Food & Service Not good in "inclusive" Restaurants?

din2play2

4) To get away from "the rift raft". Yes, I will get flack for this, but there are lot of people on the ship who are kind of obnoxious, and sometimes it's nice to get away from that. People who can afford the specialty restaurants are often a little more well behaved and manored than the average cruiser. If you get angry at me for this last paragraph than sorry, but I'm just being honest.

'Rift Raft' - I don't think I have met any of these people are they related to the Riff Raff.

There are rude & obnoxious people from every walk of life, & some of them may be able to afford the specialty restaurants but unfortunately it does not mean that they will be well mannered (or able to spell)

Edited by anniejoujou

I've been to moderno, le bistro, la cucina & i think 15-20$ per person for a 3 course meal is pretty darn cheap. We can't go out and get all the apps you want main course and all the desserts you want for this amount of money on land.

Also I've seen some pretty obnoxious people in specialty restaurants. I find those who think highly of themselves and think they deserve more attention to be more annoying than those who are just loud in general.

That is one of the reasons why we don't , the people seems so up tight about every little item on the plate and act so rude..

And oh ya I could dine with the best at any cost... As long as the meal was good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How is this a money issue? The UDP for a 9 day cruise is $150. If $150 seems like a lot of money, you ought to not be taking a vacation. $150 is a fraction of most people's bar bills after a cruise!

$17/day for a significantly better evening meal. I just figure the cruise is costing $17/day more when I book it, and eat much better as a consequence. I'm already looking forward to my first dinner at Le Bistro - even if the staff aren't French they make excellent French food (as can I, also not French).

9 day cruise. 3 dinners at Cagney's (steak, lamb, sea bass), 3 at Le Bistro (coq au vin, duck confit twice), the Brazilian place twice... what's not to like?!

For the most part, yes.

For the most part, I find ones who have common courtesy for others ( money or no money) to have the most manners. While those who flaunt their money around, have no manners or even class - they're the ones that leave a nasty mess (food all over the table like wild dogs ate their, liquid all over the place, like ***) for waiters to clean up. And considering that specialty restaurant prices are cheap (to me anyway), I expect alot of "no table manners" people to dine there as well as the complimentary places.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

How is this a money issue? The UDP for a 9 day cruise is $150. If $150 seems like a lot of money, you ought to not be taking a vacation. $150 is a fraction of most people's bar bills after a cruise!

I share your admiration for Norwegian's specialty restaurants, yet your callous disregard for people of modest means is abhorrent. There are a great many people (of all nationalities) for whom a single cruise is a huge financial stretch--absolutely huge. Against all odds, they scrimp and save and eventually manage to make their lifelong dream happen. We should celebrate these people, not fault them, and welcome them in our company.

I share your admiration for Norwegian's specialty restaurants, yet your callous disregard for people of modest means is abhorrent. There are a great many people (of all nationalities) for whom a single cruise is a huge financial stretch--absolutely huge. Against all odds, they scrimp and save and eventually manage to make their lifelong dream happen. We should celebrate these people, not fault them, and welcome them in our company.

We are much better off now than we were when we first started cruising and I still consider $150 a sum that I'm not willing to just throw away.

We are much better off now than we were when we first started cruising and I still consider $150 a sum that I'm not willing to just throw away.

I agree. I just don't want to pay for 'specialty' restaurants when decent enough food is included in my cruise fare. The presumption that the wealthy passengers won't eat at the MDR is actually very laughable and very incorrect.

Or even $119 for 7 days - Look, it may seems cheap to some and maybe it is but honestly, how often am I going to eat at the specialty restaurants when the buffet, O'sheenan's and the MDR are just as good? And if I do buy the UDP, it basically requires that I dine out practically every night of a trip at specialty restaurant to get more mileage out of the plan while without it, I have more leeway in choices. I'm more likely to dine out at one of the specialties for once or twice during the trip which comes out to about $15-60; which is(for me anyway) throwing way $59-104 - if you got money to burn like that , be my guest; but I'm not going to waste money so needless like that.....

Thank you for adding some compassion and class to this thread of comments.

Wealthy people would rather pay more and dine in specialty restaurants? Good. Please eat there and stay out of my lane. I'd rather see more food and less wait time for me at MDR and Garden Café with them gone.

Edited by sfaaa

Or even $119 for 7 days - Look, it may seems cheap to some and maybe it is but honestly, how often am I going to eat at the specialty restaurants when the buffet, O'sheenan's and the MDR are just as good? And if I do buy the UDP, it basically requires that I dine out practically every night of a trip at specialty restaurant to get more mileage out of the plan while without it, I have more leeway in choices. I'm more likely to dine out at one of the specialties for once or twice during the trip which comes out to about $15-60; which is(for me anyway) throwing way $59-104 - if you got money to burn like that , be my guest; but I'm not going to waste money so needless like that.....

Yep. On our Gem cruise DW and I finally ate in a specialty restaurant for the first time and while it was good and worth the money it wasn't such a "must" for us that we would be compelled to ever eat in one again since the included venues more than meet our needs.

Edited by sparks1093

Well that probably answers the question I always think when someone considers NCL MDR food "good" - what/where the heck do you normally eat? If a NCL cruise is a once in a lifetime financial stretch, that answer might be WalMart crap and Applebees.

We're talking about NCL here, second up on the cruise line quality totem pole, above Carnival. It's not all high falutin' and fancy.

I'm a foodie. Having quality food prepared for me is a big part of my enjoyment of cruising. "The MDR food is fine" doesn't cut it for me, I want it to be good or it harms my vacation. I like the MDR food/service on Cunard and Celebrity, and not NCL and RCI. Ironically, the upsell Steak House on Carnival is much better than the one on NCL :eek:

The poster's original question was "Food & Service Not good in "inclusive" Restaurants?" - and the answer in my opinion - correct, it is not good, spend the extra $17/day and eat much better elsewhere.

