Cruise Luggage Tags

NauticalNelle

I know there has been debate over whether or not you should put your cruise luggage tags on before you fly or just before you head to the port. Well, I am here to tell you, put them on before you leave home.

When we arrived in FLL my friends’ suitcase came out. We waited and suddenly the luggage carousel stopped. The attendant told us, that was it, no more luggage for our flight. :eek:

We went into the United office, he scanned my luggage receipt and found that my suitcase had never left EWR. We were boarding the CB that day and the ship was due to leave at 4pm. The next United flight was not due into FLL until 4pm.

United called the Princess airport rep to the office. The first question they both asked was, “Do you have a cruise luggage tag on the bag?” When I said “yes” they both said that was great and would help in getting me my bag.

Although it was an inconvenience, I must say United was wonderful. Since it was only 9:30am when this happened, we had plenty of time before we had to board. United got us a limo, to take us shopping. They also allotted me $400 to buy new clothes and toiletries. After shopping, the limo took us to the port.

Once onboard, Princess was great following up with the airline on the progress of my luggage. I finally got my bag 2 days later in Grand Cayman. Princess offered me toiletries and formal wear, plus for my inconvenience, they gave me additional OBC!

The whole experience turned out not to be as bad as it sounded, thanks to the generosity and helpfulness of United and Princess. :)

I'm sorry for your inconvenience, but thank you for passing on this lesson. I've read that EWR can be hectic. I am reluctantly flying in the day before my Norwegian cruise next summer, but since I will be flying through EWR, maybe it's for the better. It does add to the expense of the cruise, though.

Because I lose everything and am a klutz to boot, I always attach the Princess luggage tag inside the bag (to one of the cinch straps) before we leave for the flight. At the pier, I take it off and put it on the outside of the bag. I use the plastic holders with the loops, so it's not an issue of finding a stapler. :) If I don't do this, the tag will most certainly get lost, and even though I'm not literally handling the bag once it's checked in, it's my bag and therefore subject to the Klutz Law of the universe, and someone might rip it off somehow. ;):D

Summer 2013 we flew using Princess eZAir from LA to Vancouver the day of the cruise which we normally do not do. We attached our Princess tags just in case they were delayed to more easily catch up with us using our durable reusable luggage tag holders. When they didn't arrive on the carousel at YVR we found the Princess rep. We didn't pay for transportation to the pier (used their rail system) however the rep said our luggage would have been taken directly to the ship. She couldn't confirm it nor could they tell us onboard if they had arrived. Fortunately just before sailing we received our luggage & had another great cruise.

The bottom line is if you're arriving the day of sailing & attach the Princess luggage tags there is a possibility they will not arrive on the carousel and were transferred directly to the ship whether you paid for it or not. We were concerned when they weren't there so luggage might go directly to the ship when arriving on sailing day with Princess tags attached.