Who has sailed on the Forward? Really Foward. I'm mean the front of the front.

blnorman

Has anyone every sailed in Room R1 of the Fascination? It's a porthole room, but I'm kinda concerned. Would you consider upgrading the room to ocean view to get out of it? Think we will be okay? It is our first cruise after all, but I never thought we would be assigned room R1.

Has anyone ever booked a cruise and been upgraded if the ship wasn't full?

Thing is the rep who assisted me book my cruise no longer works for the company, and I have been assigned a totally different rep.

I just don't want our first cruise to be ruined due to a bad cabin assignment. Maybe the forward isn't that bad? Maybe I'm over thinking it? Maybe I'm not?

Somebody stop me (in my Jim Carey voice)!!!!!! Seriously..... anybody out there who can advise? (before I call to pay for any upgrade) ... lol

We have done a 4J on deck 7 of the Trimuph..they are all the way up front too..we loved it but never done a porthole room..think it would be just to closed in for me..good luck..If I had that room I would upgrade..oceanview is wayyyyyy better..

We sailed in E3 on Fantasy, Fascination's virtual twin. Would do it again in a heartbeat! Love porthole rooms! Some light during the day but pitch black for sleeping! I am a really light sleeper & always bring earplugs just in case... only noise we heard waa the crew coming in & out of the door leading to their lounge, but it was nothing my 50 cent earplugs couldn't fix!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

We had 1207 on the Valor. It is a 1A really far forward and we had no problem at all and DH has been known to have issues with movement. The best part was when we reboarded in port we didn't have to wait for the elevator, just walk up one flight and there we were.

I have been in porthole cabins twice and I do enjoy them. Yes you do feel the movement and hear the waves hitting the ship and the anchor and thrusters on port days.

If you are sensitive to the movement and noise then I advise you to not book this cabin. I am not sensitive so I enjoy the movement and the waves when I am going to sleep. I also like being woken up by the thrusters and anchor early on port mornings. If it gets too loud then I just turn up the TV.

Will these forward cabins be totally quiet? No but you are on a ship not at home. :cool:

Edited by JohnSpo

Our first cabin was a Main deck Porthole cabin on the Fascination. You will hear noise when docking. I don't mind the motion forward but you'll feel it a little more than midships.

We stayed in 2221 on the Breeze which is pretty far forward too, I'd sail in either cabin again, I think the porthole cabins provide great value.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have never been seasick on any cruise I have been on, except the one time we were upgraded (found out at sign in) to a cabin on the Verandah deck all the way forward. I thought it was going to ruin my whole cruise until I was finally able to get and keep down a seasick pill (meclizine). I will never have a cabin that far forward again. But if you don't change it, the only thing I would suggest is start taking Bonine (generic is meclizine) the day prior to sailing and continue taking it every day til you debark. Don't take a chance. I would actually suggest this no matter where your cabin is, since it is your first cruise and you don't know yet if you will be seasick or not.

Whatever you decide on the cabin, I know you'll have a great time and become a cruise addict like the rest of us!

Not R1 but I was in R8 in March and LOVED it. That was the only cruise I have been on where I didn't hear that awful noise from the anchor dropping early on port days. I didn't notice any additional motion but that could be because the seas were calm.

Have done Riviera 8, and moved to Riviera 4 (the lower the number the closer to the front) 4 is right after 2, and we chose it because it is one of the largest cabins. When we had 8 we were sailing during tropical storm Sean, waves over 20 feet, almost bounced us out of bed! R4-smooth sailing, never even heard waves. Guess it all depends on the weather. Love the Riviera, the elevator is empty when you get on.... easy getting back from shore excursions.....and noise? well usually when we dock, but i am up on deck by then anyway.

To the original poster.... you mentioned that they can move you back a few cabins..... I am assuming still in a PT on the Riviera deck. If it were me, I would do it, as the further back you go, even though you're still in the front of the ship, the less noisy it would be.

I have never been forward because I get sea sick just looking at the water. So movement is not my friend. I do have a suggestion, be prepared since you do not know if you get sick or not.

1) bonine - I take at bedtime

2) ginger pills - I take at each meal

3) ear plugs

Everything can be purchased at your pharmacy or walmart (cheaper).

Now, this works for me. Haven't had any problems since taking this. But please clear taking any of this with your doctor. Somethings can have reactions, counter reactions with medications.

Enjoy your cruise!!

I'm not a big med person...as a matter of a fact I hate taking meds unless i necessarily have too.

All this motion sickness talk has me *** Geeked Up ****

Geez Louise!!!!!!

Seasickness is one of those conditions where prevention is key, and that means taking ginger or whatever works for you a day or two beforehand. Once you are queasy, just like extreme pain, it's more difficult to lower those symptoms to a manageable level. I got scop and meclizine before our Hawaii trip with 5 up-front sea days and was fine with just ginger, but I will take it with me on our upcoming two sailings just in case. No, I did not completely follow my own advice, but only because I know ginger has worked for me and I did start taking 100mg of that a couple days beforehand. It's good for any stomach upset, the flu, etc. My kids had a streak where they got sick on 3 consecutive cruises. I started making sure I had meds they could take as well. They will eat Gin Gin candies. If I start feeling sick on the ginger pills in the future, you better believe I will start the mec and then the scop if needed. I hope I never have to give up cruising because taking meds is an issue. I wonder how many cruise members regularly medicate....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We had the most forward cabin (M2) on the Ecstasy last year. We loved the portholes because not only did you get a little sunlight and a little bit of a view, you also got the space between the wall and the porthole for storing a few things! It was a little noisy at times but I had no problem sleeping at all!

