Smaller yacht-like boats to smaller islands

Norwaylin

A friend of mine was on a smaller ship years ago that only went to the smaller caribbean islands, but I can't remember the name of it. They had about four sailing ships and the people who sailed on them were able to help out. They also slept on the deck and their meals were family style. Can someone help me out with a name, please?

With you commenting that the passengers could help out, I'm thinking it was very likely Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. Windjammer shut down in 2008 and had Legacy, Polynesia, Mandalay & Yankee Clipper at the time.

For other sailing ship experiences (some on these ships), check out:

islandwindjammers dot com

sailingshipadventures dot com

I'm currently reading The Ship and the Storm, which tells the story of the loss of Windjammer's Fantome, in October 1998. Sadly, thirty-one crew members perished, as the ship experience 50' waves and 100 mph winds in Hurricane Mitch. :(

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! What a quick response. It was the Windjammer Cruises. Is the book you are reading something you got at the library or purchased from a bookstore?

You're very welcome, Norwaylin! I am enjoying this fascinating book- that I purchased on amazon for $1. Also check out Barnes and Noble online. Search 'the ship and the storm jim carrier' for paperback, nook, and hardcover.

You and/or your friend would probably also like Barefoot Pirate: The Tall Ships and Tales of Windjammer by Robert W. Schachner & Ed Crowell. Check availability on amazon, there may be some used copies. Others: Windjammer Barefoot Cruises 2003-2004 and Hopping the Caribbean Islands- Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. Enjoy!

Windstar still sails. I believe they may embark in Barbados? I am sure they do not come to U.S. ports. Why not look into their sailing ships?

Windstar has cruises out of both Barbados and St. Maarten in the winter months.

A friend of mine was on a smaller ship years ago that only went to the smaller caribbean islands, but I can't remember the name of it. They had about four sailing ships and the people who sailed on them were able to help out. They also slept on the deck and their meals were family style. Can someone help me out with a name, please?

Why do "yacht-like" when you can do crewed charters on actual sail or motor yachts for little more than a veranda or suite cabin on a premium cruise line. If you've got a family or group with more than 4-6 passengers, you should check out yacht brokerages (these are not TAs) like Ed Hamilton (based in Maine).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why do "yacht-like" when you can do crewed charters on actual sail or motor yachts for little more than a veranda or suite cabin on a premium cruise line. If you've got a family or group with more than 4-6 passengers, you should check out yacht brokerages (these are not TAs) like Ed Hamilton (based in Maine).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We know people who have been doing this with two other couples for going on 20 years. They split the cost of a charter every year. They rotate who gets the better cabins to keep it fair. One of the couples is almost 80 and thinking about leaving the group as it's becoming more difficult for them to travel, and we were asked if we'd like to join. We declined this time around as we don't want to be tied to a specific vacation each year, but said to keep us in mind down the line, as it's something we'd be keenly interested in after we retire.

Edited by ducklite