Waiting Vans

frugalKansan

Thanks crewsweeper. Those are the tours I usually take. I've had so many great experiences with tour guides doing their best to earn a great tip.

Well good luck to you. I think you might find a tour to AltunHa Maya ruins but mostly horse cart city tours are hawked out there, IIRC. There may be a cavetubing tour or zip line. But for these you are better off with better tubes, better guiding and access using established vendors with advance reservations. In choosing anything other than a city tour, you do need to watch your time as trips outside the city can be extra long. Roads are 2 lane and frequently get bogged down in traffic. The vendors and operators you hire on the fly may not have as good of sense of your need to get back to the tender pier in time for your ship's last tender and are certainly not aware of time zone differences.

Well good luck to you. I think you might find a tour to AltunHa Maya ruins but mostly horse cart city tours are hawked out there, IIRC. There may be a cavetubing tour or zip line. But for these you are better off with better tubes, better guiding and access using established vendors with advance reservations. In choosing anything other than a city tour, you do need to watch your time as trips outside the city can be extra long. Roads are 2 lane and frequently get bogged down in traffic. The vendors and operators you hire on the fly may not have as good of sense of your need to get back to the tender pier in time for your ship's last tender and are certainly not aware of time zone differences.

From your comments it appears you have never booked any of the tours on the pier. If this is true how can you make comments regarding their quality versus the tour from the ship or their ability to know what time to get people back to the ship. We seldom book tours on the ship and we have never had any of the problems you referred to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From your comments it appears you have never booked any of the tours on the pier. If this is true how can you make comments regarding their quality versus the tour from the ship or their ability to know what time to get people back to the ship. We seldom book tours on the ship and we have never had any of the problems you referred to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Again, you cannot book tours from the pier in Belize. It's outside the pier gates. I have been outside the pier gates on my own many times in Belize and, as other posts on this board have stated, there are very aggressive tour hawkers outside. So I do have the experience of knowing what many of these people are offering. And I do know people and have read reviews of people who have taken independent tours in Belize missing or nearly missing their last tender. Even ship sponsored tours have been late and either a new tender was sent to pick them up or the last tender held up for their arrival. A side note on the aggressiveness of these vendors--it's no different than any other port and for the most part, they will leave you alone once you say "No, Thanks". A block outside the pier and you'll not see any more vendors.

For the most part, I book independent tours in ports when I book tours but I book them from reputable vendors in advance so that I have a good idea of what I am in for. If I don't book a tours it's DIY, but there again, I do so with as full of knowledge of risks and a sound sense of timetables and exactly what I want to do well before embarking on the cruise.

Again, best of luck to you, have a great cruise and please come back and share your experience. :)

Inside the pier area, you will find people from a couple of reputable independent tour operators holding signs to meet people coming off the tenders that have pre-booked tours with them. Eco-tours Belize and Island Marketing are two that I know of, there may be some others. Google their websites to see what tours they offer and the prices. When you get off the tender, walk all the way down the pier to your left. Their offices are in the last building. Or just ask one of their people holding the signs.

I have always pre-booked, but I doubt it would be a problem booking on any of the tours if there is still space available.

Personally I wouldn't get on a tour with just anyone in Belize.

I've had good luck with getting someone dockside to give me a good tour of the local area. The drivers will usually customize where you want to go and they know the places where to get the best deals and the best food. If I'm going on a long distance excursion then I usually opt for the cruise line excursions.

I've had good luck with getting someone dockside to give me a good tour of the local area. The drivers will usually customize where you want to go and they know the places where to get the best deals and the best food. If I'm going on a long distance excursion then I usually opt for the cruise line excursions.

First, if you've ever been to Belize City, you'll know that its a tender pier and thus no dockside. You'll also know that the 3 or 4 local spots for tourists in Belize City and 2-3 good local food restaurants are within walking distance of the gated tender pier area, known as Tourism Village. No real need for a taxi to these places. However, for the man made beach, Cucumber Beach at Old Belize, the zoo, Belikean brewery, or One Barrel Rum Factory or any nearby Maya ruins, you might hire a taxi, caveats on timing and since there are no meters or standardized rates, you'll need to agree on a price before getting into the taxi, which should be clearly marked as a taxi.

Hi crewsweeper, I have never been to Belize but plan on going next April.

We are really looking for a beach to relax for the day where we can buy some drinks and food. Do you know if this is available anywhere near the pier. I ask because i see you mentioned "the man made beach, Cucumber Beach at Old Belize" in your last post.

Thanks