Beaches/Beach Clubs in Grand Cayman?

tbag124

I have researched and researched and read and read - are there any beaches in Grand Cayman similiar to Paradise Beach or Nachi Cocum in Cozumel in that they offer free beach chairs/umbrellas, reasonalbly priced water toys, and possibly an "all inclusive drink package"? I swear, I think I've read everything I can find and it seems like the "main" thing to do in Grand Cayman is swim w/ the stingrays...which I'm not sure I wanna do!! :o We have been thinking that we would do the Hideaway Power Boat Escape in Cozumel, so we wanted to make Grand Cayman a really nice beach day.... Any help or advice on this is greatly appreciated. I am so confused right now!! Thanks!! :)

I'd love a good answer to this too. It appears most everything is on 7 Mile Beach and although it is a lublic beach, most of the hotels along it have bars and there are rental places along the way. Don't know about the chairs - we have a Marriott account so I am planning on calling them ahead of time to see if they will let us use lounge chairs there.

At the Royal Palm Hotel on 7 mile beach, the lounge chairs are free. However, there is NO shade on the beach there and there are some rocks. There are umbrellas shading the tables at the hotel's outdoor restaurant looking out over the beach. We sat at a table there for about an hour and had a beer each, and no one asked us to move. No water toys for free. I suggest you take the Nativeway stingray tour first and then have them drop you at a beach. Don't be afraid of the stingrays: it's really a fascinating excursion and Nativeway really treats you right. I've been to several beach clubs in Coz and can tell you that you won't find that type of beach in Grand Cayman.

At the Royal Palm Hotel on 7 mile beach, the lounge chairs are free. However, there is NO shade on the beach there and there are some rocks. There are umbrellas shading the tables at the hotel's outdoor restaurant looking out over the beach. We sat at a table there for about an hour and had a beer each, and no one asked us to move. No water toys for free. I suggest you take the Nativeway stingray tour first and then have them drop you at a beach. Don't be afraid of the stingrays: it's really a fascinating excursion and Nativeway really treats you right. I've been to several beach clubs in Coz and can tell you that you won't find that type of beach in Grand Cayman.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the info! Now that I know we won't find something like that in Grand Cayman, we will make other arrangments!! I dont know what yet....I'm TRYING to not be afraid of them, since everyone raves about this excursion...I'm just not a big fan of creatures!! :eek: I know I sound like a baby! I'm sure it would be fun once I'm there! Thanks for the suggestions!! :)

We're going there for a week in January, and Rum Point is high on our list. As for beaches, they are all public. The place we are staying doesn't "rent" chairs to cruiseship passengers, but most of the larger hotels do. I've read where some people have been able to just use the chairs, and have had no hassles. I would imagine with more and more cruisehips in port, they will moniter how many passes they sell (they want to make sure the paying guests have a place to sit). :)

I think the swimming with the stingrays was the neatest thing I have ever done. Even if you are squeamish, I'd at least try it once.

As for water toys, there's a company called Red Sail, and they rent out waverunners, boats, snorkel equipment, and things like that. They aren't cheap. In fact, nothing is cheap in GC, but IMO, it's paradise on earth. We loved it so much, we are going back (and taking our family with us). :)

Have a great time!!

You could also check out ... For some reason I can't post that website. There are lots of coupons, but there are lots and lots of pictures and island information, which will help you make the most of your short time on the island.

Think the reason is they were spamming cruise critic trying to troll up business...

Think the reason is they were spamming cruise critic trying to troll up business...

I see. That's too bad. They do have a lot of valuable information there, but you have to realize the people they support are their sponsors (which is understandable). I found the trip reports and pictures to be what really helped me when we were looking for a place to stay.

I appreciate the info. I found the place one day, and enjoyed reading there. I had no clue what was going on...as usual. :)

And the coupons are still good. :D But they were really annoying when posting. Never answered any questions - just posted links to their site.

I can see why that would be annoying...and not real helpful to those who are on these boards looking for answers. If we all were "diverted" away from here, then what help would we be to each other?

