Food & Service Not good in "inclusive" Restaurants?

din2play2

"Angus" is pure marketing BS. Ask a butcher what it means - in the US it means the cow was more than 50% black in color, that is all. Nothing to do with the Angus breed, other than real Angus cattle also happen to be black. Seriously, ask a butcher :)

To be labeled Angus in Vermont it has to be from an Angus steer.

To be labeled Angus in Vermont it has to be from an Angus steer.

If Vermont do it differently to the rest of the country, good for Vermont!

For everyone else, if the cattle is 51% black it can be considered Angus, regardless of whether it is really an Angus or not.

FYI

Black Angus cattle are considered by many to be an especially flavorful breed. Alas, it is almost impossible to know if what you are buying really is Angus.

Certified Angus Beef™. The Certified Angus Beef™ (CAB) brand is a trademarked brand designed to market quality beef. To wear the CAB logo, the carcass must pass 10 quality control standards and CAB must be either USDA Prime or one of the two upper sublevels of USDA Choice. Most of it is USDA Choice. CAB costs a bit more because the American Angus Association charges a fee to "certify" the steers and higher markups take place on down the line.

Interestingly, CAB does not actually certify that the beef labeled Certified Angus Beef is from the highly regarded Angus breed. Their major control is that the steer must have a black hide, which is a genetic indicator that there are Angus genes in the steer, but not a guarantee.

If Vermont do it differently to the rest of the country, good for Vermont!

For everyone else, if the cattle is 51% black it can be considered Angus, regardless of whether it is really an Angus or not.

Or the breeder has to present registration papers of the cow's parentage / lineage / if there's doubts about the pedigee.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

There are a few reasons, I will go through them.

1) We were on the Breakaway in May, and for a 7 day cruise the dining package was offered for $119. With that included the $40 Circus show. So we were getting a dining package for $80. Eating at specialty restaurants 6 times was worth $80 to us. We were interested in the Circus show (which was AMAZING) anyway so this sealed the deal on the UDP.

2) The quality of food is better. Food in main dining rooms and buffet aren't as good. They're not bad by any means, but if you want steak or lobster, go to a specialty restaurant.

3) Service is more professional because they know you're paying for it. We have eaten in the MDRs a lot, and service isn't bad per say, but in the specialty restaurants your waiter is much more attentive and frequent to visit you. Personally, we don't care about the whole "being pampered" thing so this isn't why we go.

4) To get away from "the rift raft". Yes, I will get flack for this, but there are lot of people on the ship who are kind of obnoxious, and sometimes it's nice to get away from that. People who can afford the specialty restaurants are often a little more well behaved and manored than the average cruiser. If you get angry at me for this last paragraph than sorry, but I'm just being honest.

Edited by jmcookiemonster25

1) We were on the Breakaway in May, and for a 7 day cruise the dining package was offered for $119. With that included the $40 Circus show. So we were getting a dining package for $80. Eating at specialty restaurants 6 times was worth $80 to us. We were interested in the Circus show (which was AMAZING) anyway so this sealed the deal on the UDP.

2) The quality of food is better. Food in main dining rooms and buffet aren't as good. They're not bad by any means, but if you want steak or lobster, go to a specialty restaurant.

3) Service is more professional because they know you're paying for it. We have eaten in the MDRs a lot, and service isn't bad per say, but in the specialty restaurants your waiter is much more attentive and frequent to visit you. Personally, we don't care about the whole "being pampered" thing so this isn't why we go.

4) To get away from "the rift raft". Yes, I will get flack for this, but there are lot of people on the ship who are kind of obnoxious, and sometimes it's nice to get away from that. People who can afford the specialty restaurants are often a little more well behaved and manored than the average cruiser. If you get angry at me for this last paragraph than sorry, but I'm just being honest.

At least you're honest about it upfront compare to the other poster who forgot or didn't know that the part owners and/or senior management team of NCL also had a hand in equity or running of Applebees, Olive Garden, Ruth Christie, Wendy's, Red Lobster, etc...*shrug*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I ate at Teppanyaki because I'm a vegetarian, and it's just an extra experience. As far as the food, it was good but I can make the same thing at home. From my overall experience onboard, it seemed the specialty places were better. Sugarcanes the mojito bar drinks were better quality. But for me eating at "Le Bistro" when everyone is Filipino and doesn't really know French cuisine, wasn't worth it. Teppanyaki's was ok, and didn't impress us to do others onboard. Like others have said, more of a 'show' than an overall experience. honestly I thought the specialty joints on Carnival were more of the five star experience. Maybe b/c Norwegian is freestyle it's overall more casual I don't know. For me I didn't do it because when I eat in the specialty restaurant, I'd like something authentic and unique, and that is more special. Menu matters of course too.

I don't know so much about class distinctions based on being able to afford it. There are some truly obnoxious people who are wealthy too. Its more about getting away from the noise and the crowds. If you're on a holiday cruise there is much less likely hood you'll see children running around screaming in the specialty places though. I agree that it feels a little more 'civilized' in there.

I wonder what people who like NCL MDR dinners normally eat at home! Dominoes Pizza and McDonald's and Applebees ?!

