Room Arrangement Preference No Longer an Option!!

karen s

I've had my request for the beds separated for a couple years and they have been together for all my cruises except 1. I just request it when I meet our cabin steward. No biggie.

I don't know why anyone would think they would do things right in the first place. :rolleyes::p As far as the boarding process, we will see how that will go. Might be years before they get it right. Will never stop me from cruising though. ;)

Gwen :)

Even when we have requested beds apart, they have been together. On some of our recent cruises, a check-list was on the bed for the cabin steward and separating beds was an option.

A few additional dollars - and you can have any bed configuration, and not to worry about making the steward work.

As for 10' check-in: good luck with that! I don't even have an eye-pad and don't plan on getting one. Too much personal info in the cyber-space already!

Why would you need an iPad?

With regard to the boarding procedure, what happens if you show up after your check-in time, say because a flight that was due into Miami or Orlando was late?

By the same token, what happens if you don't take a picture at home?

I noticed on the Freedom that they now take the photo for the SeaPass at check-in, rather when boarding the ship. Apparently, my photo didn't turn out well, because they had to retake it at boarding.

With regard to the boarding procedure, what happens if you show up after your check-in time, say because a flight that was due into Miami or Orlando was late?

By the same token, what happens if you don't take a picture at home?

I noticed on the Freedom that they now take the photo for the SeaPass at check-in, rather when boarding the ship. Apparently, my photo didn't turn out well, because they had to retake it at boarding.

If you don't show up at least 90 minutes before scheduled departure, you can be denied boarding.

Edited by clarea

They took our picture at check-in too, on the Explorer last month. Like it better that way. One less step in the boarding process.

Gwen :)

The only time I've ever confirmed that the room stewards actually paid attention was one time when the steward looked at that I'm 14 years older than my partner and decided that the "together" arrangement must be wrong. We asked him to fix it, gave him five bucks to assure him we weren't mad, and collapsed into laughter once he was out of the room and down the hall.

I'm sorry......I'm probably the only one that doesn't get this statement.

I'm 14 years younger than my DH and no one considers anything is off...of course he looks great for his age. But 14 years isn't that many years to where people assume you wouldn't be a couple unless you are 14/28.

I'm missing something....I think.

If you don't show up at least 90 minutes before scheduled departure, you can be denied boarding.

I know that. That goes without saying. I was curious as to what happens, if you tell RC that you will arrive at the cruise terminal at 11:30, and you show up at 2:00, three hours before a 5:00 departure?

If a wave of thunderstorms goes through Orlando, causing a couple hundred people to arrive at the cruise terminal in Port Canaveral late (but still more than 90 minutes before departure), will that foul up the check-in and boarding procedure?

We were on Freedom in May and there was a card on the bed that allowed us to check a block telling the cabin steward what was needed, such as separate the beds, make up the sofa bed, etc. I thought that was a great idea. It means you don't have to wait around for the cabin attendant to show up so you can make your request. There was another card on the bed as well but I can't remember what it was for. I believe it may have been to request ice.

If this changeis to facilitate a fast check in to cabin time perhaps it means that the cabins would be OPEN at boarding like Princess does; no one likes to schlep bags to the Windjammer for lunch. If it makes the attendants life less work on turnaround morning and gets guests into room at boarding time I am all for the change.

I took my grown son on a cruise for part of his college graduation gift, and I had requested beds apart. It was one of the FEW times they actually were apart on boarding. Before dinner we met our cabin steward, introduced ourselves, and then were off for the evening. When we came back very late, the beds had been put TOGETHER. :eek:

So Ryan and I pulled them apart as quietly as we could so as not to wake the people in the cabin on the deck below ours, and kind of, sort of remade the beds. We figured the steward would get the idea and make them up accordingly the next day.

Next morning, off we went for the day. We came back to the cabin later that afternoon. The beds HAD BEEN PUT TOGETHER AGAIN!! *insert forehead slap here* Finally we snagged our steward and I explained that I was traveling with my SON and we'd prefer our beds APART.

He said something about "Oh in my country sometimes we sleep with our mothers!" Uh… no, probably not; but at any rate… not in my country! :D Or on my cruise. We still laugh about that one.

Why he made that extra work for himself putting our beds together, TWICE, I'll never know.

I noticed that even though it says "together" on our profile, on our reservation, it says that the preference is "not available".

The preference on the profile never seemed to get to the crew, since it was hit or miss. Not a big deal either way to us, however, anything that can help the stewards reduce their workload would probably be a good idea.

Edited by ehfl

It is a bit inconvenient that all beds start out a king. My sister and I wanted to take an early nap and we had to get the steward to come in one extra time and remake the beds.

But glad at least now they make it clear up front that the preference we put in is irrelevant. We thought the steward made a mistake.