For a nice beach day in GC, call one or more of the hotels and see if they will let you book a day room. We've done that. You get off the ship and go to the hotel, check in and have a hotel room to change, rest and shower in. Then you have use of the hotel's facilities which for us included chaise lounges, umbrellas, towels and food and beverage service. It made for a great beach day. Westin charged $127 2 years ago - for us it was well worth the money to know that we had everything we wanted plus didn't have to go back to the ship in wet sandy suits.

For a nice beach day in GC, call one or more of the hotels and see if they will let you book a day room. We've done that. You get off the ship and go to the hotel, check in and have a hotel room to change, rest and shower in. Then you have use of the hotel's facilities which for us included chaise lounges, umbrellas, towels and food and beverage service. It made for a great beach day. Westin charged $127 2 years ago - for us it was well worth the money to know that we had everything we wanted plus didn't have to go back to the ship in wet sandy suits.

That's a great idea! I'd do that the next time we are in Cayman (on a ship). :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have researched and researched and read and read - are there any beaches in Grand Cayman similiar to Paradise Beach or Nachi Cocum in Cozumel in that they offer free beach chairs/umbrellas, reasonalbly priced water toys, and possibly an "all inclusive drink package"? I swear, I think I've read everything I can find and it seems like the "main" thing to do in Grand Cayman is swim w/ the stingrays...which I'm not sure I wanna do!! :o We have been thinking that we would do the Hideaway Power Boat Escape in Cozumel, so we wanted to make Grand Cayman a really nice beach day.... Any help or advice on this is greatly appreciated. I am so confused right now!! Thanks!! :)

I have been to Cayman 5 times and have read every website I can find and have yet to come up with any of the deals like Nachi Cocom in Cozumel or Sunset Beach in Jamaica. I too would like to know if any exists!

I have been to Cayman 5 times and have read every website I can find and have yet to come up with any of the deals like Nachi Cocom in Cozumel or Sunset Beach in Jamaica. I too would like to know if any exists!

After getting a lot of advice on here and a lot of researching, I think the answer is that they don't really exist! :) And if they do, there's not a lot of value there. We have decided not to do the Power Boat excursion this time in Cozumel. We are booked for the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point Tour w/ Nativeway in Grand Cayman, as everyone says this is a must do. And then we are going to just have our beach day in Cozumel. I think we are gonna head to Paradise Beach, as everyone raves about it and it looks like we'd really like it. I know there's no all inclusive there, but we are in port from 11am-11pm and by the time we get there, I dont think we'll really need an all-inclusive. :)

We did Paradise Beach on the Glory last April. It's very nice (restrooms are very clean!)and the menu for drinks and food is extensive and very reasonable. We were the first ones there around 9ish and didn't leave until around 2 or so. Our entire bill was under $50 for water, drinks, lunch and tip. We didn't even had to move out of our chairs since someone took your order right on the beach but there is a very nice restaurant upstairs. You will find Paradise Beach very busy by the time you get there after 11 but don't worry...many people leave between noon and 1 to do back to their cruise ship for lunch. We thought we would too but were having such a nice time, decided to stay...there is a great dock area that is shaded and there are some chairs that you can use. We went there after lunch since we were pretty sunned out! You may want to wait until after 12:30 or so before you go there but it's up to you depending on how many cruise ships are in port. The day we were there it was packed with cruise ship folks!

Enjoy!

Mary

We did Paradise Beach on the Glory last April. It's very nice (restrooms are very clean!)and the menu for drinks and food is extensive and very reasonable. We were the first ones there around 9ish and didn't leave until around 2 or so. Our entire bill was under $50 for water, drinks, lunch and tip. We didn't even had to move out of our chairs since someone took your order right on the beach but there is a very nice restaurant upstairs. You will find Paradise Beach very busy by the time you get there after 11 but don't worry...many people leave between noon and 1 to do back to their cruise ship for lunch. We thought we would too but were having such a nice time, decided to stay...there is a great dock area that is shaded and there are some chairs that you can use. We went there after lunch since we were pretty sunned out! You may want to wait until after 12:30 or so before you go there but it's up to you depending on how many cruise ships are in port. The day we were there it was packed with cruise ship folks!

Thanks!! There ARE a lot of ships in port w/ us...I think we are one of 8 or 9?! :eek: So I figured we would take our time getting off the ship, have lunch on the ship, and then head over til Paradise Beach and hang out there til they close. Thanks, I can't wait!! :)

Sorry for the dealy, things ahve been really hectic here. I called the Westin directly - I tried the "800" number but was told they can't book day rooms. Anyway, I booked directly. We got off the ship, cabbed to the Westin and checked in just like a typical hotel stay and then enjoyed the day at the beach using the hotel's lounge chairs, towels and had lunch at the cafe by the pool. It was a terrific day.

BTW, I'm a Buckeye too (OSU class of '71).

Thanks!! There ARE a lot of ships in port w/ us...I think we are one of 8 or 9?! :eek: So I figured we would take our time getting off the ship, have lunch on the ship, and then head over til Paradise Beach and hang out there til they close. Thanks, I can't wait!! :)

I don't recommend doing that based upon our experience with only 3 cruise ships in port. We had lunch and got to PB around 2-2:30. It was packed. Every chair with umbrella was taken. Only a few chairs in the far left corner of the beach were available in the baking sun. We surely would have enjoyed our visit a lot more if it had been less crowded and were able to get an umbrella.

Rum Point in Grand Cayman is a completely different beach from PB. Rum Point is quiet and mostly shaded there are perhaps only 30 chairs but no one was there. PB has perhaps 400 chairs and you can listen to music from the beach (hip hop on my day, not my preference). Rum Point is sandy with shallow entrance into the water - - no water toys. PB is sandy but has rocks as you enter the water (except for small area on right side of beach). PB has lots of water toys and the water gets deeper earlier than Rum Point. Both beaches can be considered great or not depending upon what you like and dislike. Enjoy your trip.

I don't recommend doing that based upon our experience with only 3 cruise ships in port. We had lunch and got to PB around 2-2:30. It was packed. Every chair with umbrella was taken. Only a few chairs in the far left corner of the beach were available in the baking sun. We surely would have enjoyed our visit a lot more if it had been less crowded and were able to get an umbrella.

Rum Point in Grand Cayman is a completely different beach from PB. Rum Point is quiet and mostly shaded there are perhaps only 30 chairs but no one was there. PB has perhaps 400 chairs and you can listen to music from the beach (hip hop on my day, not my preference). Rum Point is sandy with shallow entrance into the water - - no water toys. PB is sandy but has rocks as you enter the water (except for small area on right side of beach). PB has lots of water toys and the water gets deeper earlier than Rum Point. Both beaches can be considered great or not depending upon what you like and dislike. Enjoy your trip.

I'm definitely hearing conflicting reports. Some ppl say that at 1pm, the beach starts to clear out. Regardless, we will probably head over around 11:30ish or so...Also conflicting reports about the rocks in the water. Read a review today that said it's not bad at all...hmmm....as long as we can get 2 chairs, an umbrella and some drinks, we'll be happy...like you said, some things can be considered great and some things not, depending upon what you like and dislike.

Thanks GBC! You wouldn't happen to have the number that you called to book the Westin would you? Does it matter what time you check in? Just curious since some hotels have 4p.m. check-in. How's the beach....is it shallow for a long ways out...any umbrellas for the chairs .... sorry for all the questions..we leave in 8 days!

My BF is also an Ohio State alumni! Class of 1980! His son just graduated this summer! We have a busy week coming up! His son is getting married Sat. So we have rehearsal Friday, wedding Sat., leave for Valor on Sunday! And we also have "Survivor" on Thursday! And of course....we have the OHIO STATE BUCKEYES beating Texas tonight!....can't miss that! I'm running out of time to get my plans together.

Sea Ya,

Cruzn

Oh and .......GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived