Someone is actually looking forward to Dynamic Dining

ChipLondon

ME...............

Yes with all the bashing that is going on about the yet untried DD I thought i would try to add some positivity to it.

If I am honest yes I did enjoy Traditional dining for many years, the chance to met new table mates and create long lasting friendships. if I look at my Facebook pages so many of my friends are from those days.

However over the last couple of years with cruising on The Oasis and The Allure, along with other ships that have introduced more dining options, I have found that the MDR experience has changed.

On many occasions a large table of 8-10 would have several guests dining in other locations, and along with us doing the same the, so the usual chatter around the table is often not there. Along with guests on other tables around us missing, the atmosphere around the dining room can be lacking.

This also creates situations for the dining room staff, who often struggle to build the relationship with the guests in the way that many of us have enjoyed over the years.

So by enjoying other dining options over the years am I partially responsible for the introduction of DD, possibly so.

And yes I understand all the comments about penny pinching and the company is only trying to get people to spend more money, and that the concept of DD is only based on profitability.

OF COURSE IT IS.............Royal Caribbean along with all the other cruise lines does NOT only exist to give us cheap holidays, it is a business that chooses to create profit for its shareholders by providing value for money holiday experiences.

Value for money should always be the first criteria when judging any item we choose to spend our hard earned money on, be that a Big Mac or a Big Cruise. If the product is worth what we have paid for it is value, then be happy.

That will mean that some of us will choose the basic package, and others will choose an upgraded option and partake in DD,as I will.

But it is a choice, at least we have one whereas in the older days the option was MD or WJ. Also what we pay these days for the same option is on many occasions far cheaper than what we used to pay.

For me I would be happy if there was a fixed price for seven days that could be offered as an option for DD only, and therefore I would surrender my seat in the original MDR . However with DD this gives me the option to still enjoy some upgraded dining as well as the ability to enjoy different dining rooms and menus around the ship without extra cost. So therefore I embrace the DD concept.

As for making new friends that is still an option, just walk around the ship, remembering how lucky we are to be able to cruise anyway ( with god know how many meals a day ) with a smile on your face and try saying hello to a few people, as you never know but you just might meet your new best friend that way.

Dynamic Dining ..........BRING IT ON :D

Very much looking forward to it.

Fact of the matter is..if you don't like it then cruise another ship/line! No one is forcing to cruise in the first place ;)

Can't wait to try it out!

I may finally be able to get DW back into the dining rooms again. We gave up on them long ago in favor of WJ and other venues, because the food quality and choice in the MDR (even with the "new" menus) were severely lacking.

I totally understand! We very rarely use the MDR for the same reason and most often use the specialty restaurants (table for two please). We do enjoy formal nights and am glad we can go to the Grande any night(s) we want! We are looking forward to 'all things Quantum' -- endless activity choices (or not), interesting people, beautiful venues, and delicious food! See you soon.

I don't eat out in 8 different restaurants 8 nights in a row.

That's exactly what we do when we're on a land based holiday and why the idea of Dynamic Dining appeals so much.

I agree with others on here that it's even more of a reason to book with RC. We were really bored with the MDR menus and struggled to find something we liked on some nights on our recent Oasis cruise - and that's 4 of us! The ability to eat in the DD restaurants, together with hopefully some new Speciality Restaurants in the mix, is very appealing.

Just a note we heard today while on the Oasis. Although DD will have 4 different venues, it is told each will have a single permanent menu. This is an attempt, many feel, to drove many to the specialty restaurants to get higher quality, more varied menus.

Sounds like they are slowly moving to the NCL model.

That's exactly what we do when we're on a land based holiday and why the idea of Dynamic Dining appeals so much.

I agree with others on here that it's even more of a reason to book with RC. We were really bored with the MDR menus and struggled to find something we liked on some nights on our recent Oasis cruise - and that's 4 of us! The ability to eat in the DD restaurants, together with hopefully some new Speciality Restaurants in the mix, is very appealing.

I don't do land based holidays.

DD doesn't appeal to me, plain and simple.

I don't like deciding months in advance which restaurant I want to eat in and at what time and then wonder if it will clash with a show when Royal decides to open up Entertainment for booking some time later.

Some like it, some don't, no worries.

Just a note we heard today while on the Oasis. Although DD will have 4 different venues, it is told each will have a single permanent menu. This is an attempt, many feel, to drove many to the specialty restaurants to get higher quality, more varied menus.

I'v seen this argument before and I must be missing something as I don't understand the logic of it.

At the moment on a 7 day cruise you have the same menu as you will have on any other 7 day cruise - Mojo, Saffron, Pomodoro etc, each menu comprising a meat dish, a fish dish, a pasta dish, a vegetarian dish etc. If you're not a fish or pasta eater and don't want vegetarian (as with my DH) your choices are very limited and if you cruise several times a year, as we do, it almost means that one or or two nights a cruise we are forced to go to a Speciality Restaurant to find something which appeals.

With DD there are several choices each night on each menu which appeal to us - in fact I could eat most things on a couple of the menus. On that basis we are now less likely to eat in Speciality Restaurants as DD offer us a much wider variety of choices.

Also why would you assume that the DD menus will be lower quality :confused:

That is how it will work on Quantum, also.

I, personally, don't believe it is an attempt to drive people to the specialty restaurants. Even though the menus are the same every evening, they have a larger selection. I feel that the lacking food in the MDR would drive people to the specialty restaurants before what looks like to be higher quality food in 4 different restaurants.

I'v seen this argument before and I must be missing something as I don't understand the logic of it.

At the moment on a 7 day cruise you have the same menu as you will have on any other 7 day cruise - Mojo, Saffron, Pomodoro etc, each menu comprising a meat dish, a fish dish, a pasta dish, a vegetarian dish etc. If you're not a fish or pasta eater and don't want vegetarian (as with my DH) your choices are very limited and if you cruise several times a year, as we do, it almost means that one or or two nights a cruise we are forced to go to a Speciality Restaurant to find something which appeals.

With DD there are several choices each night on each menu which appeal to us - in fact I could eat most things on a couple of the menus. On that basis we are now less likely to eat in Speciality Restaurants as DD offer us a much wider variety of choices.

Also why would you assume that the DD menus will be lower quality :confused:

DD may be ok for a 7 day cruise but I see it becoming extremely boring on a 30 day or longer cruise.

I grew up a Midwestern, poor farm girl who ate what we had on the farm because we did not have the money for anything else. Therefore, I enjoy beef, chicken, potatoes, and garden vegetables. As an adult, I enjoy the same things. I have never developed a taste for seafood or other new things (yes, I've tried). I am willing to accept the concept of DD, but I just want a simple chicken breast or steak, with a side of potato and salad. The menus are seafood heavy (as they are now), and lacking a basic simplicity of a salad with grilled chicken, or simple meat and potato. When I read the menus, I honestly say, "yuck." Will I go hungry? Absolutely, not. But I do not want to go to the Windjammer every night. :) I have asked the agents at RCCL and they do not know for sure if anything else will be offered. I had one tell me that she will not be using DD on her cruise with her three teenagers because they would not eat anything on the menu.

We are Diamond on Royal and we have cruised 2 times on Celebrity and truly enjoyed ourselves. Elite status is fantastic and the food is truly superb to Royal (in our opinion). We will personally decide one cruise at a time, based on these changes matching our personal preferences. I can't wait to hear the reviews after this launch.

I also grew up in the Midwest on simple foods, although not a country girl. My tastes are much like yours, grilled chicken, steak, and even fish although not salmon or other seafood. I also prefer a garden salad and green beans or broccoli over the type of sides I'm seeing on these menus. I am worried that I will be forced to dine at WJ's alone most of the time, which isn't that appealing to me. My husband eats about anything and everything and has already said he does not want to be that limited because of my pickiness. However, I did speak to someone at RC that told me the options of grilled chicken and a salad would be available anytime, so I have hope... At this point nobody really knows how good or bad this experience will be. It will all be new for me, as this is also our first RC cruise. I have a feeling I'm going to miss the Carnival food, but will enjoy many other things RC has to offer.

Edited by TJV123

Looking over the menus again, I think I could easily eat at The Grande or the American Icon Grill if they would let me pick different sides or leave off extras. For instance, I could eat a few things at The Grande, but...

Entrées

Sole Almondine

Toasted Almonds, Broccolini, Brown Butter and Lemon

Individual Chateaubriand Wellington

Puff Pastry, Mushroom Duxelle with Bordelaise Sauce ~ But no mushrooms please!

