Dawn Aft Suites?

SactoSteve

We're strongly considering an Eastern Carribean cruise on the Dawn early next year. We're looking at either the mini-suite (AF) or maybe one of the aft Penthouse suites (AE). How are the AE suites? Any disadvantage to being at the back of the boat?

One web site seems to show a wrap-around balcony for the outer AE suites. Is that accurate? Or are all the AE balconies pretty much the same size?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Steve

SactoSteve,

We stayed in 9236 in early May. The aft cabins are great. The balcony is a little bigger than the side balconies and there is NO wind. We sailed in Dec 04 in a port side balcony and it was too cold and windy to use it on the way down and back. That's two days each way. People complain about the engine noise and vibrations on other ships, we felt none.

Go for the aft cabin, they sell out fast.

Monty

ditto; grab one while you can.

on the dawn the side afts do not wrap around even though some deck plans make it appear as though they do.

the side part is shut off by a door; sometimes you can get them to open it but typically not and also the wrap part is evidently very narrow, you could stand there but not lounge there.

Hi, everyone.

I booked the penthouse suite AE, which is located at the aft.

Your info exchange was interesting for me, because this is my first experience being in suites. I would like to ask a question about the stateroom layout - is the bedroom separated by the wall or by the curtain? I am interested in open space layout, not in small boxes. How wide is the balcony? The sliding door? I was seduced by that wrap-around, but from your posts I understand there is no wraparound. I tried to find the plan of AE stateroom, but they only have generic pictures for all suites.

And those who traveled in these cabins, please advise, what is the mandatory tip they deduct for butler and consierge service. We would not need their services at all, is it possible to refuse it? I want the big cabin, but not someone in it, we don't plan parties, and we are capable of going to the theatre on our own. I would gladly tip those guys directly, but if NCL charges me for service we are not planning to use, I would like to know beforehand.

Thank you

There is no auto tip for concierge or butler. If you do not use their services, you will not need to tip them. If you do, then tip commensurate w/ services.

I have not stayed in the suite level that you are, and therefore others will be better sources of information, but I think you should not expect defined separate living areas, just a slightly larger room with a couch/seating area. More spacious than a regular room but not a "suite" in any traditional sense. Open in otherwords, which it sounds from your post you would like.

Balcony even without wrap is larger. To find out, go to the NCL site and act as though you are booking your exact room. You'll have to pick another voyage perhaps months from now because of course your room is booked on your voyage! As you get to cabin selection, click on your stateroom, you'll get a pop up box with the details on square footage of cabin, balcony, etc.; that is pretty accurate by cabin, not just category.

Thanks for answer,

OK, cleared w/ tips, as I said, I love to tip stuards, waiters, busboys personally, we are always generous, but after the cruise company deducts the tip that you used to give people directly, now everyone expects you to tip on the top of that. I hate looking these hardworking people in their eyes at the end of the cruise and not give them what they deserve, however I refuse to pay double tips. What companies are doing is called extortion.

I did extended research on these rooms, have all footage numbers for cabins, balconies, but there was no layout plan, such as Royal Caribbean provides. I called the company, they didn't add to anything that is on their site.

Does anyone know how much AE rooms are different from AF. It is 291 sq ft vs 229 sq ft. But with right planning smaller room can look bigger. Bad layout kills the x-tra space.

Are there any perks that come with AE that AF don't have?

Please advise.

At the risk of sounding a little harsh, do you think you might be overdoing this pre-planning? Granted, I pre-planned the heck out of mine, but end of day, it isn't how the room is; it is the experience. My 2 cents, but take a step back!

Go in expecting good things and good things will come; go in expecting that the space isn't going to be as well utlized as you would have hoped, and you will be disappointed.

:)

Hi, Trina

thank you for advise. This is my 15+ cruise, and we swam in various rooms.

If I ask about the room layout, I do it for a reason, rather for a number of reasons, not the least of them - the extra price for AE. I don't care about the butler, what I would be paying for is more space. If I don't get the extra space, I don't need to have AE.

If all I cared was experience, I wouldn't place the question. I am experienced enough in deriving pleasure in any type of cabin, including inside cabin on deck 4.

I hope I made myself clear on why IT IS important to me.

Seasoned,

As far as the extra perks, that is listed on the website( click on cabin # in booking engine)

As far as the layout...........AE in the aft are SQUARE so you have more "space" the AF on port and starboard are LONGER (does that make sense?).

As far as not wanting the Butler and Concierge service, that would be up to you. The Butler brings you your "goodies" in the afternoon, you may want to tip him/her then, or say you don`t want them. IMO that would be a shame. The Butler will bring you breakfast and dinner.

Hope this helps, enjoy.

There is a floorplan of the AE/AD/AE penthouse suite.

http://www.ncl.com/fleet/03/staterooms.htm Get out a magnifying glass, in this view of the GV...the center bedroom is (basically) the AE/AD/AE penthouse suite.Its a small picture, but it does give you an idea of what to expect. What the floorplan does not show is the balcony...the vanity at the end of the corridor to the bathroom...and the fact that the closet separating the entrance hall from the bathroom hall is accessable from both sides.

Thank you for answering.

I would enjoy butler's service and tip accordingly on a spot, however it is not what I want from the upgrade to suite. For my own reasons I need a bigger room, so the space separated by wall into bedroom and living-dining wouldn't be helpful, I am not looking for privacy.

I looked into a lot of pictures so far and they are not telling much. Simple plan would answer my question. And if the difference between balcony cabin mini-suite, and penthouse AE is next-to-nothing I would rather spend the extra money on another cruise.

Room numbers for AE category are:9732, 9736, 9236, 9232, 8670, 8672, 8172 8170. Anyone who traveled in these rooms, pleese, provide feedback.

Thank you

Thank you for answering.

I would enjoy butler's service and tip accordingly on a spot, however it is not what I want from the upgrade to suite. For my own reasons I need a bigger room, so the space separated by wall into bedroom and living-dining wouldn't be helpful, I am not looking for privacy.

I looked into a lot of pictures so far and they are not telling much. Simple plan would answer my question. And if the difference between balcony cabin mini-suite, and penthouse AE is next-to-nothing I would rather spend the extra money on another cruise.

Room numbers for AE category are:9732, 9736, 9236, 9232, 8670, 8672, 8172 8170. Anyone who traveled in these rooms, pleese, provide feedback.

Thank you

I was in 8672:) What are your questions?

Bal. --long but narrow,2 lounge chairs and 2 side tables--curtain around the bed (queen)--shower in tub--vanity outside bathroom--closet opens on either side, plenty of space--large table(seats 4) for dining--nice sound system, cd and dvd player--couch with large coffee table--club chair--large desk along wall, 2 small end tables beside bed.

Thanks to everyone who provided an answer to my question I was able to make an educated decision. As it happens, the size of the balcony proudly named "penthouse" is such that there is no space for a table with chairs, and I am not interested in lounges, I would rather had reclining chairs. The breakfast that butler serves, I would prefer to enjoy on the balcony, not in the cabin.

The size of the dinner table inside is such that it cannot accommodate 4 people for dinner, but since we travel with one more couple we wanted to be able to share a dinner with them, or relax on the balcony together. The balcony and the room are strictly for 2.

I am so glad that I had a chance to view those links and pictures that you posted. From the word "penthouse" I expected some expanded outside area, wider (or is it longer?) balcony, in reality it is a bigger balcony cabin with more stress on service features.

By the way, expedited VIP checkin before 12pm does not serve the purpose, we want to arrive by 2pm.

Thanks again to everyone who participated in feedback, you saved me money and aggravation.

P.S. penthouse - enclosed area on top of a building. Such a structure may house the top of an elevator shaft, air-conditioning equipment, or the stairs leading to the roof; it can also provide living or working accommodations. Usually a penthouse is set back from the vertical face of a building, thus providing open spaces or terraces on one or more sides.

from Britannica Enciclopedia

RichNY,

I found pictures of 8670 and as it turns out we will be in this cabin on our 10/30/05 cruise...

http://community.webshots.com/album/75676137RdpdYv

Is the webshots in the link above of 8670? I took a look at the pics and noticed that the balcony shown is not a balcony on the stern. The balcony in the pics shows the pier on the left. It's a side balcony. The balcony in an AE would be looking at the east river and is larger and you can use it while the ship is sailing.

We were on the same 12/9 cruise when one of the Azipods wasn't working right and we couldn't go at full speed.

We went again in May and stayed in 9236, AE in stern. The balcony is larger. The ship was doing 25 knots this time and the only time you feel the engines is when they dock or turn sharply.

You'll love the AE suite.

We leave in 11 days on the Dawn. This time in an AA.

Happy Sailings

Monty

Hey Monty

We were on the 12/9 cruise too...good thing we got int St.Thomas late. I probably saved a fortune in Glitters..:D ..

We actually booked AE Minis but our TA got us a great price on a upgrade so we jumped on it...as long as the balcony is big enough to sit out there and have a drink...we'll be happy..:) Maybe I'll bring my fishing pole...:rolleyes:

My fiance and I are booked on the Jewel (Mediterranean) in an AD. From what I can see, the AD on the Jewel is 287 (room) and 88 (balcony) square feet compared to the AE of 286 and 65 square feet. The AD is on 10 while the AE is on 9. For such minimal differences (that I can see), there is a $150 per person difference.

Is there anything that I am missing that could justify this price difference? I know that the AD's are labeled as Romance Suites and was wondering if the decor was different.

If anyone has had an AD on the Dawn or Jewel, I'd love to hear their take.

PS. I know that it is only $300 dollars, but I am sure anyone that has gotten married can attest, it is so easy to say, "Well, it's just a couple of dollars more." That $300 would pay for some of those expensive European shore excurssions!

My fiance and I are booked on the Jewel (Mediterranean) in an AD. From what I can see, the AD on the Jewel is 287 (room) and 88 (balcony) square feet compared to the AE of 286 and 65 square feet. The AD is on 10 while the AE is on 9. For such minimal differences (that I can see), there is a $150 per person difference.

Is there anything that I am missing that could justify this price difference? I know that the AD's are labeled as Romance Suites and was wondering if the decor was different.

If anyone has had an AD on the Dawn or Jewel, I'd love to hear their take.

PS. I know that it is only $300 dollars, but I am sure anyone that has gotten married can attest, it is so easy to say, "Well, it's just a couple of dollars more." That $300 would pay for some of those expensive European shore excurssions!

I don't believe there is any other difference - bigger balcony, higher floor. Why does a BA cost more then a BC - location location location.

FYI I am in an AE on the Jewel in 10 days :)

Excellent! We are booked in 10164 for May 06. I thought about the inner AD's for the larger balconies, but opted for outer one so only one neighbor. We really enjoy the balcony, and prefer to have as few distractions as possible.

I can't wait for your pictures. Now only if I could convince my fiance that I was as excited about the wedding as I am the honeymoon! ;)

i will try to get some pictures if the room is open when we get on. i could not resist the bigger balcony. :) the honeymoon is exciting. the wedding is just a lot of money and planning. just be sure to tell her she did a fantastic job. congrats and good luck. :)

Archived