Using my own f.f. miles to Europe, which river boat company ??

petlover

petlover, just a word of caution about using a BA companion pass...

To use the companion pass, you must fly on a BA plane (as opposed to their alliance partners) and the taxes and fees will be outrageous. I just did a mock booking round-trip LAX-LHR June 2015 and the fees are $713 per person in addition to whatever number of points are required. Needless to say, you could almost purchase outright an economy ticket for what BA is collecting in fees on the award ticket.

It sounds counterintuitive but using Avios for an actual BA flight is almost never a good idea. The companion pass is tough to get rid of - I have one that is expiring soon as well.

petlover, just a word of caution about using a BA companion pass...

To use the companion pass, you must fly on a BA plane (as opposed to their alliance partners) and the taxes and fees will be outrageous. I just did a mock booking round-trip LAX-LHR June 2015 and the fees are $713 per person in addition to whatever number of points are required. Needless to say, you could almost purchase outright an economy ticket for what BA is collecting in fees on the award ticket.

It sounds counterintuitive but using Avios for an actual BA flight is almost never a good idea. The companion pass is tough to get rid of - I have one that is expiring soon as well.

The credit card website advice is to move your BA Avios to Iberia and book there. The same flight will cost you less. But I have been unable to move my Avios because apparently you have to activate the Iberia FF account by booking one flight directly with them. So they accumulate at BA ...

The credit card website advice is to move your BA Avios to Iberia and book there. The same flight will cost you less. But I have been unable to move my Avios because apparently you have to activate the Iberia FF account by booking one flight directly with them. So they accumulate at BA ...

You do not have to book a flight to activate the Iberia account. Buying 1000 (the smallest amount) of Avios points when logged into your Iberia Plus account will activate it. Or you can also transfer a small number of points from another loyalty program, like Amex. Your Iberia account also needs to have been open at least 90 days to transfer from BA.

Now all that said, there are some great award flights to be had from BA without transferring to Iberia. BA alliance partners such as Air Berlin, Aer Lingus, AA, etc. (all bookable online at BA executive club) do not charge the outrageous fees and surcharges that BA does for awards flights on its own planes.

But my point to the OP is that you have to fly an actual BA flight to use the companion pass and you will be fee'd to death, probably making the companion pass not worth it.

I was willing to pay the $1,100 in taxes and fees for our Companion Flies Free ticket in Bus. Class. Ticket cost is about $5,000 per person, so that's still a huge savings. The problem is availability. You pick up the phone within hours of the new seats being released and there is no availability for the entire month you want to travel. To me, that's a problem. :mad:

Iberia is not an option for us in our area. When I try to book on AA using BA points, only BA flights come up. I need to look at that again and see if I need to check a box or something that says "include other carriers" or similar. :confused:

When I try to book on AA using BA points, only BA flights come up. I need to look at that again and see if I need to check a box or something that says "include other carriers" or similar. :confused:

I didn't think you could use BA Avios on AA. BA owns Iberia, so they interchange points freely. AA is just a partner.

Sorry, should have been more clear. You can use avios (on the BA website) to book AA flights within the United States. I have flown three of them already this year!

Fantastic!! Never even did that before! I went to the site and once the US airports are put in on the Executive Club section, the US flights appear that you can book with Avios. Thank you so much for the information!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario