When did Princess start charging for fresh orange juice?

ijkh

I ordered it in the dining room at breakfast whenever we ate there. Others at the table would ask for juice and they would get the concentrate stuff but I always asked specifically for fresh squeezed and always got it but it was just in those little glasses so always ask for two!! :D It was free last Dec/Jan.

OJ in the Horizon Court was not fresh squeezed and if you wanted something different just ask one of the servers behind the counter, my partner always asked for tomato juice and they got it from below the cooler where the other juices were on display for the taking. I know they had other flavoured juices but I'm not sure which ones.

Kim

How big a glass is it? How much? When is it available?

Last summer on the Star Princess it was free. Is it just some ships?

thanks.

ijkh,

I've never paid for OJ in the dining room. It's offered n/c at Horizon Court in the morning (tiny glasses). There are no juice dispensers in HC only water, coffee, tea and iced tea.

The only time I ever paid for OJ (and it did surprise me) was a few years ago, at one the bars in the midafternoon. I had my own vodka and was going to mix a drink. Ever since, I've taken a glass or two from HC and left it in my fridge for later. ;) On a couple of occasions my room steward has noticed this and left OJ in 8oz glasses for me at n/c.

I got off the Star last Saturday and one morning when I ran up to the bar by the covered pool to get a coke for my son (he's 16 and needed caffeine to get him moving early in St. Petersburg!) I noteced a sign for fresh squeezed OJ. I don't know how big the glasses were, but I think it was $2.75/glass. Regular OJ from concentrate was still available in the Horizon Court at no charge. Hope this helps.

We order fresh squeezed OJ via room service most mornings of our cruise.

A couple of year's ago we started getting charged some days other's not.

Who know's what the real answer is to this question!

It's really GOOD though and we did get big glasses for 2.75 each.

Fresh squeezed orange juice was offered on sea days in April on Island Princess in Horizon Court. It’s a good size glass (8 oz?) and quite delicious – it is NOT the same as the small dispensed glasses of juice. The price was about 2.75 and worth every dime. Still available was orange and cranberry juices from the dispensers (and any other dispensed juice by asking) for nothing.

The price was about 2.75 and worth every dime. Still available was orange and cranberry juices from the dispensers (and any other dispensed juice by asking) for nothing.

This is something nice that HAL does every morning for free. Fresh squeezed orange juice. I guess this is another differentiation between "premium" Holland America and "mass-market" Princess? I think parent company Carnival is trying to make the differences more defined between the two brands. At one time they were fierce competitors. Funny the way things change.

Ernie

This is something nice that HAL does every morning for free. Fresh squeezed orange juice. I guess this is another differentiation between "premium" Holland America and "mass-market" Princess? I think parent company Carnival is trying to make the differences more defined between the two brands. At one time they were fierce competitors. Funny the way things change.

Ernie

That was an opportunistic comparison wasn’t it? Is Carnival Corporation really trying to differentiate the two lines or is this a product of the individual management, marketing styles and product offerings of Princess and HAL? Hasn’t HAL always been considered a premium line whereas Princess had fallen from the category years before they were incorporated into the Carnival family?

Personally, I don’t care – I got “premium” cruise line fresh squeezed orange juice and given I had budgeted twice as much for that vacation as I needed, the daily charge didn’t bother me a bit...I've never been one to skimp on what I want because it costs me something. I've seen too many people die holding their purses to do that. Besides that I had a very nice visit with the staff member who squeezed it for me every morning – making a new friend was well worth the $25 it cost me for the whole trip. If I wanted a different type of cruise experience, I would have booked HAL in the first place. I might have gotten free orange juice, but I would have been giving up a lot.

This discussion about "fresh squeezed orange juice" reminds me of a time when I was at breakfast at a fairly expensive hotel in Maine and my boss' wife asked if the orange juice was "fresh squeezed". The waitress seemed a bit non-plussed at the question but then answered with a great big smile that it must be, because the carton it came in said "fresh squeezed". :D

Ernie

Thats funny. And I thought Holland America was just another mainstream line. I think you need to check again Ernie, I thought the premium lines were Crystal, Seaborn and the like.

I might have gotten free orange juice, but I would have been giving up a lot.

I'm just curious. What would you have to give up? MUTS maybe?

In regards to Carnival's positioning of Princess and HAL, yes they are making a concerted effort to differentiate the two lines. The orange juice may not be a deliberate effort, but it is one example that differentiates the two lines. Princess will eventually comprise a fleet of very large mega-ships, just like Carnival. This will be evident in every newbuild you see come on line for Princess, and the eventual transfer of the smaller PACIFIC and TAHITIAN out of the fleet. HAL on the other hand will offer smaller ships with a more personalized experience. Even their newbuilds will be much smaller in comparison to what Princess will build. HAL will have the luxury bedding and the other "Signature of Excellence" features that place them in the Premium category. HAL's number one competitor will be Celebrity cruises. Princess will be more head to head with NCL and Royal Caribbean.