I have stayed in forward first cabins several times. I got sea sick on my first cruise so I always take Bonine now. I have had no problems with the forward cabins. I actually enjoy forward as high up as I can get.

Agree! We sailed in V21 on the Fascination which is the front of the front, and it was fantastic! That being said, we were many decks above Riviera, so I can't comment on R1 specifically, but overall, we do enjoy forward rooms. Best of luck to you!

I'll be in e16 on the Fantasy later this month and i'm a little worried about motion sickness too. On my very first cruise I took Bonine as a preventive measure the minute I got on the ship but I had such a crazy reaction. By dinner time, it had turned me into a complete zombie. I went back to my room, sat on the edge of the bed and didn't move a muscle for hours. I never took it again and I've been fine on 3 cruises but I've always been midship. I'm packing Bonine and ginger gum this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll be in e16 on the Fantasy later this month and i'm a little worried about motion sickness too. On my very first cruise I took Bonine as a preventive measure the minute I got on the ship but I had such a crazy reaction. By dinner time, it had turned me into a complete zombie. I went back to my room, sat on the edge of the bed and didn't move a muscle for hours. I never took it again and I've been fine on 3 cruises but I've always been midship. I'm packing Bonine and ginger gum this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has happen to me. That's why I take at bedtime. No drowsiness.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by sweetsixteencruisers

Stayed in R3 on the Fantasy and the room was pretty big but it had a stale cigarette smell (which is yucky for me). Room steward said it is always like that. Lots of noise in ports due to the anchor/ropes. Other than the smell and the occasional noise the room was fine.

I don't suggest a forward port hole cabin for your first cruise. I had one on the Elation and when the drop the anchor it is a horrible vibrating noise that seems to last forever. I would not select another port hole cabin. If money is an issue - I would rather be in an inside cabin in the middle of aft of the ship.

Edited by cynt

I am prone to sea sickness. My right ear retains fluid which causes me to have Vertigo at least twice a year. My first cruise we had a Porthole room cabin U7. The first day I was really seasick. I couldn't even make it through dinner in the MDR. I had to excuse myself after eating our apps. :o This wasn't due to our cabin choice. The entire ship was rocking. The staff said it was rougher than usual that night.

When we arrived in Freeport I did not hear anything. However when we docked in Nassau our entire room vibrated. My DH and I woke up in a mild panic. Then we realized it was the anchor. The noise was temporary and wouldn't scare me away from booking another Porthole room.

The cabin had some movement as well but my body adjusted to it. By the second day I was fine. Our room was U7. If it were up to me, I would book a Porthole again in a heartbeat. It was like having an ocean view without the ocean view price. Unfortunately, on my last cruise we had a balcony and now my DH is hooked on those.

I've been in U4 on the Elation. The U4 is the 2nd cabin from the front, 2 decks above yours. From my experiences in that one, I'd book a porthole again, but then again, I wasn't as low as you and I'd only do it if it were a lot cheaper than OV.

Motion was so-so. Not too bad. The early morning anchor drop is only on port days, and so I could deal with that. Yes, it's loud. I remember some slight wave noise, but don't recall being bothered by it. I'd say to upgrade if you've got the cash. If not, stay put and expect some noise. The ship must be close to sold out if you've only got the choice of the same deck a few cabins down. If you can swing it and it's not much money, I think I'd do it.

I stayed in a porthole cabin on the Freedom before, and it was ok with me, but I have never been sea sick on a cruise before (7 cruises).

There was some movement, but it felt more like gentle rocking, and it was a southern Caribbean cruise, with calm seas, so I am not sure how it would be if the seas were rougher.

There was noise, waves thumping on the bow at night, didn't bother me because I knew what it was. Beware though of the anchor noise when docking in the ports early mornings. If you like to sleep late, be prepared for an early awakening:D

I have booked another porthole room for upcoming cruises.

Has anyone every sailed in Room R1 of the Fascination? It's a porthole room, but I'm kinda concerned. Would you consider upgrading the room to ocean view to get out of it? Think we will be okay? It is our first cruise after all, but I never thought we would be assigned room R1.

Has anyone ever booked a cruise and been upgraded if the ship wasn't full?

Thing is the rep who assisted me book my cruise no longer works for the company, and I have been assigned a totally different rep.

I just don't want our first cruise to be ruined due to a bad cabin assignment. Maybe the forward isn't that bad? Maybe I'm over thinking it? Maybe I'm not?

Somebody stop me (in my Jim Carey voice)!!!!!! Seriously..... anybody out there who can advise? (before I call to pay for any upgrade) ... lol

I was in R2 on the Inspiration (all the way forward in the port side - same class of ship). I was not assigned this cabin, I chose it. I have also been all the way forward on the Caribbean Princess (it was a side facing cabin all the way forward on the starboard side) and on the NCL Jade (in a forward facing balcony).

I have been all the way forward, in the middle and all the way aft (in rear facing cabins). A forward facing balcony is my favorite. If I can't get that, I'll go for a side facing balcony that is all the way forward. If I can't get that, then I'll go for a rear facing balcony. If I can't get that, then a side facing balcony in the middle.

Do I think you are in a bad cabin? No. However, if you are worried about it, and if you are going to allow it to ruin your cruise, then I suggest you pay extra to upgrade. Not because I think the cabin location is bad, but rather because it is better to pay extra to ease your mind than not to and spend all that time worrying about it.

Here are links to my three reviews of the above mentioned cruises and cabins. The reviews are long, but I do comment about the cabins. The Inspiration review (the ship is the same class as the Fascination) is the shortest of the reviews and includes pictures of the cabin ...

Carnival Inspiration - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916011

Caribbean Princess - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1240120

NCL Jade - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=728733

Edited by Cuizer2