Football and MUTS

4cats4me

So here's a question for you fans, and it's really not a snarky one: Why do you root for a particular team? (Let's disregard the recent events that have made the NFL look like nothing better than a money-grubbing bunch of very rich suits covering their butts while protecting bullies.)

Do you support a team because you grew up in the city where they play? Or because you live there at present? What if you move? What if the team moves? Why should a San Franciscan, for instance, care about the 49ers, who now, for largely economic rea$ons, play 50 miles away, as though the Phillies were based in Trenton? I'm serious. I can imagine having a sentimental attachment to teams that play for the college you attended. But NFL teams are corporations with a growing record of abuse, brain damage, and assorted gladiatorial stupidity. It's not even that the play of a team reflects the culture of their city. So, seriously, why do you guys care? Is it just arbitrary loyalty? Or should I hope that Twitter makes a profit because their HQ is two miles from my house?

Thanks. I really do wonder about this.

Whew, Shepp! Guess you're not a fan! LOL. I'm a 5th generation San Franciscan. My fondest memories of my father are going to Niner games with him. It is a culture. A way of life. Before all of the nonsense, there was a game of skill, toughness and accuracy and during that game, you wanted your home team to win. Have you heard of the Green Bay Packers? People, working class people, own shares in that team! While I may not own shares in the Niners, it's in my blood. There has been a lot of bad press and I will probably never let my son play because of the brain damage, etc., but I do want to pass on the awesome memories of tailgates, family time and togetherness! (And THAT we still do with our son!) :)

Last year on my NE cruise, games were shown in cabin, too! It was great! However, I don't expect to see the Packers Oct. 19 on my Canary Island cruise! :) Too bad they already played the Bears!

It was great fun watching football on MUTS, a little chilly, but fun nonetheless! :)

Go Pack Go! :) :D

Great taste in teams. Go Packers!

So here's a question for you fans, and it's really not a snarky one: Why do you root for a particular team? (Let's disregard the recent events that have made the NFL look like nothing better than a money-grubbing bunch of very rich suits covering their butts while protecting bullies.)

Do you support a team because you grew up in the city where they play? Or because you live there at present? What if you move? What if the team moves? Why should a San Franciscan, for instance, care about the 49ers, who now, for largely economic rea$ons, play 50 miles away, as though the Phillies were based in Trenton? I'm serious. I can imagine having a sentimental attachment to teams that play for the college you attended. But NFL teams are corporations with a growing record of abuse, brain damage, and assorted gladiatorial stupidity. It's not even that the play of a team reflects the culture of their city. So, seriously, why do you guys care? Is it just arbitrary loyalty? Or should I hope that Twitter makes a profit because their HQ is two miles from my house?

I'm clutching my pearls and fanning myself after reading your post. ;)

I've been known to watch an NFL game or two in my life (in a single afternoon. At the same time.) so I will attempt to answer your sincere (non-snarky) request for edification...

I don't know why. Well, obviously it's because I enjoy it. Immensely. But to get to the genesis of my fandom is a bit more difficult. That I'm the only daughter of an only daughter of an only daughter and raised with guys (not dissimilar to growing up among a pack of wolves) probably has something to do with it, but that's not all of it, because there are plenty of practices I've grown up with that I've since eschewed.

For me, it's more players than teams. That's why I can root for the 49ers (Colin K all the way), and the Saints (how can you not love Drew?) and other teams except when they play against St. Peyton. Sure, I deplore the unforgiveable behavior that many of the players demonstrate, hate that we value (i.e. pay) our athletes a bazillion times more than we pay teachers and day care providers. But then I read a story like Demaryius Thomas', whose mother is in prison and has never seen him play a single down, whose grandmother died in prison, who would have ended up the same if it weren't for an uncle who turned his life around. He worked hard to rise above that...I have to respect that. The bad boys get the press, but there is plenty to admire in the NFL, too.

But, really, I just enjoy it. I also love basketball and NASCAR and figure skating and gymnastics and would rather watch any of these than movies on MUTS.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Interesting post! :) :D Being "older", I watched the Packers with my dad during the fantastic Lombardi days. I was a Packer fan and still followed the Bears living in Illinois.

Now I live in Wisconsin, 40 minutes from Lambeau and it is pretty hard not to get caught up in the Packers. They truly are a different organization and pretty amazing what they accomplish for a small market area! Go Pack Go! :) :D

LOL - My brother played college football and ended up with no college loans... :D