Room Arrangement Preference No Longer an Option!!

karen s

I tried to pre-arrange my 2 college-aged daughter's and my Christmas sailing cabin arrangement on Explorer to have the beds apart but have been told by C&A that now all cabins will be set up with both beds together and there is no longer an option to request them apart prior to boarding.

C&A claimed that it would make cabin availability faster, but I just think that's a bigger burden on the stewards to have to remake them if requested once the passengers are on board....

The agent said it was just a start of a brand new 10 min check in procedure to roll out in the next 1-2 yrs. To begin their goal to have a 10min pier to cabin embarkation -- beginning with the Quantum Class ships: there will be reserved check in times that you select when checking in online from home, taking your security photo from home and uploading it to your reservation, and then check-in via I-Pad with check in agents wandering about the terminal to verify you are the same person in the photo you uploaded, hmmm...

I then asked what if passengers showed up earlier than their reserved check in time would they be turned away and asked to wait?? He said no, they could still embark outside the reserved time. What??? Doesn't that just blow the whole 10min process out of the water?? He said no, it would still work.

Good lord....what's to come??? :eek:

I am fully confident that our room steward will take care of it....I just hate to make him/her do double the work is all. :o

It would only be double the work if the beds were separated for the previous guests, which I suspect is a low probability.

Cabin stewards never seemed to get the information about beds together or beds apart anyway. I don't know why they ever asked that since it didn't make its way to the steward responsible for the cabin. Mine have been wrong about as often as they have been right.

I've had my request for the beds separated for a couple years and they have been together for all my cruises except 1. I just request it when I meet our cabin steward. No biggie.

I don't know why anyone would think they would do things right in the first place. :rolleyes::p As far as the boarding process, we will see how that will go. Might be years before they get it right. Will never stop me from cruising though. ;)

Gwen :)

Thats weird, I am sailing on the Serenade Nov. 6th and my confirmation shows beds apart, which is what I requested

But it is highly unlikely that will be what you actually see when you first enter your cabin :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I tried to pre-arrange my 2 college-aged daughter's and my Christmas sailing cabin arrangement on Explorer to have the beds apart but have been told by C&A that now all cabins will be set up with both beds together and there is no longer an option to request them apart prior to boarding.

C&A claimed that it would make cabin availability faster, but I just think that's a bigger burden on the stewards to have to remake them if requested once the passengers are on board....

The agent said it was just a start of a brand new 10 min check in procedure to roll out in the next 1-2 yrs. To begin their goal to have a 10min pier to cabin embarkation -- beginning with the Quantum Class ships: there will be reserved check in times that you select when checking in online from home, taking your security photo from home and uploading it to your reservation, and then check-in via I-Pad with check in agents wandering about the terminal to verify you are the same person in the photo you uploaded, hmmm...

I then asked what if passengers showed up earlier than their reserved check in time would they be turned away and asked to wait?? He said no, they could still embark outside the reserved time. What??? Doesn't that just blow the whole 10min process out of the water?? He said no, it would still work.

the attendant should fix them up to what you need.

A few additional dollars - and you can have any bed configuration, and not to worry about making the steward work.

As for 10' check-in: good luck with that! I don't even have an eye-pad and don't plan on getting one. Too much personal info in the cyber-space already!

As for 10' check-in: good luck with that! I don't even have an eye-pad and don't plan on getting one. Too much personal info in the cyber-space already!

:) Royal has the ipads.

"then check-in via I-Pad with check in agents wandering about the terminal"...

They are doing a version of this at WDW. Makes sense that Royal is doing it, since they seem to be copying Disney with other things, too (the wristband thing).

Just got off Brilliance. Our cabin attendant said she makes them all up together, she said it is faster to do them all the same and go back later and change the beds that need changed.

The reality for me is that on 3 different cruise lines, my bed request has never been right when I first entered the cabin. They have always fixed it on request though.

I've always been under the impression that most stewards make up the beds in a cabin on turnaround day based on how the previous occupants had them arranged rather than taking the time to move beds arounds based on a list of new passenger preferences. I can see where turning over all beds to a queen configuration could allow for faster room availability as supplemental staff could be brought in to help with the beds and there would be no checking of lists or time wasted in selecting correct sized sheeting etc. Streamlines the process significantly.

We just sailed on the Grandeur and I requested separate. When we boarded they were together and the steward told me all beds were put that way and it would be fixed on her 3:00 rounds. When we got to the cabin around 4:00 they were separated.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I have been on 16 cruises with RCI, not once have the beds been accurate at time of boarding despite being asked at time of booking. It's like what's the point of asking if they're not going to pass along the information anyway?

I also understand when others say they feel bad having the steward move them apart. It's like it's not enough they put new sheets on a queen sized bed and now they have to make up two additional twin beds. They always do it with no problem, I just hate thinking they have to do extra work. They already do so much!

Cabin stewards never seemed to get the information about beds together or beds apart anyway. I don't know why they ever asked that since it didn't make its way to the steward responsible for the cabin. Mine have been wrong about as often as they have been right.

The only time I've ever confirmed that the room stewards actually paid attention was one time when the steward looked at that I'm 14 years older than my partner and decided that the "together" arrangement must be wrong. We asked him to fix it, gave him five bucks to assure him we weren't mad, and collapsed into laughter once he was out of the room and down the hall.

I am fully confident that our room steward will take care of it....I just hate to make him/her do double the work is all. :o

I can say that I always request separate for mom and I and they are always together when we board anyway ....:rolleyes: