Advice Please

ab21au

We are wanting to do the Montreal Boston next year but must travel early September which means we are too early for the fall foliage. Is the cruise based around this and are we better off leaving it to the future to do when we can go later in the year. Unfortunately the alternative would not be SB, perhaps SS Alaska (but there seem to be many not very favorable reports about the Silver Shadow).

Anyone who has done this cruise early in the season, advise would be welcome.

Edited by ab21au

Not sure what you are asking. It is a bit early for foliage in Boston. We are just now seeing random trees starting to turn. If you are heading North you may get more color. Typically peak foliage time for Boston is in early October, around Columbus weekend.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not sure what you are asking. It is a bit early for foliage in Boston. We are just now seeing random trees starting to turn. If you are heading North you may get more color

What I meant was is the fall foliage the highlight of this cruise and therefore worth leaving till a time when we can get the best from it. And instead, do the Alaska cruise at this time (end of Aug early Sept). Looking forward to another SB cruise, unfortunately SB don't do Alaska :(

We did this cruise (Boston – Montreal) last year starting October 4.

The foliage was at different stages everywhere & I would not say it was the highlight anywhere.

I think timing it for peak foliage at every stop would be a challenge & not worth the effort.

We enjoyed the cruise.

We have just done the Montreal to Boston and started around the 1st Sept.

No you don't see the fall colours but the bonus, for us, was that we could have all meals outdoors if we wanted - yes, including dinner at sea.

It would be lovely to see the fall colours but the trip is not orientated on them and there is lots else to do - and we'd rather have the better weather, particularly when ashore in the day time.

Tony

We did this trip a few years back. Quebec and Halifax were the highlights, but it was an enjoyable trip. However we did the early October sailing (the earlier one was sold out). Fall colors were wonderful, but the weather was not. Indeed we hit the tail end of a hurricane in the St Lawreance Seaway, which of course could not be outrun or avoided. It was an interesting 24 hours...So I would definitely recommend an earlier cruise, and don't worry about the foliage.

Thanks for the replies, good to read those responses. We are very keen to do this cruise but just weren't sure about the fall bit and the timing.

tsavorite, must have been disappointing with the weather. I guess you can never predict it.

Thanks for the replies, good to read those responses. We are very keen to do this cruise but just weren't sure about the fall bit and the timing.

tsavorite, must have been disappointing with the weather. I guess you can never predict it.

We also were on the September 11th sailing. We saw a little of the fall colors north of Quebec City. Though I would have liked to see more color, the weather was delightful and the stops were still lovely. We went on Silver Shadow last winter from NEW Zealand to Sydney. We definitely prefer Seabourn to Silversea.

As mentioned the Fall Foliage is just an extra benefit of this cruise but there is so much to see and I would not put off a cruise just because of that. I've learned in life not to put off until tomorrow what you can do today and believe more and more in this with each passing year.

Without Fall Foliage you will see amazing scenery and lots of history.

I would go.

Keith

Good Day

I live in this area and I have spent many years living in Halifax. As mentioned from others, yes the full fall foilage doesnt occur during early september. The leaves are justing starting to change now although we are probably 2 weeks off before full fall colours. The advantage to an early sept sailing is that the weather is much more pleasant. Sept is always my favourite month. Enjoy.....

We are wanting to do the Montreal Boston next year but must travel early September which means we are too early for the fall foliage. Is the cruise based around this and are we better off leaving it to the future to do when we can go later in the year. Unfortunately the alternative would not be SB, perhaps SS Alaska (but there seem to be many not very favorable reports about the Silver Shadow).

Anyone who has done this cruise early in the season, advise would be welcome.

Ive cruised the SilverSea Shadow to Alaska. Lets just say that between the bad food, angry crew and missing an iconic spot it was near a waste of time.

My first 'real' cruise was to Alaska on the Crystal Symphony. Other than the money grubbiness of the Crystal employees the last few days (hopefully solved with their all inclusive program) they 'beat' SilverSea six ways to Monday (day to day the staff was nicer and the food FAR better). Crystal got into Glacier bay (imo - this is THE must see in Alaska). Further Crystal also went into Skagway which is a great stop (especially for those into railroads/trade/multi country relations).

Ive cruised the SilverSea Shadow to Alaska. Lets just say that between the bad food, angry crew and missing an iconic spot it was near a waste of time

I have read several reports with similar sentiments. We have now decided on the SB cruise. It was a toss up anyway which one we would do next year but all the positive comments here has helped make our decision. We really did want to do the SB Canada New England. Thanks again to all.

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from Quest's Montreal-Boston sailing (Sept. 21-30); the colors had just turned outside Quebec city and were lovely but really hit their glory in Maine.

Fall colors are beautiful but the St. Lawrence seaway has many other attractions and wonderful stops and sights. Some areas are mostly French- (or Quebecquois-) speaking although everyone is bilingual; it adds to the Canadian charm. Several highlights, for me, were Montmorency Falls near Quebec city, a horse-drawn trolley tour of Charlottetown, P.E. and the cemetery in Halifax where over 200 souls who drowned in the sinking of Titanic are buried. The guides were all especially knowledgeable.

So my advice is : go on this cruise and if the trees are wearing red, yellow and orange as well as green, that's a bonus.

FYI: The main dining room was open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner and we had but one sea day.

Edited by Winner
additioal information

I think you will really enjoy another "British colony", although I worry about Aussies and Quebecquois communicating! Have a marvelous time and eat lots of lobster and mussels for me.

Edited by Winner

Winnie

Ohhh I'm starving for those foods! Just nibbled on a homemade cinnamon rollcoffee.

I enjoyed Newfoundland so much ~then coming on down the Coast.

Happy you had such a grand time! Seabourn always makes our sailings so special!

Are you sure you can not come on our Legend TA? Come be my room mate ~I'm on the 5th deck and close to the "Lobby" ~What Mother called it ~and The Welcoming Desk!

Capt. Andy Pedder will be "drivin'~~"

MB

Winnie

Ohhh I'm starving for those foods! Just nibbled on a homemade cinnamon rollcoffee.

I enjoyed Newfoundland so much ~then coming on down the Coast.

Happy you had such a grand time! Seabourn always makes our sailings so special!

Are you sure you can not come on our Legend TA? Come be my room mate ~I'm on the 5th deck and close to the "Lobby" ~What Mother called it ~and The Welcoming Desk!

Capt. Andy Pedder will be "drivin'~~"

MB

join you, Martha--we had such wonderful TAs on the little girls. I'm thinking of Spirit for her final next March. Would you do it?

Winnie

For those who want to know about the peak foliage color, it is this week in the Boston area, about a week later than usual, I think. It will still be colorful next week as well. No SB cruises to New England at this time, unfortunately.

Does the Quest now continue to FL and not stop at Boston.

I was mistaken about SB cruises not timed to fall color. It's always iffy, but 3 Quest sailings have possibilities: Sept. 21 Montreal to Boston, Oct. 1 Boston to Montreal (best chance, in my opinion) and Oct. 11 Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale, without stop in Boston, but including Bar Harbor and Salem. Hope this answers your question.

join you, Martha--we had such wonderful TAs on the little girls. I'm thinking of Spirit for her final next March. Would you do it?

Winnie

I'm going to sound incredibly stupid but could I ask what TA stands for? (I thought it was Travel Agent!) I have tried to work it out but my bird brain won't let me! :D

I'm so upset....(and "stupid") I can not set my font, size or color!!

Can anyone help me?

Ohhh T A stands for Transatlantic ~as in TA Crossings ~we just refer to the voyage as a TA ~~akin to HotMan -Hotel Manager.

Happy sailings ~

Martita B