Zuiderdam experience an anomaly?

bayjoens

or ice but we meet our stewards when we get on board and give a small tip at the start and then more at the end if the service was excellent and it always is. Don't get massages so no problem with the tables. As for typos, one is not a big deal but if typos bother you, just read CC where you are not allowed to correct a post of another. Many don't seem to read what they type or know how to edit their comments.

I agree that one should not have to do this, but if one doesn't then the expensive massage is ruined and one will have bad feelings about it long afterwards.

igraf

Really? I don't think anyone should have to jump off the massage table (most likely while not clothed) and start looking to shim the table leg themselves.

Massages are expensive onboard ship; I think there should have been more effort made by the staff to fix the problem in this case.

You would not believe how often a minor typo (wrong day and/or date) would slip by, even after we had all apparently done our job with it. I would forgive the typo's, as they have to get the paperwork out to the passengers as quickly as possible and don't have the luxury of time for a lot of proofreading.[/size][/font]

typos, no apostrophe, it's plural, not possessive

and, I agree, typos should be forgiven

See, I still rely on others to proofread my work! :p

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I did notice that on the program guide the days of the week were off. Not a big issue. I had a good time sailing from YVR to SF.

After several RCL and Princess cruises, we were looking forward to experiencing the HAL, having heard they were a cut-above the others. We took advantage of a great deal for a short segment of a repositioning cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco. Other passengers were on board from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale and I am glad I was not one of them.

We were disappointed because the ship felt old and tired. The cabins weren't all that well laid out or appointed. The crew was very friendly for the most part. We left our used towels on the floor so they would be replaced, as instructed by the signage in our cabin. Our steward just picked them up, folded them and put them back in the bathroom. We called and asked for replacements, which they brought but didn't take the dirty ones which we have removed and again placed on the floor for clarity. This time we put them outside our cabin door. Yes, our mistake!!! But the crew member who knocked on our door was very rude about it. We could have been informed of our mistake with more courtesy.

The food was definitely better than the RCL food we had recently but it not as good as expected. I ordered and was served a lovely cheese plate but they gave me packaged saltines with it. Really?

At the spa, I was given a robe to change into for my treatment and although clean, it was very ragged and the belt was in grey and shabby. The massage table's legs were uneven and wobbled during my treatment. When I told the masseuse, she said nothing could be done. Oh well.

Also the "On Location" daily bulletin on one of the days had the day wrong. It was titled SUNDAY, instead of MONDAY, but the date was right. Later we saw that they corrected this by sticking a label over the mistake. There was also another slight typo in it. None of this is life-changing but it felt like lack of attention to detail and unprofessionalism.

I've always heard such great things about HAL. Was this an anomaly or fairly typical of the line? I know it was a repositioning cruise and not full, but shouldn't consistency and attention to detail, no matter what the destination or passenger attendance, be something worth striving for?

There are several ships older than Zuiderdam. Zuiderdam is the oldest of the Vista class, but Statendam, Ryndam, Maasdam, Veendam, Volendam, Zaandam, etc. are older. I think the oldest ship is Statendam. The age of the ship doesn't determine service levels or proofreading ability.

Roz

I do believe it is one of the (if not THE) oldest ship in their fleet.

Not hardly. There are 9 ships in the current fleet that are older than the Zuiderdam. Which is not an "old" ship, btw. Ships have a much longer life expectancy than the Zuiderdam has been sailing.

These aren't like cars that get replaced more often.

Unfortunately, I do not think it's an anomaly at all. My past few experiences on HAL have been similar to yours. One of which was on Zuiderdam and frankly, at times, I thought I was on Carnival with regard to decor, especially around the stairways. The decor is very outdated and gaudy.

Honestly, I do like HAL for that bit of a traditional feel they try to hold on to but honestly, I'm hard pressed to name anything about them that is better than on other cruise lines. About the only thing that comes to mind is, I loved my Signature Suite on Nieuw Amsterdam.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the responses. I really wasn't trying to be negative or complain but was just interested in whether our experience was an anomaly. Our previous cruises on Princess and RCCL have all seemed much more professional but they were also all longer. From all the posts here, I think I will try HA again but not on a short cruise.

Unfortunately, I do not think it's an anomaly at all. My past few experiences on HAL have been similar to yours. One of which was on Zuiderdam and frankly, at times, I thought I was on Carnival with regard to decor, especially around the stairways. The decor is very outdated and gaudy.

Honestly, I do like HAL for that bit of a traditional feel they try to hold on to but honestly, I'm hard pressed to name anything about them that is better than on other cruise lines. About the only thing that comes to mind is, I loved my Signature Suite on Nieuw Amsterdam.

Agreed. DW and I had several cruises on HAL in 2013 that were subpar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums