Loop Holes in Early Saver

bender031177

My experience was this. Originally BFF booked me as a 3rd person in her cabin, about 2 months later I thought better of it and booked my own. Noticed a $100 difference recently during the 72hr sale. Called carnival out of curiosity to see what rate I was booked under since it was no where listed on cruise details. Carnival rep was helpful and stated that even though the rate I booked my room under was NOT ES, the rate that BFF originally booked under was, and that because of that I could get the price drop but I would lose the room selection. I was ok with that and accepted the price drop. She then assured me (without my even asking) that because I was originally booked under an ES that I would still be eligible for any additional drops. BFF called her PVP (a different person) and was given the price drop as well.

I thanked her for her help and asked her again if that meant I would still be eligible for future price drops and she said yes.

I agree that rules are rules and if the policies are set they should not be overruled for a customer who feels entitled. In my case I had called just out of curiosity on what my rate was and they practically threw me $100. (It was an inside deck R Midship so it's not like it's a premium room). My only thoughts about any of this are that Carnival should have their reps trained better on the rules and limitations of their own policies. Perhaps not changing the name of the promo every week with basically the same pricing would help. I haven't seen anything lower since the 72 hour sale and am very happy with the rate I got. It's not as low as a solo supplement waiver would be, but is pretty darn close.

Now if another price drop occurs and I call and am told I cannot get the adjustment, then I will have a complaint. At that point it becomes an issue of Carnival not knowing/enforcing it's own policies. And that is not my fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My issue, again, is that ES was sold to me by making me believe that I would be guaranteed the best deal. To me saving 1/3 the price of a balcony room at the expense of choosing my own room is a better deal.

This here is the issue. For some ES is the best deal (getting your own preferred cabin, price drops until 2 days prior to sailing) and to others a GTY is the best deal, price wise. They are TWO different things and cannot be combined to your convenience.

I have many clients wanting to book ES and I ALWAYS explain exactly what the repercussions are of this rate. For some it works out great (I've had people sail with $1600 OBC), for others who are not flexible - not so much.

My point is - you are saying ES has been "sold" to you. Please take this as a lesson learned and next time do extensive research before you commit to anything that has restricstions/penalties.

My experience was this. Originally BFF booked me as a 3rd person in her cabin, about 2 months later I thought better of it and booked my own. Noticed a $100 difference recently during the 72hr sale. Called carnival out of curiosity to see what rate I was booked under since it was no where listed on cruise details. Carnival rep was helpful and stated that even though the rate I booked my room under was NOT ES, the rate that BFF originally booked under was, and that because of that I could get the price drop but I would lose the room selection. I was ok with that and accepted the price drop. She then assured me (without my even asking) that because I was originally booked under an ES that I would still be eligible for any additional drops. BFF called her PVP (a different person) and was given the price drop as well.

I thanked her for her help and asked her again if that meant I would still be eligible for future price drops and she said yes.

I agree that rules are rules and if the policies are set they should not be overruled for a customer who feels entitled. In my case I had called just out of curiosity on what my rate was and they practically threw me $100. (It was an inside deck R Midship so it's not like it's a premium room). My only thoughts about any of this are that Carnival should have their reps trained better on the rules and limitations of their own policies. Perhaps not changing the name of the promo every week with basically the same pricing would help. I haven't seen anything lower since the 72 hour sale and am very happy with the rate I got. It's not as low as a solo supplement waiver would be, but is pretty darn close.

Now if another price drop occurs and I call and am told I cannot get the adjustment, then I will have a complaint. At that point it becomes an issue of Carnival not knowing/enforcing it's own policies. And that is not my fault.

I don't see how you could possibly be eligible for future price drops on a guarantee rate. The cabin category (not type) has to match with available open cabins yet to be sold in order to price match for a reduction. I never heard of someone getting price drops on a guarantee rate.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I don't see how you could possibly be eligible for future price drops on a guarantee rate. The cabin category (not type) has to match with available open cabins yet to be sold in order to price match for a reduction. I never heard of someone getting price drops on a guarantee rate.

I happen to agree, but since I was told more than once, BFF as well from another Carnival rep, if I spot a lower rate I will be making a call. Again, my point is that I should have never been told that in the fist place if it weren't true. I didn't even push for the benefit of future price drop eligibility. It was presented to me.

In all reality the only better rate I could possibly incur would be a single supplement waiver which would probably be no more than $50. If that happens to appear I will be making a call to discuss my situation, but am not gonna throw a temper tantrum about it if they won't oblige. (But I will make the argument that it was presented to me)

Not sure why it seems to be difficult for Carnival to enforce their pricing policies across the board. Seems like on many subjects, you will get a different answer for as many times as you inquire.

It seems something is being overlooked here. When you book (cruise, airline, hotel, rental car, etc) you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of a written contract that you have the opportunity to review. If you voluntarily fail to actually review the contract that is your fault and not the fault of the carrier.

Most, if not all, contracts contain wording that states the written contract is the final agreement and any statement by agents or employees can not modify the written contract. Even if that wording is not in the contract it is a long standing legal concept that a written contract can only be modified in a written manner and not verbally.

So, regardless of what the employee/agent has said, the contract is the binding agreement. A person is wrong to demand the company adhere to verbal statements made by an employee unless they have those statement in a written format like an email or text.

Having said that, Carnival could do a little more agent training. I spoke to a Carnival agent a couple of days ago who didn't even know what Faster To The Fun (FTTF) was.

Just my opinion and thoughts.

Edited by travler27

I agree

I would take the lower rate and a different cabin, big deal. Its not like they will stick you in the engine room..:p

no but you could get a cabin with a very noisy issue. (that cabin is not worth any savings at all

I'm curious. Why is every jumping the OP for a problem of Carnival's making.

They offer ES with a price guarantee to get bookings well in advance. Both to help keep rates up and to collect deposits well in advance of sailing.

Then Carnival turns around and offers numerous low rates closer to actual sailing, but they make sure to tweak the rates just enough so that people on an ES rate won't qualify for price protection.

This isn't the fault of the OP or anyone else, it is Carnival. They knew exactly what they were doing. They are advertising ES with price protection, sticking some loop holes in it and then making sure all the lower rates later on qualify for the loop holes. It may be legal, but it definitely isn't ethical or even smart business.

An angry customer is always louder and talks for far longer than a happy one. I'm not going to sit here and say that this is the death of ES, but it certainly isn't helping the program or Carnival's image. For every person on here complaining about ES, there are probably ten more complaining to their friends.

The whole point of Early Saver is to lock people in, get their deposits early, make them non-refundable and get cabins booked at higher rates when the cruise is first released. But instead, Carnival seems to want their cake and eat it too. They want people to book ES under the promise of price protection, but they don't want to actually give back the money when they have to drop rates to fill the ship. So they instead only advertise guarantee rates and claim price protection no longer applies.

It seems something is being overlooked here. When you book (cruise, airline, hotel, rental car, etc) you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of a written contract that you have the opportunity to review. If you voluntarily fail to actually review the contract that is your fault and not the fault of the carrier.

Most, if not all, contracts contain wording that states the written contract is the final agreement and any statement by agents or employees can not modify the written contract. Even if that wording is not in the contract it is a long standing legal concept that a written contract can only be modified in a written manner and not verbally.

So, regardless of what the employee/agent has said, the contract is the binding agreement. A person is wrong to demand the company adhere to verbal statements made by an employee unless they have those statement in a written format like an email or text.

Having said that, Carnival could do a little more agent training. I spoke to a Carnival agent a couple of days ago who didn't even know what Faster To The Fun (FTTF) was.

Just my opinion and thoughts.

I completely agree with this.

An additional thought...someone that KNOWS what the fare stipulations are, calls for one reason for another and receives information they KNOW is false and attempts to hold the company to that...is taking advantage of the situation.

"I know what stipulations my rate has, but because I spoke with a poorly trained individual that unintentionally gave me incorrect information, I'm going to demand compensation for price drops that I'm not entitled to."

I mean......really?

Edited by queenerin

I'm curious. Why is every jumping the OP for a problem of Carnival's making.

They offer ES with a price guarantee to get bookings well in advance. Both to help keep rates up and to collect deposits well in advance of sailing.

Then Carnival turns around and offers numerous low rates closer to actual sailing, but they make sure to tweak the rates just enough so that people on an ES rate won't qualify for price protection.

This isn't the fault of the OP or anyone else, it is Carnival. They knew exactly what they were doing. They are advertising ES with price protection, sticking some loop holes in it and then making sure all the lower rates later on qualify for the loop holes. It may be legal, but it definitely isn't ethical or even smart business.

An angry customer is always louder and talks for far longer than a happy one. I'm not going to sit here and say that this is the death of ES, but it certainly isn't helping the program or Carnival's image. For every person on here complaining about ES, there are probably ten more complaining to their friends.

The whole point of Early Saver is to lock people in, get their deposits early, make them non-refundable and get cabins booked at higher rates when the cruise is first released. But instead, Carnival seems to want their cake and eat it too. They want people to book ES under the promise of price protection, but they don't want to actually give back the money when they have to drop rates to fill the ship. So they instead only advertise guarantee rates and claim price protection no longer applies.

Did you not read my post (#32)? Because what you state is incorrect. I just got a price reduction today. Additionally, I received two price reductions on a cruise I recently returned from.

I completely agree with this.

An additional thought...someone that KNOWS what the fare stipulations are, calls for one reason for another and receives information they KNOW is false and attempts to hold the company to that...is taking advantage of the situation.

"I know what stipulations my rate has, but because I spoke with a poorly trained individual that unintentionally gave me incorrect information, I'm going to demand compensation for price drops that I'm not entitled to."

I mean......really?

Why should the customer be expected to have better knowledge of the program than Carnival's own employees?

Someone saw the advertisement, guaranteed price protection, and wanted to take advantage of what they had bought. If the average Carnival employee doesn't have a clue of how it works, why should the average Carnival customer?

I'm reminded of the Triumph Fire,

Carnival's court filing says the "ticket contract makes absolutely no guarantee for safe passage, a seaworthy vessel, adequate and wholesome food, and sanitary and safe living conditions." Since the Triumph fire, Carnival says it has instituted a 110% money-back "Great Vacation Guarantee" on its cruises.

That should have been front page news. That completely goes against the grain of a cruise and cruise contract. Carnival really believes and wants us to believe that our cruise is fraught with danger at every turn, the food may be bad and the ship completely unsanitary? Of course not, no one would book a cruise if they really believed that to be the case. The same here, no one would book ES if they knew that Carnival was going to use every trick they could find to avoid honoring the price protection guarantee.

Did you not read my post (#32)? Because what you state is incorrect. I just got a price reduction today. Additionally, I received two price reductions on a cruise I recently returned from.

So the question is becoming, are those the exception or are rates for guaranteed category the exception?

Why should the customer be expected to have better knowledge of the program than Carnival's own employees?

Someone saw the advertisement, guaranteed price protection, and wanted to take advantage of what they had bought. If the average Carnival employee doesn't have a clue of how it works, why should the average Carnival customer?

I'm reminded of the Triumph Fire,

Carnival's court filing says the "ticket contract makes absolutely no guarantee for safe passage, a seaworthy vessel, adequate and wholesome food, and sanitary and safe living conditions." Since the Triumph fire, Carnival says it has instituted a 110% money-back "Great Vacation Guarantee" on its cruises.

That should have been front page news. That completely goes against the grain of a cruise and cruise contract. Carnival really believes and wants us to believe that our cruise is fraught with danger at every turn, the food may be bad and the ship completely unsanitary? Of course not, no one would book a cruise if they really believed that to be the case. The same here, no one would book ES if they knew that Carnival was going to use every trick they could find to avoid honoring the price protection guarantee.

Precisely my point. Carnival needs to "tighten the ship" :-)

. . . An angry customer is always louder and talks for far longer than a happy one. I'm not going to sit here and say that this is the death of ES, but it certainly isn't helping the program or Carnival's image. For every person on here complaining about ES, there are probably ten more complaining to their friends.

Although defnintely not a "blanket fact" . . . there is a lot of truth within those words.

Although defnintely not a "blanket fact" . . . there is a lot of truth within those words.

Exactly. I'm not saying you'll never get an ES price match. But you'd have to be stupid to believe Carnival doesn't know what they are doing with all these guarantee rates. Just because marketing isn't telling customer service what is going on doesn't mean there isn't a plan.

I imagine Carnival will continue to play these rate games until they get rates where they want them or the feedback from customers becomes so negative they can no longer stomach it.

If the average Carnival employee doesn't have a clue of how it works, why should the average Carnival customer?

Complete bunk.

The average Carnival rep knows exactly how it works. There may be a few that don't.

You're getting one side of the story of a confused person. They may have been told what was written here, they may not have been. The Carnival rep may have explained ES with 100% accuracy only to have the customer not listen and or not completely grasp what was being said.

After dealing with Carnival and the posters on this board, I have much more faith in Carnival than the average yahoo on here. You need to be very selective on who you actually believe on CC as there are some very good posters but far more clueless posters.

Edited by fuddrules

Complete bunk.

The average Carnival rep knows exactly how it works. There may be a few that don't.

You're getting one side of the story of a confused person. They may have been told what was written here, they may not have been. The Carnival rep may have explained ES with 100% accuracy only to have the customer not listen and or not completely grasp what was being said.

After dealing with Carnival and the posters on this board, I have much more faith in Carnival than the average yahoo on here. You need to be very selective on who you actually believe on CC as there are some very good posters but far more clueless posters.

Who says I went by just the OP? I've read more than enough on here to see that the answer at Carnival really depends on who you get on the phone that day.

Quite frankly, that is the case at most companies. Carnival would be the exception if it wasn't. The front line employees at most companies are nice enough, but they really don't know much. It is only once you get a few layers up and start dealing with specialists, then they understand their area and how it works.

Complete bunk.

And an equal (if not greater) amount of very judgemental, CC veterans who seem to know it all and make a yahoo like me completely turned off to the value of this forum.

Happy sailing to you!

💗

A "clueless poster"

Edited by Sweetsforjay

I have booked ES 4 times and never had a price drop...until today. We booked a inside lido cabin on the Breeze (2/28/15) a couple months ago. I was not expecting any price drops due to there not being many lido cabins left.

In the past I have checked but our rate has never gone down, so I was not even really up to date on the terms and conditions. This morning when I checked, our price went down 400.00! Since I had never filled out a price drop claim I was a bit apprehensive. Then when I started reading through this post I was even more concerned that somehow it would mess up my cabin selection.

Carnival responded to my claim in less than an hour. We even got 50.00 OBC that I was not expecting. What an unexpected blessing. I am one very happy cruiser!