French Door Cabins on Spirit Class Ships

Fishbone

Question regarding "french door" obstructed view cabins on Spirit class ships: I understand that when you open the french doors, there is a rail - what's under the rail? Is it open or is there a clear partition blocking access to the outside?

Thanks much!

Question regarding "french door" obstructed view cabins on Spirit class ships: I understand that when you open the french doors, there is a rail - what's under the rail? Is it open or is there a clear partition blocking access to the outside?

Thanks much!

I just had cabin 4123 on the Legend to Australia, and these are great cabins. I had chosen mine over a year ago, since it is between lifeboats. There is a plexiglass type pane that goes from the rail down to floor. You can lean over the rail, but you can't go anywhere. It really was nice to have some daylight and check the weather.

Debbie

There is a glass or plexiglass panel under the rail. The 4K cabin will give you a bit of view and some fresh air with the doors open. How much view depends on the location of your cabin. Study the deck plans to get the best view with a position between two lifeboats.

The doors are pretty heavy, too... hard for a 4 year old to open (not child proof, but certainly resistant). Plexi goes all the way from rail to floor, and is just a couple inches outside the door.

We surmised that they are doors, and not just windows, to provide additional emergency exits or lifeboat access if the deck above wasn't usable for some reason. What if there were a fire or explosion or riot up above? The lifeboats could be lowered to this deck, and boarded through these doors instead.

cruise2012024_zps50a9a423.jpg

Not a great picture but you can see the doors closed and the railing and plexiglass on the other side. There is a catwalk directly on the other side of the plexiglass that the crew can access should they need to. Never saw anyone on it during the cruise, then comes the lifeboat and you can see down to the promenade deck below.

The door is hard to open and we had a 3 YO and she had no chance at getting over the plexiglass or railing.

cruise2012023_zps446412fa.jpg

a little of our view, better than most

cruise2012025_zps1225b0b1.jpg

cruise2012029_zpsd076f605.jpg

Our view of coz

As another has stated, the doors are heavy. They do NOT have an approved method for keeping open, so everyone does their own thing, which could create a dangerous situation for a toddler or four year old if, for example, you shove the chair or mattress over- which is high enough for a child to climb up on and then topple over the rail, while attempting to hold the door open. Be aware there is no locking mechanism to hold this door open into the room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app