Dress code

Lemailu

We have been cruising on Oceania but think about cruising on Silver Spirit next year. However I have read somewhere that tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for ladies are required during two evenings each cruise.

I would like to know whether this is true because although we dress nicely each evening and my husband doesn't mind to wear a jacket and a tie, he will not wear a tuxedo and I wonder what "cocktail dress" actually means.

Once on a French boat I saw ladies one evening who were dressed up as if they were performing for Dallas or Dynasty. Not my cup of tea.

So please let me know --- my TA says we are only expected to be elegant.

There are dress code topics on here but briefly, a jacket and tie are needed in the Bar and Main Dining Room on formal (as you rightly say, two) nights. You are OK in the Terrazza or on the pool deck dressed less formally. I am sure an elegantly dressed Belgian lady will be suitably attired for a formal night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending on the length of your cruise you will likely have one or two formal nights, on voyages less than 14 days.

On formal nights the recommended attire would be something like an evening gown or cocktail dress or something else fancy such as fancy skirt and top and for men tuxedo, dinner jacket or suit with tie.

However, if this is something that you do not prefer try to make reservations at the La Terrazza Specialty Restaurant where guests can wear elegant attire (dresses or trouser suits for women) (sports jacket, with dress slacks, tie optional for men).

Another option is to have a course by course dinner in your room.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Our last cruise was actually two 9-day cruises we took back-to-back and there were only two formal nights out of the 18 nights. For the first time in our 20-year cruising life I decided not to haul my tux all that way for two nights. Did take a black suit and that worked for formal and a few other nights. Going back next year for a 16-day cruise with again only two formal nights and plan to do the same.