Ernie

Breezey Wrote: Thats funny. And I thought Holland America was just another mainstream line. I think you need to check again Ernie, I thought the premium lines were Crystal, Seaborn and the like.

Actually, Crystal and Seabourn are considered "luxury" lines. Here is a list of North American cruise lines and how they are categorized in the cruise industry.

Budget-

Imperial Majesty

Mass-market (contemporary)-

Carnival

Princess

Costa

NCL

Royal Caribbean

Disney

MSC Cruises

Premium-

Holland America

Celebrity Cruises

Premium Plus-

Oceania

Cunard

Luxury-

Silversea

Seabourn

Crystal

RSSC

Seadream Yacht

The World

Niche-

Windstar

Star Clippers

Delta Queen

Clipper

Orient

Windjammer

Budget 33 dollars for fresh oj every morning and try HAL or Oceana next time. I knew I was spoiled by Crystal but last summer I enjoyed all the fresh oj I wanted on the Star Princess. oh well.

Plus, what I would pay for a HAL cruise vs. a Princess cruise can buy me alot of fresh squeezed OJ (if I even liked it!)

I posted this a year or so ago, but to mention it again. I found the invoice for my honeymoon cruise 12 years ago on the Brand-Spankin'-New Carnival Sensation (2nd week cruising). $3,200 for 2 in an low level inside catagory for one week in the Caribbean. That's the difference between cruising then and now. I dont care how much the cruise lines are "mass marketed" , I would rather be able to take more cruises for my money now than get quality bedding, free OJ or the like. And those prices were on CARNIVAL!

Casey

Plus, what I would pay for a HAL cruise vs. a Princess cruise can buy me alot of fresh squeezed OJ (if I even liked it!)

Casey

I don't think I've ever paid more for a HAL cruise than Princess. Personally, I prefer Princess over HAL since I am still in my 30's. Princess attracts a younger demographic and has more activities. None the less, HAL is positioned higher in the marketplace and their "Signature of Excellence" enhancements are quite nice. The luxury bedding is what got me. It's to die for and it truly made a difference in how much I enjoyed my cabin. I can't remember a better nights sleep. Of course you don't have to be a "Premium" cruise line to have luxury bedding. Carnival is adding it to all their ships as well.

Ernie - who is happy on just about any cruise line, from Silversea to Carnival.

Had fresh squeezed OJ in the dining room and for room service (specifically remember this since we were doing "scenic" crusing around Tahaa) on the Tahitian Princess for no charge in April 2004. We were told we could order

anything off the regular menu (including omlettes which is what I had) for

room service.

Just had it again on the Coral in the dining room in May 2005 (Coastal) for no charge.

Is there some rhyme or reason to when they charge and not charge?

I'm just curious. What would you have to give up? MUTS maybe?

In regards to Carnival's positioning of Princess and HAL, yes they are making a concerted effort to differentiate the two lines. The orange juice may not be a deliberate effort, but it is one example that differentiates the two lines. Princess will eventually comprise a fleet of very large mega-ships, just like Carnival. This will be evident in every newbuild you see come on line for Princess, and the eventual transfer of the smaller PACIFIC and TAHITIAN out of the fleet. HAL on the other hand will offer smaller ships with a more personalized experience. Even their newbuilds will be much smaller in comparison to what Princess will build. HAL will have the luxury bedding and the other "Signature of Excellence" features that place them in the Premium category. HAL's number one competitor will be Celebrity cruises. Princess will be more head to head with NCL and Royal Caribbean.

Ernie

I think you’re postulating, Ernie. You don’t know that Pacific and Tahitian are going to leave the fleet unless you have access to some internal Princess facts the rest of us don’t. It seems to me that all cruise lines have new builds that are bigger than what they are currently sailing – even HAL with its Vista Class…they may not be mega-liners, but the trend certainly is toward bigger. HAL’s ships may be smaller in comparison with the world wide fleet, but they are still bigger than anything they’ve sailed before. Celebrity is going in the same direction with their new builds. Princess has always been a big-ship line, starting in the early 90s with Crown 1 and Regal. Sun Princess and Grand Princess were the biggest passenger ships in service when they were inaugurated. The fact that RCI is now putting out the behemoths seems to be a change in the trend of the last 10 years or so. And as I said before, the Princess fall from “premium” grace came before it was sucked up by Carnival Corporation – I wonder if Carnival is really making a concerted effort or are they just giving Princess the money they need to continue down the path they were already on?

And as for giving up MUTS – my experience with orange juice and a cruise was on Island Princess which doesn’t have MUTS to begin with.

I don't think I've ever paid more for a HAL cruise than Princess. Personally, I prefer Princess over HAL since I am still in my 30's. Princess attracts a younger demographic and has more activities. None the less, HAL is positioned higher in the marketplace and their "Signature of Excellence" enhancements are quite nice. The luxury bedding is what got me. It's to die for and it truly made a difference in how much I enjoyed my cabin. I can't remember a better nights sleep. Of course you don't have to be a "Premium" cruise line to have luxury bedding. Carnival is adding it to all their ships as well.
Ah – perhaps that’s what I’d be giving up…maybe the reason I continue to choose Princess is the same reason you prefer it over HAL. Interesting that Princess is now incorporating some of those same “Signature of Excellence” features into suites and mini suites on its ships. I wonder if you might postulate what that means.

