Debark/Embark Pan American Pier

chickadee1

Hello- Can any experienced traveler tell me what I will experience at Pan American Pier in terms of standing or walking a great distance? I remember debarking at Pan American Pier and having to walk a fairly long distance - don't remember if with luggage or not but certainly hope not!! Should have nothing to declare in customs as we are not shoppers but need to know about length of lines and if there is anywhere to sit during process. Thanks so much for answer!

Another couple of questions.

Are there porters at the cruise terminal? We will have four cases as well as our small carry-ons. So will need one to take our luggage to the taxi area.

When we get to the airport, do our checked cases have to be screened before we take them to the drop of area? This is mentioned in comments on the airport web site

The distances aren't too bad, I don't recall anywhere to sit but not sure.

There are porters who want to take your bags through customs to the taxi line.

Debarking is something done to logs at a sawmill.......... Sorry, I couldn't resist;)

The distances aren't too bad, I don't recall anywhere to sit but not sure.

There are porters who want to take your bags through customs to the taxi line.

Debarking is something done to logs at a sawmill.......... Sorry, I couldn't resist;)

I realized after I posted that I had made an error!! I was laughing too!!

I didn't think there was anywhere to sit and that is my problem!! Have to think about this!!

Another couple of questions.

Are there porters at the cruise terminal? We will have four cases as well as our small carry-ons. So will need one to take our luggage to the taxi area.

When we get to the airport, do our checked cases have to be screened before we take them to the drop of area? This is mentioned in comments on the airport web site

Yes there are porter's..

When you get to the airport you will need to have your bags screened (agriculture check) prior to getting inline at your carrier...this was easier than I expected..you couldn't miss it as it happened to be right by the door where we entered for our Delta flight..

Please don't worry we just returned 2 weeks ago from a southern caribbean cruise and sailing out/in San Juan was easy.

Enjoy !!!

Please don't worry we just returned 2 weeks ago from a southern caribbean cruise and sailing out/in San Juan was easy.

Enjoy !!!

My question is also is there a long walk to customs and luggage - I sort of remember this was so at disembarkation from Pan Am pier 2 yrs ago but memory is not always accurate!!

• 2 weeks later...

We were last there in Feb 2011. We got there as the doors were being opened and the line wasn't bad for embarkation. As I recall, the nine of us were through in about 15 minutes. Once through entry (but not up to the ship), there were some chairs because my sister in-law had a cough and she sat off to the side as a medical person checked her out. Then it was an fair distance up to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know, we were at embarkation about 11 am and had to wait until noon to get into port and then another hour to get on board ship! Outside I did find a bench to sit on and inside there was seating, also. Then there is a little bit of walking with escalators or ramps until you get to gangway and get on ship and begin your vacation! Not too bad. Probably should have listened to the email we got which said boarding is between 1 PM and 7 PM but we were anxious to get there. Anyway, probably had to check out of hotel at 11 so we would have had to leave and go to port anyway!!

Hi Ashland, I have a question for you because you have just been through San Juan. I know that this has been commented about, but I dropped the ball last week in Fort Lauderdale, which meant changing two flights.

If we are flying out of San Juan at 1100hrs to JFK and then Ireland, do you think that 1100hrs is a very safe bet, allowing to be at the airport at 0900hrs for check in.

Adventure in at 0700hrs

• 1 month later...
Hi Ashland, I have a question for you because you have just been through San Juan. I know that this has been commented about, but I dropped the ball last week in Fort Lauderdale, which meant changing two flights.

If we are flying out of San Juan at 1100hrs to JFK and then Ireland, do you think that 1100hrs is a very safe bet, allowing to be at the airport at 0900hrs for check in.

Adventure in at 0700hrs

I would love the answer to this question as well. Looking to book flight at 11:20 and wondering whether to book

After flight that would not be until 4.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We just sailed last March out of the Pan Am pier. You do take escalators down, but you get your luggage in the same room as the customs line. There are porters available.

We did wait in line but maybe only 15-20 min. It was then a short walk to the transfer buses. Have a great time!