Question About Evening Attire - What Is Really Appropriate for Resort Casual Nights?

MalibuCA

My husband and I are taking our first Seabourn cruise in November, and I'm trying to determine how casual "resort casual" really is on board the Odyssey in the evenings. What complicates my packing is that we are taking two B2B Crystal cruises immediately following our Seabourn cruise, and I need to pack clothes that will suitable for both ships. Recently, Crystal revised their evening dress code to allow dressy jeans on casual nights. I was planning to take pants that are made of denim, but they are definitely not blue jeans. They are either a print pattern or pretty color, but the pants are denim and in the style of jeans - front pockets, front zip, back pockets, etc. I wear the pants with a pretty tank top, belt, jacket and flats or heels. I called Seabourn to ask if these are appropriate, and I was told that definitely NO denim of any kind is acceptable after 6 p.m.. I'm addressing this question here because you are the people who sail Seabourn, and you are the best source to answer my question of what is really done on the ships. I'm not opposed to dressing up more - in fact, I usually dress up on cruises more than many - but I need to know so that I can pack appropriately for both Seabourn and Crystal. I just want to do the right thing. Do women wear "print" or "colored" denim pants on resort casual nights after 6 p.m.? Or should I plan to wear dresses and dressier slacks on Seabourn?

Thanks,

Shelley

Part of the answer lies in where you want to dine. If at the Grill (pool deck) or Collonades, men can "get away" with more casual trousers, but not denim jeans. Jeans of other colors seem to be ok. Collared shirts are still a must, although, again, the Grill can be more casual.

But I think you will find that the interpretation is a bit tighter in the Restaurant where denim is definitely out.

In summary, there is no clear answer!

Shelley,

I have a folder of pictures I took on the Quest a month ago. Montreal to Boston.

There is a sequence on a sail away dance evening. When you see that you will have no fears.

But I'll let the style gurus guide you more precisely.

Take a look at the dress code thread. It has not moved much since I last posted and I guess I drove them all away.

Tony

British to the core...

What is the world are "dressy jeans"? How 'bout dressy tee shirts and tank tops (men) and tube tops (women)?

My advice? Save yourself aggro and dress as you would if you were part of a well traveled and thoughful passenger complement on a Seabourn ship. Simple as that. And that means no sweat bands, sweaty gym gear and trainers in the Observation Bar after 18:00, if you don't mind. That way the crew and other passengers won't have cause to roll their eyes.

Enjoy your cruises!

Do women wear "print" or "colored" denim pants on resort casual nights after 6 p.m.? Or should I plan to wear dresses and dressier slacks on Seabourn?

I have seen a couple of women wearing skinnies with a dressier top (when Im thinking skinnies, I'm thinking of the black or colored jean-styled skinny trousers like Chicos sells here in the US) on a casual evening. That was definitely not the norm though which is why it probably stood out to me.

I have one pair of dark black skinnies that I'd possibly wear with a very dressy top or jacket. But they are more of a twill than a denim (or at least they do not in the least bit LOOK like denim).

I'm always reminded when packing of something my grandmother used to tell me when I was younger...

Dressing elegantly isn't just about wearing what you feel good in. It's also wearing things that make others feel good about themselves when they are around you.

So that said... if you think something you might wear is going to cause others discomfort in your presence (i.e. "if you have to ask"), there's nothing elegant about that.

I suggest no-one should wear blue denim, however 'designer' in the evenings - certainly indoors. You can get away with black or other colours, but best to avoid trousers (yes, pants in the US) in anything which looks like denim. Simply good manners not to put the restaurant manager into a difficult position, IMO.

My daughter wore these

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/95/99/10/959910abeab973d7fefc2bb51f0dc924.jpg

No issue

She also had a pair of multi coloured guess linen jeans….

maitre d turned a blind eye

both were much nicer and dressier than some of the polyester black pants or even worse fleece style pants some chose…

there is nothing on the rules that say no fleece...

Edited by MrsWaldo

I think that the destination/climate dictates a lot of this too.

MrsWaldo, you guys were on for Antarctica, correct? I'm guessing pants/separates were much more prevelant there.

I recall my Baltic cruise seemed much dressier than the Caribbean!

MalibuCA - you say you are on Odyssey in November (so am I) and so I won't be packing my skinnies, not because of dress norms but because SE Asia is so brutally sticky hot. I'm doing nothing that sticks too much to my skin - so dresses, maxi skirts, etc. as I imagine I will want to enjoy a lot if tropical breezes on deck and want to be prepared for the heat!

Mrs.Waldo - yes, I really think it is the 'blue' that is the problem for a restaurant manager. Especially for men! Other 'dressy ' jeans, like your daughters, always seem to be allowed - and why not, I bet she looked wonderful in them!

I don't think anyone is going to be too bothered what pants you wear, they will be more concerned about the trousers which cover them.

Or is there something else you want to share with the group :eek:

Henry :)

I have forgotten how much I miss you. See you in December!

Cliff

Now, I'm confused. The earlier postings to this thread lead me to think that only dressy slacks (not jean style or denim material) and dresses are appropriate. The more recent postings, however, suggest that colored jean-style pants (aka skinnies) are appropriate depending on our destination. We will be cruising Malaysia and Indonesia. What's the consensus? Are colored/print denim (NOT BLUE) fabric "skinnies" in a jean-style cut appropriate, or not? If not, that's not a problem for me - I will leave them home or use them for our Crystal cruises. If they are appropriate, then that simplifies my packing for all of my cruises. The last thing I want to do as a Seabourn "newbie" is get fellow passengers - who I would like to meet as friends - annoyed with my attire. I just want to do the "right" thing. What would you do?

Thanks,

Shelley

Seabourn have just loosened-up their dress code. The new code seems quite relaxed, in fact mostly vague and non-specific, which suggests that, in turn, on-board attitudes will also be relaxed. I am sure your 'skinnies' are chic and, as far as I can tell, will be perfectly acceptable for evening dining in the Colonnade or Patio Grill. You might want something a little more formal/upscale/dressy for evenings when you decide to dine in the MDR, and in any case, I expect you won't be planning to wear 'skinnies' every evening.

As I have said before, most people couldn't give a fig what you wear on board, but the ambience and general feel is 'well-dressed' and stylish. Pack what you like. As long as you feel good and look good, that is how you will be perceived and everyone will be happy. If a few blue-rinsed matrons have their noses put out of joint because you are wearing the wrong sort of fabric all well and good. They are not going to be the sort of people that either you, or I, or the vast majority of Seabourn customers would want to sail with anyway.

Seabourn have just loosened-up their dress code. The new code seems quite relaxed, in fact mostly vague and non-specific, which suggests that, in turn, on-board attitudes will also be relaxed. I am sure your 'skinnies' are chic and, as far as I can tell, will be perfectly acceptable for evening dining in the Colonnade or Patio Grill. You might want something a little more formal/upscale/dressy for evenings when you decide to dine in the MDR, and in any case, I expect you won't be planning to wear 'skinnies' every evening.

As I have said before, most people couldn't give a fig what you wear on board, but the ambience and general feel is 'well-dressed' and stylish. Pack what you like. As long as you feel good and look good, that is how you will be perceived and everyone will be happy.

I agree with Flamin_June.

Having read your previous posts over time I am sure you will dress appropriately :). I know the style you mean and the right accessories will make it very stylish for the Collonnade or the Patio Grill. Travelling in Malaysia/Indonesia unless you get a tropical storm it will be lovely eating outside. I know I am planning a few outside evenings on my South Africa/Asia cruise.

I am not sure if you have travelled in those areas before but I have many times and jenidallas is right.........denim might not be the best choice unless it is very light weight. I have some patterned/coloured jean style trousers but they are cotton or linen which work better in the humidity. At that time of year it will be quite humid.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Thanks so much for the clarification. We are really excited about taking our first Seabourn cruise, and I hope to meet many of you on board in November or in the future. Now, I'd better get into my closet and start pulling out the travel wardrobe!

Thanks,

Shelley