Tux rental…experience please

cruise182

Yes, they have spare suits onboard. There is always a mannequin dressed in a tux somewhere on the ship advertising that you can still rent formalwear during the cruise. So they must have a certain amount of stock they carry at all times. For what it's worth, we rented from the website on the Princess page, I measured my DH myself, and the tux fit very well and was nice and in good condition. He looked smashing, handsome, and very sexy --- well, I guess all men look better in a tux, right?

We did this for the first time on our last cruise and it worked out great. When we got onboard, the tux was in the closet. The jacket was too big and by the next morning, my hubby had the correct size. Even the shoes fit! It worked out so well that we will probably do this each time.

My husband rents from the cruiseline and it has worked out great. Last time there was a fit problem and they took the tux, altered it, and had it back the next day. He prefers to rent as then he doesn't have to pack a suit or tux.

3/3 - DH and 17 year old son rented tuxes for 3 cruises and had no problem with any of them. Now DH has his own, we won't have to use cruiselineformal.com, but would certainly recommend them to anyone wanting to use them in the future. Just be sure to have your DH's measurements taken either at a tuxedo rental shop or a reputable men's wear store and you shouldn't have any problems!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If you plan on taking a cruise each year (or more often), buying a tuxedo becomes a worthwhile investment over rental fees. If I did not own a tuxedo, I'd wear a dark suit and not bother. Packing isn't much of an issue for me since I have pretty much got things down to a minimum.

I'm long and lean, and sometimes a hard fit - have my own tux - thought buying one cheaper than repeated rentings.

Have bro-in-law of very average build (height & weight), and he has rented at least twice on Princess, and he has been very happy with the results.

On our first family cruise my SIL rented and was surprized to find the pants didn't fit about 2hrs before dinner. Well he called the purser and they had the right sized pants delivered with in 1/2 hr. So it all worked out ok.

My DH owns his own but on a 18day cruise he could not fit into the pants anymore, I suggested checking about renting pants only, but he just wore his dark suit that formal night. He just ate & drank too much. Gained about 15lbs.

cruise182 - with as many cruises as you have coming up you might want to consider just buying one. Take a look at ebay and see what seller TUXXMAN has out there. After sending him a couple of questions via his email he called us and we did one of his 'buy now' offers. Hubby is long and lean and it fits like it was custom made. We couldn't have been happier and once he put it on for the second time it was cheaper than renting.

Do a search on ebay. If you are normal size you can often find a real deal. Bought a dinner jacket for $35.00 looks new. Got it taliored at home for $15.00 $50.00 have a white dinner jacket that fits and looks like new.

Don

If you think you will ever cruise again, I will second the suggestion for Ebay and Tuxxman. I emailed him and he also sold me the tie and studs. We used to rent for my husband, but 4 cruises ago bought his own for less than $100 total including shipping and the pants were hemmed to order, and it's much more stylish than the rented ones (Pierre Cardin, charcoal grey, really sharp) . I got a couple of tux shirts (with a normal collar instead of that fly away one--much better) at Burlington Coat Factory for less than $20 each. Pants adjust about 3 inches so it works even with variating weight. We have saved hundreds of dollars by doing this and wish we would have done it sooner. If you're not familiar with Ebay, ask around and I guarantee you will find a friend to help you the first time.

Judy

I just did a search at ebay and tuxxman had a feedback of zero

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=tuxxman&item=-1&frm=2624

This is who I got one from last year. Good transaction. They left out a item in my order and had no questions about getting a replacement down. Go up to the quality (super 100's) and you will be gald you did. Buying is the way to go.

I just did a search at ebay and tuxxman had a feedback of zero

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=tuxxman&item=-1&frm=2624

go to ebay

click on Advanced search

click on Items by Seller - left hand side of screen

In the - Enter seller's User ID - box put "thetuxxman" (all lower case, don't include my "s)

then click on the View Seller's Items

Currently he has 3313 item out there for sale. He even has his own ebay store. Currently there are 7712 customer feedbacks for him with a 100% positive rating. I think everyone who has used him is in love with him. I know we are. He won my hubby over when he (if I remember correctly his name is Larry) convinced my hubby not to buy special shoes and simply wear his black tasseled loafers.

I think it is ok to list this - http://stores.ebay.com/THETUXXMAN_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

Have fun!

If you live near to a http://syms.com Syms store they're having their annual summer "bash" sale until Labor Day. I went today and got a Stanley Blacker 100% worsted wool tux - black two button - for $125. The all silk cummerbund and tie set was only $15 (way cheaper than what I've seen on-line) and the silk square to use fold i front pocket was just $2.25.

they didn't have the cufflink and stud set I wanted but those were only $12 - $15. Obviously not real god at that price but it makes no difference to me. I had to drive 80 miles each way to get to the store but it was worth it. I wear a "long" size and was a bit leery of getting the right fit on-line. The only alteration I needed for this was to hem the pants and they did it on-site while I waited for $5.50.

They dod not have any 100% cotton formal shirts in my size (18/34). Anyone know of a good source at low price?

Thanks everyone!! However I think I will just rent. I like the idea of not having to pack 1 tux, 2-3 shirts, ties, dinner jacket, shoes is appealing. We are flying in a day ahead and really do not feel like lugging anothr bag into the car...onto the plane....into a cab....in to the hotel...back into a cab....on to the ship....off the ship.....on another ship....into yet another cab...another plane....and yet into another car. My wife and 2 daughters will keep my hands full with all of their junk…..I mean luggage. Tired just thinking about it. Plus in 14 days I will never be able to fit into the same suit.

Thanks for the great responses!!

I bought two great tuxes on Ebay for around 50-75 each. One is a Brooks Brothers, and the second was a Neiman Marcus. Both in perfect condition and ready to go.

Found a good deal of formal shirts at the local church rummage sales for less than one dollar.

Archived