Farewell to the Martini Bar

jelayne

Can anyone read and comprehend what was said? It is not and never has been a quiet bar. It is noisier than in the past but I think most people have adapted to the way it is "normally" now. It is only the extreme times that concern most people.

Nope.

There are certain posters here who simply cannot believe that there is variance in the music level. They think that since it was fine on their one cruise they don't want it to change. What they don't realize is that their "fine" might very well be our "fine" because they've sailed so infrequently that they have nothing to compare it to. But will come here and play the same record over and over.

You've seen it more than we have, but I will repeat again. We've had 4 sailings where it was no problem at all and 2 that it was.

Nope.

There are certain posters here who simply cannot believe that there is variance in the music level. They think that since it was fine on their one cruise they don't want it to change. What they don't realize is that their "fine" might very well be our "fine" because they've sailed so infrequently that they have nothing to compare it to. But will come here and play the same record over and over.

You've seen it more than we have, but I will repeat again. We've had 4 sailings where it was no problem at all and 2 that it was.

And there are certain posters who can't believe there is variance in OPNION of the music level - even on the same cruise.

And here lies the problem - it used to be ... that's what's annoying past cruisers.

Is it me or does this thread go round in circles ????????:confused:

Well as a future X cruiser when I see this on their website:

Cj4cZL.jpg

I'd be pretty annoyed if I went there and it was a stodgy conversation hangout.

Cruise Lines can't always keep things the same, otherwise they'd stagnate and lose business.

Edited by tonyrocks922

Nope.

Yes...it maybe possible to be deaf without hearing loss.

dVxr4Ju.jpg

Cruise Lines can't always keep things the same, otherwise they'd stagnate lose business.

What is 'stodgy conversation'? Can you provide an example?

dVxr4Ju.jpg

Cruise Lines can't always keep things the same, otherwise they'd stagnate lose business.

It is not stodgy and a terrible place for in depth conversation. Sometimes you even have to scream your drink order.

I really need a definition of what 'modern' is from those who are using that world as a descriptor.

Can't speak for others but when I've used it to describe music I've meant that the music is reasonably similar to what would be played in a decent dance club.

oh no it's definitely NOT you.......amazing really... almost 200 posts on the music at the martini bar....and here I am adding another one.....

some like it loud

some do not

pretty simple, and as I said in my 1st post on this thread if you don't like the level its at when you go then seek out a supervisor and see if you can get it adjusted...if you can't get your drink and go elsewhere cause it's obvious that.....

some like it loud

some do not

we don't but then we DO actually like to speak to each other when out...so we'll go elsewhere if it can't be turned down....the martini bar bartender just won't be the one getting our tips....:eek::)

Imagine if everyone that had a preference bugged the bartender to change the music, .louder, softer different music etc.

Just drink somewhere else....

As someone posted earlier....these clowns have a hard enough time making decent drinks. They need bartenders, not jugglers !

Edited by Kevnzworld

I sure do not want to be at the Martini Bar with zombies who just drink and don't talk to anyone they are with especially if I'm prevented to speaking with anyone I'm with because I'd have to yell, which is very, very unclassy.

Sort of an odd picture just sitting there and staring at one another or maybe at the ceiling with nothing to say, but I do know people go to great lengths to avoid their spouses or partners and this extra loud music might fit the bill for that kind of desire to not have to interact with who they are sharing the cabin or cruise experience with.

I like it loud (and I've never had to leave a venue ever because I thought it too loud). I like it modern. Many do not like either. Many love bingo - I can't stand it. Point is we are all different. I like what I've seen in the Martini Bar and I don't apologize for asking them to keep it that way even while many others would like to see changes.

I don't think you have a thing to worry about. The usual volume is all most have requested. The "turn it down posts"have referred to times it was extraordinarily loud. Which is fine for you I realize. Every once in awhile people throw out random comments, I doubt it will change Celebrity's desire to cater to it's loyal Martini Bar crowd.

We just leave if a venue is annoying to us musically or otherwise. Have never asked music to be turned up down or changed, not since it was my job to do so anyway.

Edited by hulamoon

I sure do not want to be at the Martini Bar with zombies who just drink and don't talk to anyone they are with especially if I'm prevented to speaking with anyone I'm with because I'd have to yell, which is very, very unclassy.

Sort of an odd picture just sitting there and staring at one another or maybe at the ceiling with nothing to say, but I do know people go to great lengths to avoid their spouses or partners and this extra loud music might fit the bill for that kind of desire to not have to interact with who they are sharing the cabin or cruise experience with.

Here I can put that in fewer words for you:

"People who like things that I don't like must be terrible people"

Cj4cZL.jpg

Cruise Lines can't always keep things the same, otherwise they'd stagnate and lose business.

description says up tempo. Definition: fast, bouncy tempo, esp. in jazz. Do you equate up tempo with loud?