Chicken a L’Orange

Caramelized Fennel, Medjool Dates and Orange Glaze ~ Not sure about this one, but no dates please...

And then there's the "premium selection":

20 oz. Dry-Aged Porterhouse Steak...Yum...but how much extra is this?

And the American Icon Grill I've already mentioned I could eat at if they would let me order different sides. I don't recall the other complimentary restaurant choices on the Oasis. And of course there's always the place that serves the roast beef sandwiches, don't recall the name or if it's open for dinner. Anyway, I guess this isn't going to be as bad as I once feared.

I'm looking forward to this as well.

Something that I have noticed many times on numerous threads is people complaining about the menu at American Icon Grill. I wonder if it's more the name of the venue that the actual menu.

Many of the dishes are not that far off some of the dishes on the current menus. Love the fact that there is surf n turf available every night. IMO the dishes appear to be quite a bit more upscale than your average diner.

ENTRÉES

CLASSIC SURF N’ TURF

Maine Lobster and Rib-Eye with Cottage Fries

NEW ORLEANS GUMBO

Gulf Coast Shellfish and Andouille Sausage

COLA BRAISED SHORT RIB

Red Beans and Rice with Root Vegetable Mash

PISTACHIO CRUSTED SALMON

Green Beans and Oregon Mushrooms with Vermont Maple Butter

SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN

Sautéed Okra, Dirty Yams and sweet Candied Pecans

AMERICANA BURGER

Aged Cheddar, Crispy Bacon, Thousand Island Dressing and Steak Fries

APRICOT GLAZED PORK CHOP

Sweet Potato Succotash and Braised Red Cabbage

SOUTHWESTERN FETTUCCINI

Smoked Sausage, Chicken and Poblano Cream Sauce

Kids menu is available

It looks like they are trying a comfort food dining room. The only thing missing is Ma's mac n cheese.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

Went on the NCL getaway this past summer to try something new. We are emerald on RCCL.

Their food model is fantastic. Eat when you want, where you want, and how you want. How could that possibly be bad? Cause you don't have the same waiter every night? Really, will that really ruin your vacation?

Give it 5 years and every major cruise line will have the same dynamic dining model.

I really don't see why people think that the selection of food on a ship can really get boring, if we all honestly look at our weekly shopping bag it would never replicate the same selection that we are offered on a cruise ship.

We all also know that Royal are not a 30 day cruise type of company ( and yes I know some choose to do B2B2B or more ) but none of those are ever saying let me of this ship so I can eat Pizza, Spag Bol, or Beans on Toast at home.

Unfortunately at home I don't even get a menu so I am happy with a selection of any kind let alone the choice of anything between 3 and 14 restaurant options :D

DD may be ok for a 7 day cruise but I see it becoming extremely boring on a 30 day or longer cruise.

I really don't see why people think that the selection of food on a ship can really get boring, if we all honestly look at our weekly shopping bag it would never replicate the same selection that we are offered on a cruise ship.

We all also know that Royal are not a 30 day cruise type of company ( and yes I know some choose to do B2B2B or more ) but none of those are ever saying let me of this ship so I can eat Pizza, Spag Bol, or Beans on Toast at home.

Unfortunately at home I don't even get a menu so I am happy with a selection of any kind let alone the choice of anything between 3 and 14 restaurant options :D

With 7 different themed menus plus the alternative menu now in the MDR, there are a lot of choice. I think more of the problems that I have been reading about over the past few years is that the quality of the food has declined. DH feels that way but he is a picky eater.

Nice post. I agree the toughest choice for us will be which restaurant to choose. I think I can handle the pressure. :D

We cancelled a previously booked cruise holiday to rebook at the same period on the Quantum repo to China. While the main drivers for that decision were the itinerary and the new ship DD was also a factor. Love the concept and my only concern is about how RCL will handle the logistics.

I have only eaten in a specialty restaurant once and that was because a group of great people that we met and formed a progressive trivia team with wished to dine together but because we all had traditional dining at the different seating times this was not possible in the MDR. With DD it should be possible to organise one of the complimentary restaurants and dine with people you just met at the time that best fits the groups wishes without the extra fee.

I am also interested to see if the menus on Quantum will change to a more Asian style as it leaves Singapore because the percentage of bookings on the last two legs will be a much higher proportion of locals. In fact I am hoping that this may happen.

Edited by woodyren