That's always my question when any discussion of food quality comes up. If you're used to olive garden and chilis, you're probably going to have different expectations than if you go to place that are all made from scratch meals from a top chef. Some people actually like the simpler stuff, and thats fine. I'd just guess that a minority vs those that don't have a good basis for comparison, or just don't want to pay for it.

Our three favourite meals at home are Tattie Hash, Scouse and Tripe and Onions. We have always wanted to find these dishes on NCL in the MDR's but so far have never found them. Do they have these in the specialty restaurants?

I hear a loud whooshing sound as this flies high over most posters:rolleyes: (though who would want tripe at any time is beyond me :eek: JMHO)

BTW - you forgot black pudding in your list (though I have seen it on NCL in the buffet for breakfast many years ago).

I hear a loud whooshing sound as this flies high over most posters:rolleyes: (though who would want tripe at any time is beyond me :eek: JMHO)

BTW - you forgot black pudding in your list (though I have seen it on NCL in the buffet for breakfast many years ago).

I know what Tripe is and can use my imagination for the rest :eek:(or google it if my curosity gets the best of me:o).

Black Puddings are the speciality for residents of Bury. We are 10 miles away. Anyway, much prefer Haggis and Neeps.:)

25th January only for me - Haggis not my favourite but tradition dictates (a bit like having turkey for Christmas - meh - much prefer good old roast beef or goose).

My first cruise I sailed alone and ate mostly in the specialty restaurants because I felt odd sitting alone in the MDR. The specialty restaurants felt a bi more intimate.

The last few cruises I sailed with friends and still ate at the specialty restaurants

Friends insist food is same as MDR but I say otherwise

I think you get a bit more attention in the device department than in MDR and you can't beat a steak from Cagneys or the mushroom soup at Le Bistro

I think the food on NCL s relish no matter where you eat

Enjoy!!

I ate at Teppanyaki because I'm a vegetarian, and it's just an extra experience. As far as the food, it was good but I can make the same thing at home. From my overall experience onboard, it seemed the specialty places were better. Sugarcanes the mojito bar drinks were better quality. But for me eating at "Le Bistro" when everyone is Filipino and doesn't really know French cuisine....

Filipino chefs are unable to master French cuisine because...?

I ate at Teppanyaki because I'm a vegetarian, and it's just an extra experience. As far as the food, it was good but I can make the same thing at home. From my overall experience onboard, it seemed the specialty places were better. Sugarcanes the mojito bar drinks were better quality. But for me eating at "Le Bistro" when everyone is Filipino and doesn't really know French cuisine, wasn't worth it. Teppanyaki's was ok, and didn't impress us to do others onboard. Like others have said, more of a 'show' than an overall experience. honestly I thought the specialty joints on Carnival were more of the five star experience. Maybe b/c Norwegian is freestyle it's overall more casual I don't know. For me I didn't do it because when I eat in the specialty restaurant, I'd like something authentic and unique, and that is more special. Menu matters of course too.[/QUOTytE]

this is one one the most idiotic statement I have ever read.

I am a trained chef and I am American, born and bred in NJ. I can make French and Italian food better then most French and Italians. Your nationality has nothing to do with what or the quality of what you cook.

Variety - it's the spice of life. Just like you don't go to the same restaurants while vacationing on land, you might not want to do so on a cruise. I think it has more to do with the variety of choices than the quality of the food/service. Although, the food quality is superior in some cases. There is often more "theater" in the speciality service than the MDR.

<snip> But for me eating at "Le Bistro" when everyone is Filipino and doesn't really know French cuisine, wasn't worth it. <snip>

How you could have the gall to blame the chefs' ethnic origins is mind-boggling. Did you go into the galley and check out their countries of origin? - No, thought not.

Eating in a French restaurant as a vegetarian isn't worth it either. (the French don't really do vegetarian:rolleyes: - a quick glance at Le Bistro's menu should have shown you that (2 starters and 1 main vegetarian option)).

Edited by SteveH2508

People like you and that ignorant statement are what's wrong with America today. People with more money = better manners?

Pretty much summed up what I didn't like about Splendor's MDR waitstaff that I had - Don't assume that because I'm fat, I want more food; if I'm telling you "No' then respect my answer that I don't want any more food. Stop asking me after the plates for the appetizer and entree have been cleared if I want a second helping of those; "no' but you bring me the dessert menu and I will tell what I want for the 3rd course. It was very annoying on top of already tense issue with table-mates (if it wasn't for the ocean waves, all one could hear at that table was dead silence) Believe me when I say I will not mind having a table for one for myself and it will be way more entertaining than that mess......

This. Exactly. I realize there are others who are very regimented in how they like to eat...same time, same place, same pre-dinner drink, etc. That's not for me, which is why Freestyle is so great!

I don't know what cruises you have been on but I have never had a waiter do that, not even close.

You are paying for the service regardless of where you eat.

Sometimes the rude, obnoxious and stuck-up eat in the specialty restaurants. Sorry, I'm just being honest.

You are paying for the service regardless of where you eat.

Sometimes the rude, obnoxious and stuck-up eat in the specialty restaurants. Sorry, I'm just being honest.

I guess you mean "hoity toity".:)

"She had her nose so far up in the air, you could pour tea down it.":p