Internet Access on Silhouette

Wine-O

Earlier this year Constellation instituted a new internet sign on procedure where you no longer need to go to the iLounge to sign up for an internet package -- you just open up your internet brouser, and it will prompt you to sign up for a package. If you are Elite or Elite +, your free minutes are pre-loaded on your seapass, so you just type in the folio number, and it recognizes you and sets up your free account. You no longer need to present your free internet coupon.

Has Silhouette or the rest of the Fleet incorporated this new system.

The reason I'm asking is I have a few extra internet coupons from a previous cruise and want to know if I will be able to use them on an upcoming Silhouette cruise. (just kidding). :rolleyes::D:D

Earlier this year Constellation instituted a new internet sign on procedure where you no longer need to go to the iLounge to sign up for an internet package -- you just open up your internet brouser, and it will prompt you to sign up for a package. If you are Elite or Elite +, your free minutes are pre-loaded on your seapass, so you just type in the folio number, and it recognizes you and sets up your free account. You no longer need to present your free internet coupon.

Has Silhouette or the rest of the Fleet incorporated this new system.

The reason I'm asking is I have a few extra internet coupons from a previous cruise and want to know if I will be able to use them on an upcoming Silhouette cruise. (just kidding). :rolleyes::D:D

We are just off the Silhouette. They have instituted the new sign on procedures you mentioned. Caution: we had very poor internet service - many complaints were made. They say you can use the internet in your stateroom - not always and the signal was poor most of the time. Recommendation was given to us by I.T. staff member in the iLounge - try to use the internet when in port as most passengers are off the ship and not too many people using it.

We are just off the Silhouette. They have instituted the new sign on procedures you mentioned. Caution: we had very poor internet service - many complaints were made. They say you can use the internet in your stateroom - not always and the signal was poor most of the time. Recommendation was given to us by I.T. staff member in the iLounge - try to use the internet when in port as most passengers are off the ship and not too many people using it.

Thanks. I'm on the Transatlantic next month with not a lot of ports crossing the pond. :)

I know the satellite receptions are spotty at best, but I'll just be using it to send/receive e-mail.

We just got off, too. Used my Note 3 smart phone all over the ship. Had the complete opposite from what you had. In fact, I talked to IT manager and told him that this was the easiest and fastest service I had on any cruise. Never had a problem on any deck.

What kind of device were you using?

What kind of device were you using?

I was using the ship's computers. My friend had her iPad with her - she had several connection problems during the cruise. When we were in the iLounge several iPad users were there complaining of the connection issues.

Oxo: glad to hear you had no problems. Too bad we didn't meet so we could use your Note 3 smart phone.:D

I understand that satellite internet connections are spotty at best. I'm just glad that I wasn't this one passenger who stated he was relying on the internet to conduct business.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks. I'm on the Transatlantic next month with not a lot of ports crossing the pond. :)

I know the satellite receptions are spotty at best, but I'll just be using it to send/receive e-mail.

I used a laptop in our cabin on the December 2013 transatlantic of the Silhoutte for 600 minutes during sea days (I would rather do some work on a ship than not be on a ship due to work). Although slow, I did not drop a connection once during the entire crossing.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Icafe on a recent Silhouette cruise and discovered that the security of the system was not what it should be. I tried to sign on to my Yahoo mail account and discovered that a previous user of the Mac laptop was still signed in to her account and if I wanted to I could have scanned all her messages. This even though I logged on the the Mac with my Silhouette user ID There are no warnings to sign out of your mail before exiting and it does not seem to have an automatic cache clean as many other systems do.

Also not being an Apple type I did not have the proper connector to use the mini stereo speakers that were provided in the suite we had. I suggest that if you want to use your own tablet or non apple device bring along a stereo male to male cable as the speaker will accept an external connection.

Last this is that the bandwidth on the ship was not apparently enough for all the users and it was not possible for me to use Skype using my android tablet.

----- the bandwidth on the ship was not apparently enough for all the users and it was not possible for me to use Skype using my android tablet.

So many people using the Internet- not unusual in this modern day, it's about time it was upgraded on all the fleet.