Or are the officers and crew "ordered" to care? How much of it is genuine and how much is show?

Do you think the officers would rather be in casual clothes kicking back at the crew bar or dressed in starched whites mingling with yet another group of passengers - same as last week and the weeks before.

I guess like anything else, some do and some don't enjoy formal night.

I agree. Dressing in whichever uniform they dress in, is part of their job description.

I just checked our last two cruises. The Lido was open 11 to 2 for Bistro and 11 to 5 for Deli.

Alesund, 5 August 2014, Ms. Rotterdam, Lido self service open at 12pm, with meeting point for de "The Island of Giske and Godoy" tour at 12:15pm. Pinnacle Manager Eddie (Hungarian). I have all noted.

Thank you for comment, you are always welcome.

My husband and I were on the same cruise as Tugy. I went back and checked our daily newsletter and I can confirm that the Lido opened for lunch at 12 noon.

However, on the dress code issue, I feel that I have to defend the 1400 passengers on-board. As far as cruises go, my husband and I found this group to be dressed very well on most nights, and formal on formal nights. Although not a scientific study, we felt that we saw more tuxes than we usually do on formal nights, all four of them. In fact, people stayed dressed after dinner and people in the lounges and bars remained in their finery until bed.

I am a little confused about the “Hawaiian slippers, sports pants at the knee, Caribbean shirts” comment. Honestly, we never saw anything like that, not once, even during the day. Aside from our first sea day which was quite warm, the rest of the trip temperatures were mostly in the 50s and 60s. Most days on the deck you needed a jacket. It just wasn’t the “Caribbean shirt” kind of crowd in general, let alone in the evenings.

Tugy’s post made it sound as if formal night attire was in a crisis situation on HAL. Whether you agree with formal night dress codes or not, it needs to be said that this cruise and its passengers were in compliance.

You saw the military camouflaged (theater session 10pm) in night gala?

Saw the popcorn tossed on the floor with their packaging?

Saw the people talking loudly in the violinist night and other outraged guests ? (theater session 10pm)

I want a good future for the company, but if these situations are well for all I approve and go to another.

I spoke only four points, enough. But I can talk about more. Those who advocate certain situations, when they choosing cruises, they want to know about ships options and their services to choose well. They will be the first to give me reason with their future choices.

Your comments are always welcome, thank you.

Clearly, we are on vacation and want to be comfortable but, the “order” provides only pleasure. If everyone does what they want, it is not free style, is anarchy and lack of respect for the others personal space who’s participating in the events success.

If guests do not participate as active members and recipients of these special events, the objectives are not achieved. The company, with poor adherence, quits. You buy the “everyday home” at sea.

Let's apply the non-compliance with the Dress Code logic on the ship. Imagine that the ship has a schedule of events and does not respect ...

Grateful to all who participate in this dialogue

Am I to assume from this comment that on formal nights, you personally took the time to go around the both levels of the dining room and personally inspected each and every passenger to make sure that they were compliant with the dress code?

Did you look on both sides of the Lido? In my experience, one side opens for breakfast and lunch earlier than the other as well as one closing earlier than the other. Maybe I have always been lucky or things have changed since late 2013, but I know I have had lunch on the Lido before noon.

Hello Wander, yes we see it both sides.

Perhaps there was a delay on the wrong day. The problem was the answer given by Lido Manager who did not understand the situation of hundreds of guets with meeting point at 12:15.

Thank you for participating

Tugy - Love your graphic. The dress issue was exactly why I disliked NCL and it's freestyle cruising. Shorts and tee shirts in the MDR every night. Might as well have stayed in an all-inclusive in Cancun.

Why not order room service and stick a Turkey Club in your backpack before heading out? We stashed sliced meats, cheese and rolls in a baggie at breakfast and enjoyed them along the way, since we knew our excursion wouldn't get us back in time for lunch. Probably not completely honest, but hey, they planned the shore trips around being out during meals.

Sent from my H55H-3.8L using Tapatalk

we tuned :D Cruise 4 Sunshine

Tuned! The same in other words.

Remember if in Your work someone belittles your efforts. Now imagine the pride you feel when people can appreciate your work.

Tugy, I understand that different people can have different experiences on the same cruise. Some of the things that you mentioned that you were unhappy with; I cannot address as I wasn’t there and didn’t see what you saw. You certainly have the right to your own opinion.

But I did want to mention how people were dressed for formal night. In our opinion, people looked as if they were adhering to the dress code. We don’t recall anyone who wasn’t dressed properly. Overall, the ship looked nice and all four formal nights had a formal feel, especially in the MDR but outside of the MDR as well.

Cbr663, All I can tell you is when in the MDR, everyone around us and all those that we walked past, and those that sat below us on the first floor looked nice and were adhering to the dress code. Of course, we didn’t see every single person who ate in the MDR, but of who we saw, they were dressed in formal attire. There were no glaring stand-outs. And as I had mentioned before, a large number of gentlemen were in tuxes. The passengers looked great, the MDR was festive and the staff did a terrific job of making our meals special.

My husband and I thought this cruise was one of our best. All around, this cruise hit the high notes. HAL’s service is always terrific but this time it was above and beyond. The ports were amazing. The MDR food was very good. The passengers were delightful. Ms. Rotterdam was pleasant and provided an intimate and comfortable environment. Linda’s commentary on the scenic cruising was interesting and informative. Captain Marco was visible and personable. I could go on and on. We had an A+ experience and were pleased with HAL and the Voyage of the Midnight Sun.

Tugy, I understand that different people can have different experiences on the same cruise. Some of the things that you mentioned that you were unhappy with; I cannot address as I wasn’t there and didn’t see what you saw. You certainly have the right to your own opinion.

But I did want to mention how people were dressed for formal night. In our opinion, people looked as if they were adhering to the dress code. We don’t recall anyone who wasn’t dressed properly. Overall, the ship looked nice and all four formal nights had a formal feel, especially in the MDR but outside of the MDR as well.

Cbr663, All I can tell you is when in the MDR, everyone around us and all those that we walked past, and those that sat below us on the first floor looked nice and were adhering to the dress code. Of course, we didn’t see every single person who ate in the MDR, but of who we saw, they were dressed in formal attire. There were no glaring stand-outs. And as I had mentioned before, a large number of gentlemen were in tuxes. The passengers looked great, the MDR was festive and the staff did a terrific job of making our meals special.

My husband and I thought this cruise was one of our best. All around, this cruise hit the high notes. HAL’s service is always terrific but this time it was above and beyond. The ports were amazing. The MDR food was very good. The passengers were delightful. Ms. Rotterdam was pleasant and provided an intimate and comfortable environment. Linda’s commentary on the scenic cruising was interesting and informative. Captain Marco was visible and personable. I could go on and on. We had an A+ experience and were pleased with HAL and the Voyage of the Midnight Sun.

Definitely, we had different experiences on the same ship.

I would encourage you to write a letter to HAL expressing your concerns. I once had a negative experience on one of our HAL cruises. I wrote to them and was pleased with their responsiveness and the outcome. Sometimes one of the best ways to judge a company is to see how they solve problems and respond to their customers.

I would encourage you to write a letter to HAL expressing your concerns. I once had a negative experience on one of our HAL cruises. I wrote to them and was pleased with their responsiveness and the outcome. Sometimes one of the best ways to judge a company is to see how they solve problems and respond to their customers.

I carefully filled out the survey by mail (outsourcing). I reported the situations for days, times and persons/entities involved. But I will follow your suggestion. I have no faith in the survey, is clearly statisticians work. Thank you.

Tugy - Here's hoping that HAL will be responsive to your complaints. We spend a great deal of money on these cruises and expect a certain level of satisfaction.

It's always interesting to read about other people's experiences with the various cruise lines. Thank you for sharing :)

Edited by MaverickCSX