I do agree with your comment about keeping things the same. You can't always.

There is a song by Paul Williams that have the following lyrics: 'You can get back to the place, but not the time."

We all, for the most part, once we like something, have a great time, want to repeat that experience AND we tend to pay good money with that expectation in mind. Cruise lines don't have our memory though. :)

Edited by shipshape sam

Can't speak for others but when I've used it to describe music I've meant that the music is reasonably similar to what would be played in a decent dance club.

It's a bit like describing a spiral stair case without using your hands. Modern music has so many definitions...including John Cage's "five minutes of silence".

If you want to say "decent dance club" then you have to define the city (Tangos in Buenos Aires, etc)...and in some cases the section of town. What I think of as a decent dance club might be a place you wouldn't walk into at all.

I like modern celtic and bluegrass....probably not going to have alot of folks agreeing with me that they should play this in the martini bar :)

Edited by ghstudio

I'm curious, were you on sailings that were complained about due to loud music in the martini bar? I ask because historically, the martini bar has always been a very lively bar, particularly before dinner, & later in the evening. It hasalwaysbeen loud, with lively conversation, laughter, music, & the bartenders doing their shtick. I don't think anyone is complaining about that atmosphere, but that the music ON THIS SAILING that the OP was on was unusually loud to the point where conversation was not possible. Big difference.

I too love loud music; my wife has a heart attack if I start the car without turning down the radio. I don't know how many Celebrity cruises you've been on, & I do not mean that in a derogatory way, but if you like what you've seen in the martini bar, perhaps you've only been in the martini bar when it had the normal atmosphere. Perhaps the way you want them to keep it is the way it's historically been. Just saying.

Edited by richsea

I'm curious, were you on sailings that were complained about due to loud music in the martini bar? I ask because historically, the martini bar has always been a very lively bar, particularly before dinner, & later in the evening. It hasalwaysbeen loud, with lively conversation, laughter, music, & the bartenders doing their shtick. I don't think anyone is complaining about that atmosphere, but that the music ON THIS SAILING that the OP was on was unusually loud to the point where conversation was not possible. Big difference.

I too love loud music; my wife has a heart attack if I start the car without turning down the radio. I don't know how many Celebrity cruises you've been on, & I do not mean that in a derogatory way, but if you like what you've seen in the martini bar, perhaps you've only been in the martini bar when it had the normal atmosphere. Perhaps the way you want them to keep it is the way it's historically been. Just saying.

You've got it. If someone has only been on one Celebrity cruise it's likely they were there under normal circumstances especially since this is the first report of the "loud" problem for a while.

Rich, you've seen enough of these threads to know that there have been cases where two posters or reviewers had vastly different opinions of the music volume or the style of music when on the same cruise. I was most definitely not on the cruise with the OP - but there WERE a couple thousand others so hearing from 3 of them doesn't really tell us much about what was really going on.

Not everyone likes loud music - and that's OK. Some of us do - I'm voting to keep it loud.

Edited by wpgcycler

You've got it. If someone has only been on one Celebrity cruise it's likely they were there under normal circumstances especially since this is the first report of the "loud" problem for a while.

Actually, since this is the first and so far only report of the "loud problem" for a while, maybe we should all wait to see if it is in fact a problem...

Rich, you've seen enough of these threads to know that there have been cases where two posters or reviewers had vastly different opinions of the music volume or the style of music when on the same cruise. I was most definitely not on the cruise with the OP - but there WERE a couple thousand others so hearing from 3 of them doesn't really tell us much about what was really going on.

Not everyone likes loud music - and that's OK. Some of us do - I'm voting to keep it loud.

Remember the review of the same ship/same cruise where one poster said the music was always ear splitting and another said there were no issues with it. It just means, as you have said in the above post, some like loud music and others don't. It is called a difference of opinion. But for people to challenge someone else's opinion, just amazes me, since they don't know what the music was like on their cruises; that is why I've never told anyone that their opinion is wrong. I've personally been on cruises where people have complained loudly (louder than the music) about the volume of the music and the music was at what I would call an acceptable level.

I'm another vote to keep it loud and keep the vibe the way it is, so that it will be a fun/modern experience and not turn into just another bar. Hopefully, Celebrity reads that there are two sides of this coin!

I understand. I did believe the posters who said it was different than the normal, lively, loud. I believed them when they said it was extraordinarily so. Mostly because I have read their posts before and they have sailed enough to have a baseline of loud, louder and loudest. If you are skeptical, you may think there is a plot to overthrow the Martini area for knitting and bingo. Lol

Overall I really doubt between now and when you sail the Martini Bar will be more sedate than your other experiences. I expect X to march forward with plans that will suit your taste.

Agreed. Keep it loud.

Perhaps those who think the music is too loud at Martini Bar should try the Passport Bar.