Cabo San Lucas post huricane

myrvhome

I have also posted this on the regular Princess Board and our Roll Call.

Okay, so we received another letter about shore excursions for our October 1 cruise. I then picked up the phone and called Princess. I explained that I thought the letters were very insensitive to the problems concerning Cabo right now. We are NOT going to book at a "beach front luxury hotel with white sand beaches" at this point.:eek:

I asked the rep if I could speak with someone higher up the telephone chain. She completely understood my frustration and connected me with Customer Relations.

I explained my feelings once more and also requested that Princess please let us know what our itinerary will be. The rep said she would talk to Operations and find out why the letters had not been stopped. She also said management is working hard to figure out exactly what should be done with our cruise.

I did suggest 3 days in PV. :D

Cheers, Denise

i am sailing on the miracle on the 4th and hoping to hear from carnival as to what their plans are so i can plan my time there. I have never been to cabo san lucas before so trying to preplan as much as possible and if anyone has any updates of advice it would be greatly appreciated

i am sailing on the miracle on the 4th and hoping to hear from carnival as to what their plans are so i can plan my time there. I have never been to cabo san lucas before so trying to preplan as much as possible and if anyone has any updates of advice it would be greatly appreciated

Join the roll call. We have all been posting what updates we can find there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

At this point in time, Cabo as all of us know it, doesn't exist and it won"t exist when you get there. The best you can hope for is compete with everyone else. Personally, I wouldn't want to port in Cabo before mid-November.

A stop in Mazatlan or three days in Puerto Vallarta would be best for your specific sailing.

I have also posted this on the regular Princess Board and our Roll Call.

Okay, so we received another letter about shore excursions for our October 1 cruise. I then picked up the phone and called Princess. I explained that I thought the letters were very insensitive to the problems concerning Cabo right now. We are NOT going to book at a "beach front luxury hotel with white sand beaches" at this point.:eek:

I asked the rep if I could speak with someone higher up the telephone chain. She completely understood my frustration and connected me with Customer Relations.

I explained my feelings once more and also requested that Princess please let us know what our itinerary will be. The rep said she would talk to Operations and find out why the letters had not been stopped. She also said management is working hard to figure out exactly what should be done with our cruise.

I did suggest 3 days in PV. :D

Cheers, Denise

It is rather foolish to try to pressure the cruise line into making a commitment so far ahead of your arrival to a port. Many of the problems they face at a port can and will be corrected within 24 hours of arrival. Relax and enjoy what the cruise line gives you !!!

It is rather foolish to try to pressure the cruise line into making a commitment so far ahead of your arrival to a port. Many of the problems they face at a port can and will be corrected within 24 hours of arrival. Relax and enjoy what the cruise line gives you !!!

I wasn't looking for a commitment. I just thought it was insensitive to send out excursion letters for excursions that are not possible.

We will relax and enjoy because we are taking this cruise to do just that. We have a balcony for the B2B and don't care where we go. But many other cruisers aren't so lucky to be able to do that.

Cheers, Denise

We talked it over and decided to cancel the excursion we booked. If we go to Cabo, we'll spend the first day seeing what's available and if things look good, we'll rebook then. Otherwise, we'll spend day 2 on our aft balcony enjoying cheers.

I'm still pulling for Mazatlan though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the Nov 8 sailing on the Miracle. Our biggest concern is how well they clean up. We were totally grossed out when we were there for a vacation when it rained. There was obvious sewage in the street near the condo we rented in the Marina. All kinds of nasty stuff could be breeding there.:eek:

According to Holland America ..As of 9am today. its a GO for Cabo , so the situation looks as if its improving daily...and their expected cruise stop on 10/3 is on....

Strange, as Princess will skip Cabo and dock in Puerto Vallarta tomorrow. I really doubt about the infrastructure. I read many hotels are closed for about 2 months for renovations.

Strange, as Princess will skip Cabo and dock in Puerto Vallarta tomorrow. I really doubt about the infrastructure. I read many hotels are closed for about 2 months for renovations.

It certainly is strange with so many conflicting reports..Thats why I called HAL this am as I wished to have some definitive news.

As I understand it, Princess Line was due there this week-end... I suppose a further week before HAL's first ship may be the deciding factor.

I am still a little sceptical about things but we will see!!

According to Holland America ..As of 9am today. its a GO for Cabo , so the situation looks as if its improving daily...and their expected cruise stop on 10/3 is on....