Well that probably answers the question I always think when someone considers NCL MDR food "good" - what/where the heck do you normally eat? If a NCL cruise is a once in a lifetime financial stretch, that answer might be WalMart crap and Applebees.

We're talking about NCL here, second up on the cruise line quality totem pole, above Carnival. It's not all high falutin' and fancy.

I'm a foodie. Having quality food prepared for me is a big part of my enjoyment of cruising. "The MDR food is fine" doesn't cut it for me, I want it to be good or it harms my vacation. I like the MDR food/service on Cunard and Celebrity, and not NCL and RCI. Ironically, the upsell Steak House on Carnival is much better than the one on NCL :eek:

The poster's original question was "Food & Service Not good in "inclusive" Restaurants?" - and the answer in my opinion - correct, it is not good, spend the extra $17/day and eat much better elsewhere.

So people like a lower quality of food than you do, that doesn't mean they shouldn't go on vacation:).

Food is subjective - what seems nasty and horrible you, is perfectly fine to someone else. Paying for the UDP for every time seems perfectly fine to you; but to others, its too expensive or a waste of money since the complimentary meals are good to them. Their opinion is just as valid as yours and maybe more so, since there seems the free food gets great to so-so reviews depending on the ship.

Since you seem to have issues with people you think and assume are poor due to preferring to eat at free venues (some maybe are and others are definitely not) maybe you should stop sailing on NCL since so many there don't mind the taste of the free food. NCL and Royal are just a step up from Carnival but all three still mass market line for the masses - if Carnival is Walmart, then NCL is Target and Royal is Kohl's. And if you don't like Target and Walmart's free food , then you're perfectly free to sail on Neiman Marcus (Celebrity) and Lord&Taylor's (Cunard).

I am a chef and owner of a catering business. We cruise only on NCL.

We have never had a bad meal in the main dining room. This is not to say it is 5 star cuisine, to is good and does the job.

With that being said we tend to eat in the Pay restaurants as we really enjoy the different types of cuisine and the different venues.

We are doing the UDP for our upcoming Jade cruise for the first time and are really looking forward to it.

While the 100 dollars or so may not be a lot, we have 4 in our family so 400 is a good chunk of change.

Also please not that they do discount the UDP if you are platinum as you already get a dinner for 2 as a perk.

Food is subjective - what seems nasty and horrible you, is perfectly fine to someone else. Paying for the UDP for every time seems perfectly fine to you; but to others, its too expensive or a waste of money since the complimentary meals are good to them. Their opinion is just as valid as yours and maybe more so, since there seems the free food gets great to so-so reviews depending on the ship.

Since you seem to have issues with people you think and assume are poor due to preferring to eat at free venues (some maybe are and others are definitely not) maybe you should stop sailing on NCL since so many there don't mind the taste of the free food. NCL and Royal are just a step up from Carnival but all three still mass market line for the masses - if Carnival is Walmart, then NCL is Target and Royal is Kohl's. And if you don't like Target and Walmart's free food , then you're perfectly free to sail on Neiman Marcus (Celebrity) and Lord&Taylor's (Cunard).

I have no issues with anyone :) I don't assume someone eating in the MDR is poor. I do question their decision to eat not very good MDR food, when for comparatively pennies more you can eat substantially better elsewhere. But hey, McDonald's is inexplicably popular, which is a terrible burger, when for pennies more you can eat at Five Guys, which is an excellent burger.

What I do, if I'm "cruising" with Target, Kohl's, or WalMart, is factor in the upsell dining when pricing a cruise, just as I factor in the cost of flying to Florida when cruising from there.

Why am I bothering with this, stay away from the better restaurants so I can make reservations more easily! :D

Edited by socsthecat

I have no issues with anyone :) I don't assume someone eating in the MDR is poor. I do question their decision to eat not very good MDR food, when for comparatively pennies more you can eat substantially better elsewhere. But hey, McDonald's is inexplicably popular, which is a terrible burger, when for pennies more you can eat at Five Guys, which is an excellent burger.

Why am I bothering with this, stay away from the better restaurants so I can make reservations more easily! :D

You think you're eating at Five Guys (premium line like Celebrity or Princess) but its actually Burger Kings (NCL) and specialty dining there is five decker Whooper burger practically everyday but at additional cost. It's all about taste and perspective, you think the MDR taste horrible like McDonalds, but to others it tastes great because it McDonalds / Burger Kings.

But whatever, like you said - Just stay out of complimentary places since it free food AND pay-for-drinks, unlike specialty dining where you have to pay for both. *shrug* I don't care what anyone says - free buffalo wings and fries with cold bucket of beer or pretzel rolls from the buffet and wine are always going to taste good.[emoji16]

Jeez, I am really feeling bad. I just discovered what a low-class, uncultured schmuck I must be.

I could actually enjoy a cruise without going to one of the specialty restaurants. We do however normally do about three, not because the free food is so bad, but because we enjoy the ambience. (Maybe I shouldn't use that word due to my low-class status.)

I almost fell out of my chair on last cruise. We were dining in the French restaurant. There was a solo woman diner who meticulously took notes and pictures of each course. I can't fathom why anyone would be so anal

as to do such a thing. Eat the damn food.

As I have said before here, NCL must really have a good thing going. They

continually lure people, many over and over again, to subject themselves

to swill.

I almost fell out of my chair on last cruise. We were dining in the French restaurant. There was a solo woman diner who meticulously took notes and pictures of each course. I can't fathom why anyone would be so anal

as to do such a thing. Eat the damn food.

It probably showed up in a review right here on CC.