I think it important to point out that as long as Princess markets and prices itself as it does now, offering high end features will probably be wasted on most of the passenger demographic – at least the 7-day entry level demographic. But I still maintain that Princess offers different levels of cruise experiences depending on the cruise one picks – a week on Caribbean Princess is not the same as 15 days on Island Princess, take my word for it. The interesting thing to see is how they will maintain the split personality – it’s pretty obvious that those who enjoy 7 days on Caribbean Princess and the experience that offers might not enjoy the 15 days on Island Princess and vice versa. But as long as Princess continues to offer to me what I want, I will happily pay for fresh squeezed orange juice.

bdjam wrote - I think you’re postulating, Ernie. You don’t know that Pacific and Tahitian are going to leave the fleet unless you have access to some internal Princess facts the rest of us don’t. It seems to me that all cruise lines have new builds that are bigger than what they are currently sailing – even HAL with its Vista Class…they may not be mega-liners, but the trend certainly is toward bigger.

Well, I did work at Princess for almost ten years both in the office and onboard ship. I still have several friends working at Princess, and while they are not senior executives they do have more insight than the average person off the street. Between what they tell me, and my own findings in various industry publications I subscribe to it's not hard to formulate some conclusions. I keep track of the entire industry, not just one cruise line and it's interesting to see how it all fits together. I don't know for certain that PACIFIC and TAHITIAN will leave the Princess fleet, but I would be willing to bet they will. Even now, they don't fit the Princess profile and this will become even more apparent as Princess grows. They were acquired before Carnival took over Princess, and I think the parent company has other plans for them. Princess has also proven it can sell it's very large mega-ships in more exotic destinations such as Asia, Australia, and Europe ... so these smaller ships are really not needed as "feelers" any longer. They would be better suited in one of the other Carnival Corp. brands or sold off to Oceania which is looking to expand. So call it "postulating" if that makes you feel better, but I just consider myself well informed about the industry. I'm certainly not the one making any decisions, but I am capable of formulating some inferences based on my industry knowledge.

In regards to Princess always having "big ships", it's not true. Princess started out with small ships (medium at the time) and kept them in the fleet for quite sometime. The catalyst that changed Princess was the merger with Sitmar. CROWN PRINCESS, STAR PRINCESS, and REGAL PRINCESS were not ordered by Princess. They were ordered by Sitmar and Princess acquired them by way of the "merger". It's interesting to speculate the direction Princess might have taken were Sitmar not acquired. Chances are the Princess fleet might have been similar to what we see at Crystal today. The Crystal ships are modeled after ROYAL PRINCESS and are basically an evolution of that ship. In fact Crystal was considered a Princess competitor when the line was first introduced. Times have certainly changed.

Its true ships are getting larger at every cruise line, but some are getting larger than others. HAL has not broken the 100,000 gt threshold and I don’t think they will. I personally think it was a mistake for Celebrity to do this, as it’s difficult to provide a “premium” experience on a ship that carries 3000 passengers. I totally agree with you that Princess is following the same path it began before Carnival took over. Princess was already planning to become a mass-market line when GRAND PRINCESS was first ordered. Carnival is giving Princess the means to grow even faster and operate larger and larger ships. I truly think the passenger demographics of Carnival and Princess are more alike than different, at least in the Caribbean and Mexico markets. As Carnival expands to more exotic destinations we may see these lines attract virtually the audience. I think where Carnival Corp. is stepping in to help further differentiate Princess and HAL is more on the HAL side. Carnival approved a massive fleet revitalization program for HAL, and of course we are seeing more “premium” features on HAL. “Signature of Excellence” is a massive and expensive undertaking, and it absolutely is designed to differentiate HAL from Princess, not to mention keep up with lines like Celebrity which itself has made many improvements. Future ships for HAL will stay at or just under 100,000 gt, while Princess will see ships of 160,000 gt or greater. HAL will focus on tradition and personal enrichment, while Princess will probably go for more gimmicks like MUTS, and the family market.

Anyway, enough “postulating” as you like to call it. Talk to me in a couple years time and we shall see how much of what I predict comes true! ;)

Ernie

:) Speaking of fresh sqeezed O.J................................

In the Horizon Court, on the Island Princess, this past April, fresh sqeezed orange juice was available, as an option, at $ 2.75 per glass. I considered this my "drink of the day", and enjoyed it daily, as prepared by Walter. :) They had a little stand set up........which they opened at 8:00 am each morning, and stocked with oranges and a juicer.

Regular orange juice, from concentrate, was available at no extra charge, along with other juices.

We never ate breakfast in the dining room, so I have no idea what went on there...................

Does anyone know whether fresh sqeezed O.J. is available fleet wide in the Horizon Court? (Does anyone, besides me, care??? :)

Archived