Just a bit of a warning -- In my experience Holland America doesn't share much with their front line staff. We've found out about itinerary changes via email (if the decision is made before we board) or via PA system announcement if the change is made after we board.

This was the tender pier after the storm, I have not seen any updated photos:

I live in Cabo during the winter months so I'm getting more inside information on Face Book than you'll get from the media. Everyone is cooperating with each other to get things back to normal as quickly as possible. Most of downtown Cabo now has running water and power. There has been extensive clean up Many of the bars and restaurants along the Marina have re-opened, some with limited menus, and my favorite sports bar, Mango Cantina Marina is even advertising come watch Sunday football with us. Cabo did not get as much damage as San Jose Del Cabo. The real damage were on the homes and businesses that line the four lane between SJ and Cabo, there was nothing to block those winds.

This was the tender pier after the storm, I have not seen any updated photos:

I live in Cabo during the winter months so I'm getting more inside information on Face Book than you'll get from the media. Everyone is cooperating with each other to get things back to normal as quickly as possible. Most of downtown Cabo now has running water and power. There has been extensive clean up Many of the bars and restaurants along the Marina have re-opened, some with limited menus, and my favorite sports bar, Mango Cantina Marina is even advertising come watch Sunday football with us. Cabo did not get as much damage as San Jose Del Cabo. The real damage were on the homes and businesses that line the four lane between SJ and Cabo, there was nothing to block those winds.

Thanks for the update.

Believe me, we are cheering them on but Mexico is still a 3rd world country in many ways. Even in LA it took 6 months to recover completely after the earthquake in 1994.

I understand what you're saying, but Mexico is not a "3rd world country in many ways." Their infrastructure isn't what you are accustomed to, but it is no where near a true 3rd world country. There is a difference, and I am just pointing it out.

I understand what you're saying, but Mexico is not a "3rd world country in many ways." Their infrastructure isn't what you are accustomed to, but it is no where near a true 3rd world country. There is a difference, and I am just pointing it out.

I will agree with you it is not a third world country but having been in Cabo during and after a tropical storm I have issues with the sewage system. It was gross going out after the storm blew through trying to avoid puddles with sewage. What are they doing to ameliorate problems which may be created by massive sewage leaks left over from the storm? We were renting a condo right on the Marina. The sewage in question was on the streets near the restaurants in the Marina. I hope for the residents of Cabo all is well soon. This being said, if we skip Cabo on my upcoming cruise it will not break my heart. It is not our favorite port. I know many people love Cabo but to us it is too commercial. We prefer ports like La Paz, Loreto, Mazatlan. We have had some good times in Cabo both on land vacations and cruise vacations however we have also seen Americans at their ugliest in Cabo. Not to say we have not seen the same in Europe.

Edited by tootsiescurly

(12:47 p.m. EDT) -- Hurricane Odile -- a category-three storm that slammed into the Mexican Peninsula on September 14, causing significant damage to Cabo San Lucas -- continues to affect cruise ship itineraries.

Norwegian Cruise Line is the latest to make changes. Norwegian Jewel will skip Cabo this week, instead calling in Mazatlan on Sunday, September 28 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and Puerto Vallarta on Monday, September 29 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).

Last week, Princess Cruises canceled Coral Princess' Cabo port of call scheduled for Friday, September 26. The ship will visit Puerto Vallarta instead.

Carnival and Holland America are also scheduled to call in the port within the next two weeks. Both lines are assessing the damage.

Odile tied the record (with 1967 Hurricane Olivia) for the strongest hurricane to make landfall in Baja California Sur, according to AccuWeather. Wind gusts were reported as high as 125 miles per hour.

(12:47 p.m. EDT) -- Hurricane Odile -- a category-three storm that slammed into the Mexican Peninsula on September 14, causing significant damage to Cabo San Lucas -- continues to affect cruise ship itineraries.

Norwegian Cruise Line is the latest to make changes. Norwegian Jewel will skip Cabo this week, instead calling in Mazatlan on Sunday, September 28 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and Puerto Vallarta on Monday, September 29 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).

Last week, Princess Cruises canceled Coral Princess' Cabo port of call scheduled for Friday, September 26. The ship will visit Puerto Vallarta instead.

Carnival and Holland America are also scheduled to call in the port within the next two weeks. Both lines are assessing the damage.

Odile tied the record (with 1967 Hurricane Olivia) for the strongest hurricane to make landfall in Baja California Sur, according to AccuWeather. Wind gusts were reported as high as 125 miles per hour.

Thanks so much for the update.